Complaint about a dog breeder (Advice needed)

nathansmith

if you had said you wanted a girl then the fact she only had two girls would be why you were told only 2 available. also if you wanted a certain type or markings the breeder would only count the ones that fitted what you were looking for,  I know if someone wants a puppy of particular sex, markings or colour then that's the only ones I send photos of, waste of time sending info and photos of one that isnt what they want anyway, although do tend to say how many and what would suit their description and what doesnt

• Like 2

Same here Asal ,if buyers say they only want a girl then we don't go into details about the boys ,if they want a colour that wasn't born then no pup available .

I read that reply as only wanting a female because of the reply from the breeder of only two etc etc & if you want her a deposit is required .

We personally don't take deposits on puppies that haven't even had there first vet checks & nor now what the temp of that puppy is & the suitability to that home but each to there own

• Like 1

Sounds to me like they were under the impression you were only interested in a female, therefore didn't mention the boys? It could all be a misunderstanding. Did you ask them about it? Some breeders do try to pull a shifty sometimes, I've personally caught one out and called them on it and they had no reasonable explanation. On the other hand, sometimes genuine mistakes or miscommunications are made. Best to question them straight up and if you are not happy with their response, go else where. Having a good relationship with your breeder is extremely valuable and worth finding one you get along with. 

8 minutes ago, Rozzie said:

Isn't lilac called Isabella?

I remember in Spain cremello horses or was it Palomino's?  were called Isabella's because they were Queen Issabella's favorite colour

17 minutes ago, Rozzie said:

Isn't lilac called Isabella?

I have heard Isabella used for Dobermann's that are both liver and blue dilute, so genetically bb dd. But I don't think it is always used, depends on breed. Some seem to use lilac for the same genotype.

Edited by Diva

4 minutes ago, Simply Grand said:

I think there is lilac in BCs but it isn't a recognised colour in the standard.

I was interested so looked that up SG, I had an idea that Weimaraner's also came in that colour

http://www.bordercolliemuseum.org/BCLooks/Lilac/Lilac.html

this link below has a list of dogs carrying the dilution (just as an aside-note; I love that down-to-earth dog breed name... Rat Terrier!)

http://www.doggenetics.co.uk/dilutes.html

https://au.pinterest.com/pin/495325658990331551/

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rebanne said:

all I can say is that I'm not that type of breeder and I have some concerns with this 1st come 1st served business. I don't know, did you tell them you only wanted a girl? That might be why they said only 2 girls unfortunately. What breed has lilac as a colour anyway? Make sure the parents have had all relevant health tests and make sure you see the papers for them. Make sure the names match up on your pups litter rego to the names on the health certificates. Good luck.

Oh. Blue and 'lilac' ? 

Collie, I do hope you have done all the homework for breed!!!

You have also I hope, checked on skin problems etc to which blue dogs can be prone. :(

I also really hope you have made sure the breeders have done all relevant health tests on the parents :)

• Like 1

What breed has lilac as a colour anyway?

Border Collies for starters... Also Weimeraners, Great Danes, Deerhounds, Koolies...

Yeah I can see a misunderstanding between breeder and would be buyer here - if you said you wanted a female - then... they might only have two females - but lots of males. 

Given ANKC breeders are supposed to be breeding to improve the breed, and have homes lined up for all potential puppies - ahead of time... then it's rare you get to choose which puppy you get at all, unless you have already established a good relationship with the breeder.

I know someone who got told they were getting a puppy and then suddenly - that there were no puppies available - and later got told that there were health problems in the litter - which is extremely off putting.   We still don't know what happened, only that no puppy from that breeder for my friend.   But I can imagine if the breeder was dealing with sick dogs and puppies - they would not be at their puppy buyer consoling best.  They'd have other priorities.

• Like 1

What do you mean by "pick" Collie? That could be another point of confusion.

To  breeder the word "pick" means their opinion of the best puppy in the litter, or of that sex or out of what is available. And the virtues that made a particular puppy "pick" could be whatever that breeder is particularly wanting from type, structure, temperament, color, health.

It would be pet buyers who would think the word "pick" means the opportunity to select your own puppy. 

It is not uncommon for a breeder to offer a pet buyer the opportunity to choose from a couple of puppies that would be suitable for that particular home.

