Muzzle Recommendations

gryffindor

Hi all,

I'm new here :)  I'm a new mum to Gryffindor - a 4yo tri colour Aussie Shepherd (I think - he is a rescue, paperwork says he is a border collie, but everyone who has Aussies is adamant he is an Aussie!).

I'm new to fur babies of the dog variety - we always had dogs growing up, but Gryff is my first dog as an adult. I've navigated the various steps of dog ownership - castration, updating microchip, registration, obedience school, flea/tick meds etc etc. 

I'd like to be able to take my pup with my on the train when I travel, and here in Victoria it seems you can, as long as they have a muzzle on. This is not something I have *any* experience in Whilst he is a big dog, he hasn't shown any signs of aggression in the 3 months I've had him, so if I get a muzzle, it will purely be for whilst we travel on the train, it won't be something he is wearing regularly (train travel is infrequent, maybe once every two months).  I understand why this rule is in place, and I am happy to follow it, but Gryff is such a happy fellow, I don't want people to be afraid of him (he would sulk something shocking if 10 minutes go by without a pat!), so I'm hoping to find something inconspicuous.  Any recommendations?

I am amazed there is such a law, but noticing you are in Victoria, perhaps I shouldnt considering the inanely stupid stuff your pollies pass down there, (thinking their one that made it illegal to show a  Victorian born and owned dog debarked in another state, yet perfectly legal to show a debarked dog otherwise, have to wonder how many pollies were asleep at the wheel that day and wonder what else rubbish they have) this one seems to fit the parameter too?

have any of the other states done this too?

I would be heading down to a few shops and seeing what they have in stock, some have a huge range and some have a few.  Perhaps the greyhound type ones would be best, fine wire and barely visible and very light

You might like to look up the Muzzle Up Project. https://muzzleupproject.com/

Another option would be to 'own it' and decorate the muzzle!

https://muzzleupproject.com/category/muzzle-art/

For some reason I'm thinking superhero print for your dog. :laugh: 

You know, being happy to wear a muzzle is a good skill to have anyway as you never know when your dog may have a serious injury and need it to stay safe. (Pain can cause even the most docile dog to lash out). It's on the list of things I want to do with my dog if I can work out what sort/size muzzle would fit him!!

• Like 1

DARNED pretty.

although I have reins made from the same material and boy my dogs think they are perfect chew toy so dont leave it anywhere your dog can play with it when not in use or your will be needing to order a new one

Edited by asal

I've not noticed any difference in reactions to muzzled dogs on the trains/ in Bunnings than you'd get from an unmuzzled dog. "Everybody knows" those are the rules so it's very unlikely anyone is going to suddenly treat him like he's aggressive...and you'll also be helping to fight against that stigma that muzzle means aggression too. 

It's good for him to be familiar with them anyway in case of emergencies. 

Ive got a Baskerville - decorated as such in the pink above for social goings like train and Bunnings. 

And ive got an adapted greyhound muzzle for more active uses like not eating rubbish on hikes. 

Ahd it's just good manners to mive your dog away from ppl who may be uncomfortable or scared, muzzled or not. It is public transport, variety of people. Not everyone likes dogs and that's ok. 

If you go out, follow the rules and do your best to be a considerate commuter, you're improving everyone's views of dogs out and about!

do suggest avoiding peak hour, tails are easy to miss and easily trodden on. Also suggest the first or last carriage as quieter options. 

Vlines are a no. 

Edited by Thistle the dog
  • Like 3

What a beautiful dog!

An Aussie looks like a safe bet, but you never know. I have a 'Border Collie' mix, which I believed for some time. Got a DNA test, turns out he is a mix of mostly Cattle Dog, Rough Collie and German Shepherd!

Since you aren't looking for something inescapable or foolproof, considering he isn't actually aggressive, I think lightweight and airflow should be the main consideration.

