Dog breed selector

french fries

Hello,

We are hoping to add a dog to our family but still sussing out different breeds. Have had a look at some of those dog breed recommendation sites where you go through various questions and gee some recommendations seem way off. Are there any that seem to be more accurate?

Cheers

ok thanks :). I welcome  suggestions.

I have kids under 6 years of age. Generally someone will be home most of the time so the dog will never left for long periods on their own. We have a medium sized yard but also have access  to some great parks close by. Dog can have as much access to inside as it wishes, no restrictions at all. A bit of grooming is fine, I have owned mini schnauzers and always did my own grooming. Im thinking a small to medium sized breed but wont exclude larger. Kid friendly is a must. It would be nice if they enjoyed curling up on the couch to at times. hmmm that is all I can think of at the moment. oh and we do have a cat.

Cheers

Enough energy to be able to keep up with the kids, fetch a ball etc, but not a breed that will require 1 hr + of exercise a day. Basic obedience and manners should be sufficient.

Some breeds i have thought about include; golden retriever, bichion frise, havanese, boston terrier, french bulldog, border terrier and cocker spaniel. I bit of a mixture, ha!

23 hours ago, Papillon Kisses said:

There was a thread about different selectors a while back. I found one was a lot more accurate than the others, but other posters thought otherwise! I agree with Bushriver that you'd probably be best to ask here. :)

Yes that accurate one for me turned out to be pretty accurate! :laugh: and fun, I like that it did a % match against a lot of breeds so I could read all the "runner ups".

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, french fries said:

Results are in :laugh:

1) border terrier

2) lagotto

3) cocker spaniel

4)bichion frise

5) poodle (mini)

6) beagle

There you go! I think any of them would be good although Lagottos can have overly timid temperaments so may not be good with young kids and I have also met a couple of bad tempered beagles although also many lovely ones. With whichever breed you go for ask around for breeder recommendations and find one who produce stable, resilient dogs that tend to be good with kids.

ETA a Golden Retriever or other larger breed could work as well but if you are planning on getting a puppy it can be very very tricky to effectively train a puppy not to jump up at peopke when there are little kids in the house as the kids just arent old enough to avoid accidentally reinforcing the puppy for jumping on them by squealing and pushing and running and the puppy doesn't understand that jumping and knocking the kids over isn't just a fun game. It often ends in lots of frustration for everyone and the dog spending lots of time separated from the family.

Edited by Simply Grand
  • Like 1

Definitely I would re think a Frenchie, they are active but not to be running with children for hours, they would not be able to tolerate that, especially when the weather is warm, they are an indoor dog, do not like the heat or the cold, if given the choice they would prefer the cooler weather, they are a single coated dog so do not have an undercoat to keep them warm.

24 minutes ago, Mjosa said:

Definitely I would re think a Frenchie, they are active but not to be running with children for hours, they would not be able to tolerate that, especially when the weather is warm, they are an indoor dog, do not like the heat or the cold, if given the choice they would prefer the cooler weather, they are a single coated dog so do not have an undercoat to keep them warm.

Thanks Mjosa for your input. I understand that french bulldogs require supreme care. Im not after a dog that needs to run around for hours, quite the opposite really when i think about it.  Just aslong as it is happy to interact with the kids.

They are great with older children, younger ones they would knock over, they are quite strong.

Air conditioning is a must, mine spend all the hot weather inside only going out when they really need too, they rush out do what they have to do and come rushing back inside and throwing themselves down under one of the air vents on the cool tiles :) then in winter same thing only rush back for the warmth, coat wise they are easy maintenance, but to keep them happy definitely an indoor dog for most of the time.

Should you decide on the Frenchie contact me and I can put you in touch with breeders that I know.

I have had them since 1982.

• Like 1

Yes, when we were looking for a new pup about a year ago I did some of those breed selectors, they aren't the most accurate, and are really just a bit of fun. 

Some of the breeds it suggested were my favourite already and I was genuinely considering those breeds. But in the end we went to buy our dog food at Petbarn and came back with Monty the amstaffy puppy... oops! :o :) (they had an RSPCA adoption day, and he was too sweet to resist). The breed selector thing said that American Staffy type dogs were unsuitable for our family but Monty is actually the perfect fit.

A few years ago my grandmother was looking for a non-shedding dog to be with her and Pop as a little friend (Pop had lung issues so dog hair & dust provoked them) but long story short, the type of dog they were after was completely different to what we were after, but the breed selector quizzes came back with the same results. 

• Like 1

I was going to suggest Havanese for you, as we have started researching suitable breeds for our next pet and that is what we have as our main pick at the moment. (Similar requirements to you). I haven't met one yet, but have started doing research on them. I do also plan on asking about them on here when we get closer to actually looking at getting a dog.

I did every breed selector quiz I could find and found some pretty mixed results, but that is where I did find the Havanese and Coton De Tulear, which seem to be the best suited dogs I have come across for us so far, but there is only one Coton De Tulear breeder in Australia as the breed was only introduced here a little over a year ago, so obviously that makes things a bit harder, and also more expensive!

I found the better quizzes were ones that allowed you to select multiple answers for each question, or say that you have no particular preference for that question, as some of them were very black and white, i.e. choose only short/medium/long hair, rather than letting you choose two, or that any would be okay.

• Like 2

Wondering if anyone has experience with bichion frise? Have done some reading and they seem to tick a few boxes. I do wonder about the grooming requirements and upkeep. As mentioned earlier, have experience grooming schnauzers but realise this is a different breed. Also, how much would a bichion pup cost? 

Sorry I can't help directly as I've only known some Bichons, not owned them.

Maybe you could contact the Bichon Club of VIC?

http://www.dogsvictoria.org.au/DogsPuppies/BuyingAPuppy/Breedersdirectory/Puppies.aspx?BreedID=26

Or contact some of the breeders listed here, some specifically say they welcome questions:

https://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/breeders/bichon-frise.asp

ETA also found this:

http://www.vbrbreedsclub.com/

https://www.facebook.com/VBRBVic/

Edited by Papillon Kisses