Do dogs enjoy being cuddled?

Kazm

Just wondering what everyone's opinion is regarding dog cuddles. I recently read somewhere that dogs really don't enjoy humans wrapping their arms around them for a cuddle.

I tend to disagree. My two little girls have always loved cuddles. At any time of the day I can call them and say "come for cuddles" and they both come over and as I crouch down ( they are mini schnauzers ) they put their front feet on my leg and then let me wrap my arms around them. If they both come we have " group" cuddles. At other times it seems like they seek me out and if I ask them if they want a cuddle they wag their tail ever so fast. Naturally I bend down and hug them. Even first thing in the morning as we all wake up and yes they do sleep with us, I call them over for a cuddle and they will come and lay in our arms, resting their heads against us. Yes, my girls are very spoilt but they return the affection two fold. Spoilt but obedient and know their place.

• Like 1

I think this depends entirely on the individual dog. My labs very obviously love cuddles and they even enjoy the kids laying with them and rolling around, which is one of the joys of the breed. I imagine many dogs wouldn't. Mine would love cuddles from complete strangers!

You are probably right. Some dogs I guess wouldn't and it probably comes down to how they are raised I guess. 

My two have been known to jump on a visitors lap before for attention. I think they sit and study the person first and then the friendship is sealed with a lap cuddle. My Molly doesn't even ask most times. She just takes a flying leap onto the poor unsuspecting visitor. Yes, she does have the occasional bad manners but most of our visitors don't mind and feel honoured by it. 

9 minutes ago, Bushriver said:

I think this depends entirely on the individual dog. My labs very obviously love cuddles and they even enjoy the kids laying with them and rolling around, which is one of the joys of the breed. I imagine many dogs wouldn't. Mine would love cuddles from complete strangers!

Exactly.  The things the “experts” say are patently ridiculous.  I’ve had dogs who would lie in my arms forever if they could; conversely, I’ve had those who stiffen up and push away from me when I pick them up.  I’ve had those who are a mixture - that is, they like to lying close and even touching, but not interested in lying on my lap or being cuddled.  We have to learn the differences in individuals and respect them.   

Humans are the same.  I love a cuddle, yet I have a sister who would rather have her nails pulled out than touch anyone or have anyone touch her.   

I am looking after a little dog the moment, Bushriver, who loves petting and cuddles from strangers ----- her behaviour when meeting people on our walks shows this.   

• Like 1

Cuddles/hugs from strangers can come across as aggressive to dogs, people they don't know pinning them, invading their space and preventing their ability to leave isn't necessarily perceived as affectionate by a dog. Might be. Might well not be. I don't like strangers grabbing me either. 

Cuddles by owners are quite different. My dogs are big cuddlers with friends and family, they love the close contact.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Diva said:

Cuddles/hugs from strangers can come across as aggressive to dogs, people they don't know pinning them, invading their space and preventing their ability to leave isn't necessarily perceived as affectionate by a dog. Might be. Might well not be. I don't like strangers grabbing me either. 

Cuddles by owners are quite different. My dogs are big cuddlers with friends and family, they love the close contact.

Yes I agree. A lot of dogs wouldn't like this, but two of mine in particular definitely would. 

19 minutes ago, Diva said:

Excellent point Diva, 

It took Scottie a while before he was happy to cuddle with me. Now he's the cuddle master & we have regular sessions of  "cuddles with Scott, with host Scott" 

One of mine loves cuddles with me and a select few other trusted people. He will leap up into my arms (even sometimes when I clearly have my hands full and can't catch him, he's not the brightest) and let me cuddle him on his back like a baby. He is nervous of being held by strangers though.

Another one is happy to be held and cuddled by most people but only in certain positions (he refuses to lie on his back) and only for as long as he feels like it, then he'll wriggle to be put down. If I say "cuddles" he'll stand up on his hind legs for me to pick him up.

The other one is too big for me to pick up and cuddle but she's happy enough being hugged, leaned on etc by trusted people and any kids, she'll usually lick in return. I don't think she loves it though. ETA she does love it from kids, any attention from kids is the best thing on the world!

I've worked with all of them since they were babies to at least tolerate cuddles so that if a child grabs them they don't react by biting. I don't expect them to put up with kids treating them like toys and would step in immediately if they were uncomfortable, and I don't expect them to put up with random adults who should know better grabbing them but I'd hate to have a little kid at a park or someone's house to get a bite from one of my dogs.

Edited by Simply Grand

I think humans often read more into and expect things from dogs .

Minis are companion animals people dogs ,love to be touched another that doesn't fit into that category won't enjoy cuddles .

Its interesting when people come out to look at pups you get those who let the pups come up to them and others who think if they make them cuddle them they will pick them and love them more .

One thing I have noticed more and more at dog shows with the general public is the trend to want to hug dogs or parents saying give it a hug ,why god only knows .

I have a breed that has a circle around him ,don't invade his personal space he is cuddly when he wants to be other times he is my watchman ,always aware of where I am .That is the breed 

I don't believe all dogs are cuddly and I think humans often want to make dogs into something there not and feel if the dog isn't it's a let down,Each breed has its ways of interacting but many a human often don't accept it .

As a human I don't enjoy cuddles  

• Like 1

I think whether dogs "like" cuddles is a moot point. In my opinion, we should be educating people to allow the dog (and cats for that matter) to INITIATE the contact. I've had well meaning animal lovers come into my house and unintentionally back my cats and dogs into a corner in attempt to make contact. Now I make it quite clear that the more you ignore them the more it will give them the CHOICE to approach you and they will undoubtedly be lying across your lap before you can say "Working Spaniel".

• Like 4

My Frenchie will climb on my lap given the choice but only really wants to look around and sit there quietly.  She's quite nervy so I think it makes her feel safe.  She likes a scratch and attention but cuddles only if we're both on the ground.  If she's picked up or God forbid turned on her back she looks like a stuffed dog with all four legs  stiff as a board and frozen in place.   

My Border Terrier soaks up any and all attention.  She will sit near me and tap my arm with her paw when she wants a scratch and she'll happily lie upside down in my arms and stare in to my eyes while I stroke her belly.  She does this thing I love where if I cuddle her when Im kneeling down she puts her head down and somersaults on to her back for a belly rub.  

Edited by Roova
  • Like 1

My stafford is my heart girl and as much as I want to hug and kiss her she cringes when I do so I know she doesn't like it. But she loves other physical touch (inner thigh rubs!) so we do that instead. My shar pei loves kisses and head smooches and will ask for them but if I tried to wrap my arms around her she freaks out and runs. I think if we pay attention to their body language we can usually tell what they like and don't fairly easily. I find if they really like something they will initiate it.

• Like 1

My dog doesn't like hugs.  She tolerates them from me but she doesn't enjoy them.  However she will sit on my feet and enjoy massages forever...  She will accept belly rubs from anyone... but doesn't like the restriction of an actual hug.   

Despite that she still loves my nieces even tho I have been unsuccessful in trying to train them not to hug her... and how to tell she's not enjoying it.   I guess the attention and massages and food she also gets from them - makes up for a bit of hug discomfort.

• Like 1