what a mixup

asal

Ikk.

Scottie was taken to the shelter and a chip wasn't located. I've often wondered if he had a dodgy chip as he was castrated, tattooed and extreamly well cared for and trained (house trained & taught to not get on furniture for example).  It didn't 100% sit that he wouldnt be chipped - and he's not old enough to have been born before 1999... 

My Siamese cat's chip migrated from his neck to the shoulder, just above the elbow. I saw him chipped as a young adult animal, so I know where it was injected. From memory, the vet scanned for the chip a few months later and found it on the shoulder. The migrated chip was easily palpable and I don't think it shifted much in later years.

When I was working at a shelter we had a female kitten desexed, chipped etc scanned post chip insertion and two weeks later when she was adopted we just couldn't find it. We knew what the chip number was and that she had been chipped but vet nurses, two vets and the adoption girls couldn't find it or feel it. She was rechipped a couple of weeks after she was adopted at the shelter's expense. 

I was there when the chips were read after insertion for the whole litter (I was doing the paperwork) and they worked but clearly it moved and also stopped working. There was a special note put on the original chip with the registry referring to the new chip including the new number as there was the concern if it started working again the details would lead people back to the shelter not the owners.

Chips do move and they can fail (like all technology). S*** situation for the original and newer owners. 

the scanners can also be dodgy. When I first got the cocker I'd been told she was chipped. So first vet visit I asked the vet to scan so I could get the number and update her with my details. First attempts failed. It wasn't until she got another scanner that the chip came up. All organisations that scan for chips should try multiple scanners IMO if first scan is unsuccessful.

• Like 1

I try to remember to get my dog's chip checked when we visit the vet.   It would be nice if that was part of the vet pet consult - that they always offer to check the chip for you.  

Sometimes I think it ought to be compulsory - but that idea has to be balanced with the need for dog thieves to get their pets veterinary care from time to time.  And it would put the vet in a very awkward situation if they couldn't say "ok" if someone refused the check.  

• Like 1

might have saved me an awkward oops, sold one pup, kept one and guess who has just discovered when he got his next vaccination, I gave the wrong paperwork for the pup I sold??????

Now to catch up with them and get it all switched, have my own scanner still having a headache trying to figure it out how could have goofed? the two chips have only one digit difference didn't help

Edited by asal

Yikes, that's a royal stuff up...!

Next time my dogs go to the vet I will ask if she can scan their chips. To be honest I'm not even 100% sure which details are on Scrappi's microchip/what registry he is on. He was adopted from Western Australia and we live in NSW so I think he is on both registries? Or a national one. 

Monty couldn't have any old owner details on his because the RSPCA did it when he was 5mths old. The previous owners never bothered.:mad :(

22 hours ago, asal said:

might have saved me an awkward oops, sold one pup, kept one and guess who has just discovered when he got his next vaccination, I gave the wrong paperwork for the pup I sold??????

Now to catch up with them and get it all switched, have my own scanner still having a headache trying to figure it out how could have goofed? the two chips have only one digit difference didn't help

Glad someone else is as away with the faires as I am!  Fortunately  I gave  one of the pups to a friend and it was only when I asked him if he would like the other one as well, that I discovered that I gave him the wrong papers!  Here was I calling "Calyspo"  "Mayflower" while he was calling "Mayflower"  "Calypso".!

Scanners are so cheap to buy any breeder should own one ,even pet owners could get one .
When puppy owners come out to us to look at the pups the puppy selected is scanned & chip number placed on there puppy receipt,when pups finally leave pup is rescanned to ensure it matches there paperwork .

The biggest issue is people just not scanning the whole body,i know some states listed the required areas for animal to be scanned & if people only follow the diagram its no surprise chips are missed ,it takes no time to scan all over .Yes some are faulty & owners simply need to pop into the vets & get the chip checked yearly & noted where it is located

On 02/04/2017 at 4:01 PM, Scrappi&Monty said:

Next time my dogs go to the vet I will ask if she can scan their chips. To be honest I'm not even 100% sure which details are on Scrappi's microchip/what registry he is on. He was adopted from Western Australia and we live in NSW so I think he is on both registries? Or a national one. 

Monty couldn't have any old owner details on his because the RSPCA did it when he was 5mths old. The previous owners never bothered.:mad :(

You can check what database he's on (if it's Australian) using this website.  hope that helps.  Some of them you can only get on if you go to the vet and get them to verify and enter everything.  I tried to get my dog put on the local one my vet uses but the system was down or the link was broken and they couldn't do it and I haven't tried again.

http://www.petaddress.com.au/Default.aspx

• Like 1

On 02/04/2017 at 4:31 PM, Scrappi&Monty said:
On 02/04/2017 at 4:31 PM, Scrappi&Monty said:

Did you bring him from WA to NSW? If so, he won't be on the NSW register unless you actually put him on there by filling out forms with your local council. 

On 04/04/2017 at 3:10 PM, Mrs Rusty Bucket said:

You can check what database he's on (if it's Australian) using this website.  hope that helps.  Some of them you can only get on if you go to the vet and get them to verify and enter everything.  I tried to get my dog put on the local one my vet uses but the system was down or the link was broken and they couldn't do it and I haven't tried again.

http://www.petaddress.com.au/Default.aspx

The NSW registry doesn't participate with Pet Address, so it won't show up on there no matter whether he's on it or not. 

Having brought a stray to a local pound and standing there while the staff member scanned the sum total of the area directly between the shoulder blades and announce no chip, I can see how a stuff up can happen... I asked for the scanner at that point and scanned the dog properly and found it's chip about 3-4 inches away from where the woman had failed to find anything. Lucky for that dog, as we managed to get it's owner's details and they came to get it about an hour later.

Another dog at the same pound had his chip in his flank area! Turned out to be a pet shop sale when it was a pup, and the pet shop (nor his owners) hadn't bothered to have any actual details entered into the registry... *sigh*... our rescue took him on and ended up finding him a lovely new home, but you do sometimes wonder whether the dog's old family had been looking for him and never found him because no-one bothered to double check his chip and details were correct.

It's a great system when it works though...

T.

• Like 2