Marking territory inside, suggestions???

I've had an ongoing issue with the female cocker I rehomed two years ago. If I'm home, no issues. When I'm not home, peeing on the couch or pooping inside, especially if raining. Two weeks ago I totally cracked it. After being in the yard for four hours (we were getting flooring installed) I let them back in, with the pet door open of course. I went out to the shop for less than half an hour . When I got back she'd peed on the couch. That was it. They now get barricaded half way down the hall in purgatory everytime I go out. I put her crate there and purgatory is the only time it gets opened. She has two other beds to sleep on, so she's not hard done by.

I have to say, it's the best thing I've ever done. No pooping inside AT ALL, even with the cyclone last week. I've got conni critters pet pads on the floor and she's used them a little but nothing like when they had access to the rest of the house.

I think the difference is due to the new floor, so no residual smells, but also because now the area for toileting inside is adjacent to her crate and she doesn't like that.

• Like 1

The first question is whether it is marking or urinating. There is a difference. Marking is on vertical surfaces, urinating is on horizontal surfaces. Marking is low volume and urinating is high volume. They are distinctly different problems. 

On 03/04/2017 at 7:18 PM, karen15 said:

I've had an ongoing issue with the female cocker I rehomed two years ago. If I'm home, no issues. When I'm not home, peeing on the couch or pooping inside, especially if raining. Two weeks ago I totally cracked it. After being in the yard for four hours (we were getting flooring installed) I let them back in, with the pet door open of course. I went out to the shop for less than half an hour . When I got back she'd peed on the couch. That was it. They now get barricaded half way down the hall in purgatory everytime I go out. I put her crate there and purgatory is the only time it gets opened. She has two other beds to sleep on, so she's not hard done by.

I have to say, it's the best thing I've ever done. No pooping inside AT ALL, even with the cyclone last week. I've got conni critters pet pads on the floor and she's used them a little but nothing like when they had access to the rest of the house.

I think the difference is due to the new floor, so no residual smells, but also because now the area for toileting inside is adjacent to her crate and she doesn't like that.

We fostered a little female dog that would do the same thing, pooped and peed on the human beds, as soon as she went to a home with no other dogs it stopped altogether.

I've had good luck with belly bands.  The ones I bought were very well made, reasonable in price and did the job.  I put a cut up sanitary pad inside and he only peed once!  He wore it for quite a few months (overnight) and never got out of it.

Here's the link:

http://stores.ebay.com.au/Fashion-Houndz/Pants-and-Bellybands-/_i.html?_fsub=2888653012 

• Like 1

Belly bands and going back to training the first steps. Take them outside, praise, praise, praise when they wee. "Good boy, fabulous fellow!" In a big loud high touched voice. 

Take them out regularly. Do it for a few weeks. Put the belly band on when inside. Take it off when you let them out. 

Inappropriate marking is FREQUENTLY stress/anxiety-related. Particularly if it has coincided or intensified with the move, that is what I'd be anticipating is the cause. I suggest it would be sensible to get a behaviourist out. It's hard to tell sources of stressors without being there and looking around. 

30 minutes ago, corvus said:

Inappropriate marking is FREQUENTLY stress/anxiety-related. Particularly if it has coincided or intensified with the move, that is what I'd be anticipating is the cause. I suggest it would be sensible to get a behaviourist out. It's hard to tell sources of stressors without being there and looking around. 

The two were doing it before we moved, the stress of being so competitive and at similar ranks in the pack I believe is the cause, also having a new baby/now toddler in the house hasn't helped.

I have spent the evening rearranging animals, crates, rooms etc. so now the laundry has been set up as a doggie bedroom (luckily we don't have our washing machine in there) as of tonight we are going to start locking Astro, Hugo and Claudia in there during the night, each has a comfy open crate. 

They also have a mat (not carpet), a snooza off ground bed, water bowl and pee pads on the floor.

Rascal will be sleeping in our bed still and will be the only one allowed in the bedroom at all.