I was recommended this muzzle some years ago and I'll recommend it myself:

http://www.fordogtrainers.com/dog-muzzles-c-92/wire-basket-dog-muzzle-for-everyday-walking-and-obedience-training-p-1457.html

There are so many sizes so you will end up getting a really good fit providing you measure your dog correctly. The airflow is excellent, and you should find this is much more lightweight than it looks. And yes, although I don't think you need it to be, it's very inescapable and secure on your dog.

Another muzzle I used for some time is the Jafco clear plastic muzzle:

http://k9pro.com.au/jafco-clear-plastic-muzzle/

I think this is the least intimidating muzzle you could probably buy and it is very light weight.

My personal issues with it is that I didn't find the airflow adequate enough. You could probably cut additional holes if you felt the same, however for maximum airflow I'll always go for a wire frame muzzle. Another bonus with this muzzle is it's softness, if your dog bumps into something or runs into you, it shouldn't hurt either of you.

There are only 5 sizes, perhaps because mine wasn't a good fit, it was rather escapable if he tried!

Regarding people fearing a dog with a muzzle, personally I find it to be the opposite effect. I've found that a lot of people are very comfortable near muzzled dogs, because they know they are safe whether they're aggressive or not. 

16 hours ago, asal said:

I am amazed there is such a law, but noticing you are in Victoria, perhaps I shouldnt considering the inanely stupid stuff your pollies pass down there, (thinking their one that made it illegal to show a  Victorian born and owned dog debarked in another state, yet perfectly legal to show a debarked dog otherwise, have to wonder how many pollies were asleep at the wheel that day and wonder what else rubbish they have) this one seems to fit the parameter too?

have any of the other states done this too?

The rule regarding muzzling on Melbourne suburban trains is not law. As with Bunnings, it is the private policy of the European-based train operating company, mirroring the policy in their European home base. It happened with the privatisation of Melbourne's trams and trains when Jeff Kennett was premier. Dogs are still completely prohibited on the Victorian government-owned V-Line country trains and I believe dogs are prohibited on public transport in all other states as the public transport there is state government owned.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tempus Fugit said:

The rule regarding muzzling on Melbourne suburban trains is not law. As with Bunnings, it is the private policy of the European-based train operating company, mirroring the policy in their European home base. It happened with the privatisation of Melbourne's trams and trains when Jeff Kennett was premier. Dogs are still completely prohibited on the Victorian government-owned V-Line country trains and I believe dogs are prohibited on public transport in all other states as the public transport there is state government owned.

Its been decades and I do mean decades since I took a dog on a train, from Bankstown to Central and back that afternoon, in those days the only stipulation was I stay in the carriage near the guard and he had to be on a leash.  as if I wouldnt have anyway. He was a border collie.

Edited by asal

Non-service dogs are banned on NSW trains. They are permitted only on one or two ferry services and on buses at the driver's discretion, which translates to rarely at all.

If putting a muzzle on a dog enables a person without a car to take their dog to the vet etc themselves instead of relying on the generosity and availablility of others, then that is a very good thing. When properly conditioned, dogs don't care about the muzzle on their face, it's just us humans that have hangups. Muzzles also protect dogs from the actions of others.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the recommendations and information! We went to look at options at the local pet store, but alas they didn't have any at all! Am now in the process of measuring up Gryff and I'll buy online :) 

The Bumas muzzles are certainly very colourful and because they are custom made to order are likely to be a good fit. However they are also as a consequence quite expensive compared to other muzzles.

The Bumas company is based in Austria (you can google on bumas beisskorb) and recently opened an agency in the USA. I wouldn't know how to buy one from Australia, perhaps through a european forwarding company. You would need to allow for freight costs so it would be an expensive exercise.

On ‎4‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 6:48 PM, Papillon Kisses said:

Edited by Tempus Fugit
Edited to include link to company website

I checked out the Kickstarter and their website and ran through the start of the process. It was quite simple. They ship internationally so there's no need for a forwarding company, and shipping costs are including in the Kickstarter. The cost looks reasonable to me for a quality, custom, made-to-measure muzzle. This isn't your plastic pet shop number.

I won't buy one; I'd prefer a custom collar and wouldn't use it anywhere near enough, but can still admire from afar! :)