Friskie

Perry's Mum

Friskie is a 19 (almost 20) year old Koolie.   I adopted her when her previous owner died - she was 14 at the time.  She is still lively, has an amazingly good appetite although she has always been skinny as a rake.   She runs around the house - sometimes with a look of "I know I came in here for something but I cannot remember what".   Her back legs are going and her rear end is constantly wet and no treatment has worked.   She seems perfectly happy and not in pain but my carpets and furniture are suffering.  An expensive operation on her back mayor may not help but she may not survive the anaesthetic.   I am very undecided on what to do and would appreciate others' opinions.

What about the kind of bitches britches made for entire bitches in season who are also house dogs? They use absorbent pads, a bit of a hassle as you have to change them but at her age maybe worth contemplating. 

That's a shame, they seem to be well tolerated generally (although they look very odd !).

The only other thing I can think of is to get some washable Kylie blankets and put them down in all of her favourite spots. 

Edited by Diva

You may like to speak to you vet about Canine Cognitive Dysfunction (dementia). CCD is treatable both medically and behaviourally, but as not all vets realise this you should see another if yours is not across it.

Potential symptoms seen in your post:

- pacing/running around

- confusion

- changes in toileting behaviour; if other causes have been ruled out perhaps it is behavioural?

Edited by Papillon Kisses
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...