Goodbye Nana Gem

Pretty Miss Emma

Today we said goodbye to the crazy lady, Nana Gem. 
She was still happy and loved being with us, but her body just couldn't hang in any longer. 

For those who don't know Nana's background, she came to me 18 months ago as a 14 year old surrender. I took her on just to see out the last few weeks or months of her life. My younger dogs were so happy to have an old dog in the house again!! She also became my herding judging mascot, coming along to every trial I judged and making all the competitors happy and calm to see the old dottery girl hanging out while the younger ones worked with the sheepies! 
Yesterday we all spent the day together. She went for a ride in the car with Kenzie, Hamish, Skye and I. She had a wander on her familiar wandering grounds. We sat in the shade and had lots of treats. Then we came home so she could have a nap before she got to have roast chicken and chips for dinner. Kenzie gave her lots of kisses, both excited but also lots of gentle ones. She has been telling me Nana wasn't quite right for a couple of days, actually all the dogs have been. 
This morning she went to sleep forever while still eating her favourite, roast chicken. It was all very peaceful and surrounded with love. 
She is a dog that has touched the lives of so many people and other dogs. Everyone loved Nana Gem. She might not be with us now but we are all a little bit better for having had her in our lives. 
For a dog that was coming home for a couple of months of palliative care before her time was up, she certainly showed us over the last 18 months that a bit of love (from all of us) can work some miracles. 
Love you Nana Gem, so glad I could be your retirement home and with you to the last moment. 
post-34437-0-89608900-1445849832_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Bless Nanna Gem, she brought so much love along with her and you and yours gave it back in bucket fulls.

She looks such a beautiful old girl, but now Nanna Gem fly with the :angel: to the :rainbowbridge:there are plenty of our dear dogs waiting for you to come and play.

What a treasure she was for you Pretty Miss Emma, just shows what love can do, gave this dear precious soul so much more time than any one would have thought.

I am sorry and also a little teary as she is an oldie and I love the beautiful oldies.

I am glad she made your lives so much better and glad that she had the happiest last 18 months at your place.

Goodbye Nana Gem

So very sorry to read this, PME, but what a wonderful life she had with you and your kids, and what a lovely peaceful end.   Loved seeing and reading about her ... thanks you on behalf of all old dogs.