Trainer Recommendations please

Hi,

ive got a beautiful 4 year old dog that has been so gentle to all people and other dogs all his life. Since he got attached six months ago, I've noticed him just beginning to get dominant with other dogs and has started growling and aggressive if they play around. He's fine with people.

i want this trained out of him as it's not too bad at the moment so want to nip it in the bud. Has anyone got any recommendations for a decent trainer that can help. I'm in Fremantle.

cheers

ian 

Hi - You and  your dog need a bit more than a 'trainer'.

:) It needs careful assessment and work  by someone who can really understand the behaviour. 

I suggest  THIS PERSON ..who also provides an online course - where you learn more about why your dog is doing this, and how to help . CLICK HERE

Excerpt :

Some of What You’ll Learn:

• Reasons why your dog has become reactive/aggressive and what you can do about it.

• How to determine the difference between reactive and aggressive dogs.

• Methods to handle reactive/aggressive dogs.

• How to read your dog’s mood.

• Reasons your dog is reacting to particular types of dogs.

• How to use a head halter.

• What types of leads to use.

• How to have maximum control over your dog with your lead.

• What impact it has on your dog’s behaviour if they sense you are nervous.

• How you being in control helps reduce your dog’s stress.

• How to make your dog settle down in public.

• How to move your body to influence your dog in a positive way.

I also suggest you drop into THIS THREAD .. all about dogs like yours ! 

I agree with what Persephone has said.  A couple of other things....

Don't blame yourself or judge yourself for what has/is happening.  Just deal with what is is front of you.  At the same time don't feel judged when people give you 'that' knowing look. They haven't had to deal with what you are working through.

That said DO NOT PUT YOUR DOG IN A SITUATION WHERE THEY FEEL THEY HAVE TO DEAL WITH A POTENTIAL THREAT.  Your dog has learned that growling and becoming aggressive gets them out of a situation they are not comfortable in.  You need to avoid putting them in  a situation where they have to deal with stress of this kind.

A qualified trainer will be able to help deal with the issue and advise the best course of action.

• Like 1