Breed recommendations

Bushriver

Hi. Hoping for some knowledge from the brain trust on breeds that I know little about.  My sister lives on a large farm. They have working dogs and are dog people, but she is wanting a "house" dog for herself and her children. The working dogs live outside and are usually off working stock during the day. She is wanting a small to medium size that is good with young children. Medium to low energy. She's well aware of the need for training, exercise etc. The dog would have a reasonable active life hanging out on the farm, going for walks and playing with the kids. She is home most days so could spend a lot of time with  him/her. Nothing that requires too much coat matainance because of grass seeds and muddy dams, cow poo etc. All recommendations greatly appreciated. 

These a bunch of coated breeds that would be excellent but to be honest and from personal experience I would stay away from anything with even a bit of coat. 

I was thinking beagle maybe whippet maybe smooth fox or JR.  or perhaps a Staffy 

If they really want coat I'd strongly recommend a wire coat like a Border Terrier. They are awesome rugged little family dogs. 

• Like 1

Hi

I have a cavalier and find the coat gets full of grass seeds and sticks etc from the park. My friend also has a cav that spends a lot of time on a small farm and they have to get her clipped to avoid grass seeds etc... I wouldn't call it ideal for a farm environment. 

• Like 1

My first thought was a whippy , but loose on the farm a whippy would see something and be gone , beagle would put nose to ground and go the same . You need short coat , something that's not going to take off to hunt , but also good with kids . Well bred staffy might fit , but they can have issues with other dogs , so might not be ideal with all farm dogs . Border might work .

Thanks. I had that feeling about the coat and the grass. Border terrier might be worth looking into. What's their personality like? She's not keen on the jack russells she knows. A bit too full on. Would a border be happy hanging out in the house for part of the day, snuggling on the lounge at night, that sort of thing?

Might be a bit busy being a terrier ? 

I have a client who lives on 5 acres and has 3 young kids and they bought a springer as their first dog . They have a few cows and chooks and she is inside and she has turned out to be ideal .

Edited by juice

Working Springers don't have much coat, make for awesome house dogs (says me with two on my lap right now) but are certainly not low-med energy. I trim their feet but they are still prone to grass seeds - I think any dog will be to be honest. I have a friend who breeds Border Terriers occasionally - cracking little dogs. She also has Smooth Colllies. Happy to get her to pop in here too if you are keen for more info. 

• Like 1

Not sure @juice all the corgis (Cardigan and Pembroke) I've met have good with kids but also raised with them. Every time I've met one I've thought what robust, fun and great family dogs they are - but it could be that the only handful I've met are simply awesome examples cos it would only be about 5 I've met.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, The Spotted Devil said:

Working Springers don't have much coat, make for awesome house dogs (says me with two on my lap right now) but are certainly not low-med energy. I trim their feet but they are still prone to grass seeds - I think any dog will be to be honest. I have a friend who breeds Border Terriers occasionally - cracking little dogs. She also has Smooth Colllies. Happy to get her to pop in here too if you are keen for more info. 

Sorry to but in on your thread Bushriver, but TSD I am interested in learning more about Borders as I am looking for a new dog. :)

• Like 1

I was brought up with Borders (in the UK) and had them for a while in Victoria.  They are lovely little dogs but, like all terriers, can be independent little *****s, and can be prone to going  off and hunting on their own sometimes.  They are great for keeping your rat and mouse populations down!   Their coats  need a fair bit of attention to keep them looking sleek and tidy.

Having said that, I love them but not as easy to live with as the working bred springers.

*waves* here in TSD's command :laugh:

I currently have 5 Borders and reckon they would suit this situation pretty well- especially if it is just the one Border raised as a house/companion dog (the more you have- the naughtier they are ;) ). They are tough as nails physically, coats vary in terms of maintenance and what look you want but are not going to matt or tangle if you miss a grooming session. Mud and twigs fall right through the coat as well, a towel off if wet or a stiff brush if dry and you're good as gold. My non show dogs are generally hand stripped 3 times a year to let the new coat come through but I have one who barely needs any attention and just has a lovely short, hard tight coat with a few wispy bits! 

They tend to be good with kids and other peoples, they are not an aggressive or suspicious dog as a rule. 

Hunting and prey drive can be an issue so solid ir small guage wire fencing helps as well as recall training from day one. We are on acerage and our house/exercise yards are only 4 foot high - the runs they stay in when we aren't home are 2m high though and much more secure. Some are escape artists too but I find thisis more an individual thing. 

Activity level is moderate- mine are highly active, do dog sports, hike, carry weighted backpacks, climb trees, hunt etc but don't climb the walls if they miss a workout. They love to be with you and are highly adaptable! Just watch the food if not getting much exercise ;) 

We also have smooth collies and they could also suit but are a larger dog and may want to join in with the working dogs on the farm! Smoothies have the advantage of a lower prey drive andmore of a desire to stay around their "flock" than the terriers. They need a good run each day, but mental stimulation does absolute wonders for them. And some will play ball for hours. Ours also don't climb the walls if we are too busy. 

• Like 2

Thanks everyone. We're going to do a bit of research on the borders and the working springers. From what I've read so far, the borders are a bit less "terrier" than most terriers? There is only one breeder on DOL in WA so it might be hard to meet one? Collie may be a bit bigger than what we're looking for. Any other suggestions most welcome. 

• Like 1