I select all my puppies for their homes and I make this very clear to any inquirers during the screening process. The average pet home have very little idea about temperament and type and often get very emotive in their selection. I even go as far as to say to potential puppy people when they visit that I do not wish to hear them start mentioning favourites or getting closer to any individual puppy. This puts unnecessary pressure on a very tired breeder that they do not need.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, asal said:

if you had said you wanted a girl then the fact she only had two girls would be why you were told only 2 available. also if you wanted a certain type or markings the breeder would only count the ones that fitted what you were looking for,  I know if someone wants a puppy of particular sex, markings or colour then that's the only ones I send photos of, waste of time sending info and photos of one that isnt what they want anyway, although do tend to say how many and what would suit their description and what doesnt

yes!! That what it seems like to me :) Collie mentioned getting a female pup , and so the following comment, directed to Collie  makes perfect sense, and is NOT lying about total number of pups born at all.  

only 2 girls unfortunately,

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mrs Rusty Bucket said:

Given ANKC breeders are supposed to be breeding to improve the breed, and have homes lined up for all potential puppies - ahead of time... then it's rare you get to choose which puppy you get at all, unless you have already established a good relationship with the breeder.

And that's fine, as long as it's communicated very clearly and puppy buyers aren't led to believe otherwise.

I recently had a similar experience to Collie- was led to believe we'd have some choice in puppy, paid a very substantial (half the purchase price) deposit after puppies were born, committed ourselves entirely to a puppy from that litter and then discovered that not only did we have no choice at all (although apparently other pet buyers did?) but we ended up with the puppy we least wanted.

He's a nice enough puppy but I was disappointed by the experience and it soured what should have been a really exciting, happy occasion. In future, I'd be very reluctant to pay a deposit because it does force you to accept whatever changes or decisions a breeder may make, even if they run directly counter to things said/promised previously.

Thankyou for your thoughts guys I honestly appreciate it

Nope I did not specifier either sex, I was open minded, the sex of the breed honestly does not matter to me. I have no intention of breeding anyway so she will be de-sexed.

The breed is boarder collie, fingers crossed all works out. 

I can understand keeping the males for breeders, I kinda wish they had been more open and honest though.

Karen15 I'm so sorry about your dog, I know that wouldnt mean much coming from a stranger. 

25 minutes ago, Collie92 said:

Thankyou for your thoughts guys I honestly appreciate it

Nope I did not specifier either sex, I was open minded, the sex of the breed honestly does not matter to me. I have no intention of breeding anyway so she will be de-sexed.

The breed is boarder collie, fingers crossed all works out. 

I can understand keeping the males for breeders, I kinda wish they had been more open and honest though.

Karen15 I'm so sorry about your dog, I know that wouldnt mean much coming from a stranger. 

You have confused people on here so maybe you confused the breeder and they thought you wanted a girl. Why don't you just ask them what is going on. They are obviously not hiding the fact that there are male puppies. 

• Like 3

If you wish to complain, write a letter/email to Dogs NSW, which you can google.  Write a cohesive story.  Even if Dogs NSW appears to do nothing, they will keep your letter on file.  

If you asked me for a girl, I would tell you about the girls, and perhaps not about the boys, as you didn't want one.

I dunno if these breeders did the right thing and were misunderstood or there was some miscommunication or they were dishonest about what they were offering.

I don't think I'd put a deposit down with a breeder I didn't know at least face to face or was friends with someone I knew face to face and I could go see their place and meet the parent dog and see the puppies.

But then again - every time I visit my country cousins - they know about some over excited border collie puppy that needs a home... Or kelpie... or mix.   And there's one lady at dog club that has a ready supply of fosters... so I probably wouldn't be putting down giant deposits on a pedigree show farm dog... Well there are a couple of lines I'd consider - but I know the dogs and breeders - not well but face to face.  And they probably wouldn't need to ask for deposits... ie they'd have so many would be owners lined up that if one dropped out (ill health or whatever), there'd be 10 more queued up that they know face to face. 

So many buyers behave badly - I suspect these outnumber the breeders in terms of treating puppy buying the same way they treat buying a lawn mower... walk into 6 shops - and then buy off the net and never let the other sellers know they found their product elsewhere.

• Like 1