If we go out the loungeroom will be closed off, they will have access to their bedroom, kitchen and backroom (also has dog beds) as well as the backyard.

Hopefully this will work and will minimise the chance of peeing or vomiting on the carpets, furniture etc.

• Like 4

On 4/5/2017 at 9:25 PM, Rascalmyshadow said:

The two were doing it before we moved, the stress of being so competitive and at similar ranks in the pack I believe is the cause, also having a new baby/now toddler in the house hasn't helped.

I have spent the evening rearranging animals, crates, rooms etc. so now the laundry has been set up as a doggie bedroom (luckily we don't have our washing machine in there) as of tonight we are going to start locking Astro, Hugo and Claudia in there during the night, each has a comfy open crate. 

They also have a mat (not carpet), a snooza off ground bed, water bowl and pee pads on the floor.

Rascal will be sleeping in our bed still and will be the only one allowed in the bedroom at all.

If we go out the loungeroom will be closed off, they will have access to their bedroom, kitchen and backroom (also has dog beds) as well as the backyard.

Hopefully this will work and will minimise the chance of peeing or vomiting on the carpets, furniture etc.

How is the whole family coping now with the dogs , what does hubby think of all this going on.

my hubby would ban the dogs to the garden he is not  very  Tolerant .

Try and look after yourself,  so you can think clearly ,   :) :)                                             

All men must be the same Pandi-girl. My hubby wouldn't put up with it either.

Yes, I agree, look after yourself R. You really do sound like you have your hands full.

• Like 1

Thank you for asking how everything is going.

My husband used to have very little tolerance but over the years he's come to understand how much they mean to me and is quite good about it.

So far Claudia and Astro have been very good, go straight into their crates and sleep however Hugo (typical poodle) has kept me awake for hours scratching on the laundry door, then when my husband lets them out in the morning he whines at my bedroom door until I get up, I was so exhausted yesterday arvo I fell asleep and didn't wake until my husband got home at 5:30.

Trying to stick it out hopefully Hugo settles down soon, I can't go on too long with so little sleep.

There's always one isn't there!  Assuming Hugo doesn't behave this way when you are with him, it sounds like he has some separation anxiety.  A sudden change in schedule can set it off and Im sure you're aware you may need to work on building his confidence up to being alone in increments.  Can you consider having him in a crate in your room so you can sleep through the night whilst working on him being alone through the day?     Once he can handle that you can move the crate gradually out of your room, the same as if he were a puppy.  Some great tips here if you need them. http://www.clickertraining.com/node/1556

Yes poor Hugo is an anxious little man who likes to be by my side all the time, he's ok if we go out but hates being separated if we're home.

I had to put them all out when the curtains were being put up, they had the back room and yard with comfy beds, and could see me through the sliding door, even then he cried, scratched, panted, licked the glass and spent almost the entire time squashed up against the door.

With the stormy weather we let them all sleep in our bed last night incase anyone freaked out, tonight I will put Hugo's crate next to my bed and hopefully that will work.

• Like 3

On 4/9/2017 at 7:30 AM, Rascalmyshadow said:

With the stormy weather we let them all sleep in our bed last night incase anyone freaked out, tonight I will put Hugo's crate next to my bed and hopefully that will work.

Hi Rascalmyshadow , how is Hugo feeling now about the changes  in the house , are the other dogs being nice for you & family :)

On ‎15‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 2:15 PM, PANDI-GIRL said:

Hi Rascalmyshadow , how is Hugo feeling now about the changes  in the house , are the other dogs being nice for you & family :)

Sorry some how I missed this, we've gone soft and let them sleep on our bed during the night but if they cant be supervised (if were out or busy in the yard, the carpeted rooms are closed off. So far so good.

I've also put Hugo on Royal Canin sensitivity canned with his Canidae dry and so far no vomiting.

Hopefully they all continue to behave themselves or I will have to be tough and go back to crates.