This news story never seemed to get the attention it deserves?

asal

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/canine-corner/201404/designer-dog-maker-regrets-his-creation

What he didnt realise, purebred poodles are used as guide dogs in France and apparently America too. he didn't need to cross breed.. " German Shepherd Dogs, Labrador Retrievers, Golden Retrievers, and Lab-Golden crosses are some of the most common kinds of dogs used as guide dogs. Standard Poodles are also used sometimes for people who have allergies. Guide dog trainers consider a breed's characteristics when pairing dogs with people, and they pair more active breeds with active people.

"For a successful team to work out, it is really a lot about the bond between the dog and the human handler," Guide Dogs of America's Bernson explains."

1 hour ago, asal said:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/canine-corner/201404/designer-dog-maker-regrets-his-creation

What he didnt realise, purebred poodles are used as guide dogs in France and apparently America too. he didn't need to cross breed.. " German Shepherd Dogs, Labrador Retrievers, Golden Retrievers, and Lab-Golden crosses are some of the most common kinds of dogs used as guide dogs. Standard Poodles are also used sometimes for people who have allergies. Guide dog trainers consider a breed's characteristics when pairing dogs with people, and they pair more active breeds with active people.

"For a successful team to work out, it is really a lot about the bond between the dog and the human handler," Guide Dogs of America's Bernson explains."

Ahhh.. the benefit of hindsight :)   As an employee, I remember those first pups , I named one after my Mum!! I also remember doing a bit of work with a Standard Poodle  .. he was a bit too clever for many people  ;) 

I had to laugh, your so right, we had poodles, Mine was a toy, as was my brothers, but Mum had a silver Standard.  my only gripe was you could kiss 4 hours goodbye in one grooming session you just got so engrossed in getting it spot on so your dog looked glorious, you lost all sense of time.  Mum in particular

although my boy pickle didn't, he decided I had one hour and that was it.

Took me a while to twig, he had his own clock and nope once that hour was up he would look me in the eye and say times up!  or else, the growl would escalate by every minute over my allotted time until the family would yell out, let him alone for gods sake we cant stand the noise

Edited by asal
  • Like 1