This from the ABC about braccy breeds.

Lhok

I saw that Lhok, that surgeon is well respected (he also operated on Penny to remove a tumour years ago) I reckon that is he a mite pi$$ed off at the amount of braccy breeds he needs to fix.

Unless breeders do the right thing with their breeding program it can only get worse though I do think the reporter should have made the effort to interview some of the good breeders...the ones whose dogs do not have breathing problems, at least viewers would have seen that there are alternatives to unethical breeders. The woman interviewed really did smack of someone burying their head in the sand and seemed to be of the opinion that registered breeders were all doing the 'right thing' She would have had more credibility if she had said there are faults and she was working with breeders to rectify them

I think owners of these dogs should take the breeder to court, having large fines imposed (plus costs of the vet bills) may pull them into line and slow down the unethical breeders, it can only benefit the dogs in the end.

It seems that the greed-dollar is (again) more important than the robust good health/breeding of the dogs.

• Like 2

there is a video on facebook with Karen Hedberg with a group of french bulldogs anyone know how to find it?

I will try but dont seem to have much success finding stuff on faceplant once its disappeared off my page

found it,  thanks Baronia, I didnt spot you had when I found and posted it too. think both of us broke a record finding it

Edited by asal

7 minutes ago, asal said:

there is a video on facebook with Karen Hedberg with a group of french bulldogs anyone know how to find it?

I will try but dont seem to have much success finding stuff on faceplant once its disappeared off my page

I found this asal

• Like 1

Interesting article. but no hint at encouraging breeders to select away from the flat faces that I could recognise.

http://www.dogworld.co.uk/story.php/176760/

The comments section at the end are well worth the read too.

Bravo to this lady, thought I would post it in case u miss it,

14729151_10207370246603110_3221118757196

Linda Kitson ·
You are 100% right. We are facing the same battle here in Victoria, Australia, with s government trying to introduce legislation that will effectively end both pedigree dog and cat breeding, whilst st exactly the same time as in the UK (coincidence, I think not!!!) we have had an attack on the brachy breeds launched here by the AVA and the RSPCA. We need to all stand strong and united. We in the cat fancy here in vic are united with the dog groups,sharing ideas and information and I think that us what you will need to do there too - the AR agenda is clear - they have a motto here of one by one until there are none. And if people stick their heads in the sand and think they aren't after me or my breed, then think again - they don't care how many you have, they don't care what breed they are, they don't even care how impeccably they are kept. If you are a breeder, that is enough for them

Edited by asal

Is it things like show judging (not sure how to put it) that encourages more and more exaggerated features? I don't understand why, instead of wiping out breeds :eek: they can't just change the breeding requirements and also disqualify the shockers. 

Please excuse the lack of technical terms. :o 

A friend used to breed Himalayan cats, she tried to stop them removing from the standard "pleasant expression" after the flat faced gargoyle cats began to appear and their breeders were having trouble winning because they sure do NOT have a pleasant expression.

first we need to educate breeders and judges to start rewarding health instead of extremes, how that can be achieved is the challange.

Karen Hedberg is a vet and breeds French bulldogs. would love to know her opinion and breeding program

• Like 1

2 hours ago, asal said:

A friend used to breed Himalayan cats, she tried to stop them removing from the standard "pleasant expression" after the flat faced gargoyle cats began to appear and their breeders were having trouble winning because they sure do NOT have a pleasant expression.

first we need to educate breeders and judges to start rewarding health instead of extremes, how that can be achieved is the challange.

Karen Hedberg is a vet and breeds French bulldogs. would love to know her opinion and breeding program

Karen is a valued committee member of the major Frenchie breed club in Australia. Her opinion is quite clear presenting the video above. Her breeding program is the same as any ethical breeder - do not breed from stock with extreme health problems.

The best breeders and judges are already educated.

The shoddy breeders are only in it for what they can con out of the gullible public and don't care. 

We need to educate the buying public NOT to purchase from unethical breeders, but to insist on a pedigree of long lived healthy ancestors. Once it was easy to identify shoddy breeders, they often charged a lot less then the ethical ones. Unfortunately this is no longer the case, and unethical breeders putting dogs together without regard to health are often charging more than the ethical breeders. The shoddy breeders produce many many more puppies than the ethical ones, so impatient buyers don't need to wait. If the buying public demanded their monies worth, the shoddy breeders would soon have no customers and the vets would no longer be seeing so many brachies with extreme problems.

• Like 3

well at least its not just show dog breeders. Not that many seem to have listened to her either, the mess that is the halter qh shows its across all show breeding

17457507_1398733613481281_90378495188706

at least this colt can breathe even if it can never run without pain once the arthritis sets in

https://equineink.com/2011/04/24/have-halter-horses-become-the-bodybuilders-of-the-equine-world/

Edited by asal
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Roova said:

OMG the straight legs on those horses are shocking!!  How is this happening? 

they win in the halter ring, same for so many breeds, I bought a himalayan kitten for my daughter in 1988 she had a face, medium sized eyes, muzzle U name it, she was a cat, a healthy, long lived cat.

1280px-Persian_profile_view_moderate_typ

today they have no nose, bug eyes and all the same problems of the brachycephalic dog breeds.  I know it sounds nice to phrase that they did as "improving" the breeds. The show world is continually "improving" as one who was born in 1948 I do not see the total recreation of the bone structure of a breed as improving it, To me it is "destruction". but I do not expect the show scene will see it that way in my lifetime

1024px-Cat_Show_-_Ft._Lauderdale_-_Octob

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persian_cat

They removed the sentence "pleasant expression" from the standard in the late 80's so the gargoyles that had arrived on the scene, could win.

to quote an article describing the old style v the improved. "Blocked tear ducts were not as prevalent"

Blocked tear ducts can occur, but are not as prevalent as in other Persian cats. - See more at: http://www.cat-world.com.au/Cat-Breeds/chinchilla-cat-breed-profile.html#sthash.e2Fmx64B.dpuf

Edited by asal

I've had arguments on DOL about the Scottish Fold cats, the breeding of which is now legislated against at least in Victoria (yes, enforcement is a different issue). People who cried "not fair"!!! Nothing like breeding a pet with guaranteed early onset arthritis (as young as 9 months) is there.

With the horse, I'd like to think it is "only in America" and not an abberative breeding goal that has been taken up in our showrings.

But we do have miniature ponies, miniature horses, and Small Shetlands.  The aberration here is that their dental set-up is the same as a "normal" pony or horse, and the miniature's mouth is not big enough to cope with the number of normal-size teeth erupting from the jaw.  The littlies with this problem and no dental work suffer agonies.  Arnold, one of my Small Shetlands, is typical, I've had the horse dentist do some fantastic work on him in the past.  But he now has a new impaction problem, have spoken to the dentist and will need dentist and vet (for legal anaesthetic) soon to sort it for him.  And people go on breeding from ponies passing this on.