pup dying of hookwork after being wormed

juice

I met a lady i have known for a while from dog walking in my suburb yesterday who i hadn't seen for months and she told me she bought a new pup, and only had it 6 days before it died of hookworm.

She said the breeder said they had wormed it, the pup was transported interstate ( by friend of breeder),and was flat when it arrived which breeder said was probably the journey, however the lady took pup to vet when blood appeared in poop.She also wormed the pup herself again.

Vet gave antibiotics, but she returned a few days later sensing something was really not right and asked vet to do a hookworm test, it was positive and pup died.

The breeders vet called her and said that the strains were getting stronger and were becoming resistant to the wormers, has anyone else heard of this?

she was in tears talking to me, heartbreaking for the family, and although the breeder  reimbursed the cost of the pup, she was left with a $2000 vet bill as it all happened over xmas.

She also said she wasn't very happy with the vet.

yes, reg breeder of purebred pup before anyone asks.

I think its a hard one.

incubation period meant pup was sick before it arrived, was it flat before it left or not showing symptoms?, who knows, only the breeder.

Should the vet have done more first time around?

So sad.

So weird one of my regulars with a little fluffy told me this morning that a friend lost their old shepherd. They found a puppy from a breeder interstate. The day after it arrived it 'did a big poop with a worm, then died' was her words. 

The breeder refunded the purchase price. 

We had a whole litter in rescue that all died from hookworm after worming... the horrid things went so far as to actually chew their way out of the pups stomachs and through the skin! It was the most soul destroying thing I've ever had to try to render assistance for.

If ever anyone thought it was ok to skip those regular puppy wormings... tales like these should make you think twice...

T.

27 minutes ago, juice said:

According to the breeders vet the wormers are not working anymore . Never heard that before .

We were always told to rotate worm pastes with the horses. So mum also did the same with the dogs.  Ideally different active ingredient ever 2-3 wormings. That's going back 20+ years now...

On 26/03/2017 at 7:30 PM, juice said:

According to the breeders vet the wormers are not working anymore . Never heard that before .

We do occasionally have to use a different wormer to treat hookworm but it is important to remember that it is an environmental problem (general hygiene, over crowding) as well. The liquid puppy wormers are pretty useless for anything other than roundworm (and not necessarily that good at that job either).

• Like 1

OMG that's horrible!  Can someone recommend a good article on hookworm, including geography, drug resistance, avoidance, treatment etc. I've never encountered this paracite, and always assumed it was a problem 'somewhere else'.