Lumps & bumps

Hi everyone, 

Scrappi has this little lump which is about the size of a pea and has been there a bit over a month. It's in the skin and it is the same colour as the skin. It isn't big or squishy. 

I feel like we should get it checked out because if it is something bad (ie malignant) it can be sorted out and hopefully be fixed before a problem arises. I'm thinking it's probably just a fatty cyst but I feel like it would be nice to know for sure.

But when I was talking about it with my father he said not to worry because it isn't effecting him in any way. 

I dropped by our local vets today on our walk and I asked the receptionist/nurse what she thought and when we should get it checked out. She said she wouldn't worry, unless it causes him pain or grows. 

So I thought I'd ask the wise people of DOL and see what the general consensus is. 

Edited by Scrappi&Monty

I think the nurse would tell you make an appointment if she thought it worrisome.

We're up at the vet quite a bit as Malcolm has Addison's Disease so I show them anything suspicious. He's had the odd sebaceous cyst—pimples!—on his face. The last one they measured and said to keep an eye on it and if I grew or started to look "angry" come back in. So far they've all gone away of their own accord. I'm also monitoring a couple of freckles in case they go bad.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Papillon Kisses said:

I think the nurse would tell you make an appointment if she thought it worrisome.

We're up at the vet quite a bit as Malcolm has Addison's Disease so I show them anything suspicious. He's had the odd sebaceous cyst—pimples!—on his face. The last one they measured and said to keep an eye on it and if I grew or started to look "angry" come back in. So far they've all gone away of their own accord. I'm also monitoring a couple of freckles in case they go bad.

Thanks PK :) 

I thought so too, just a bit of a hyperchondriac when it comes to the doggies haha. 

Poor Malcom, that wouldn't be very fun for either of you. :heart:

Edited by Scrappi&Monty

Em had what I was quite sure was a fatty cyst on the back of her neck. I had it aspirated during her annual check up - no apparent issues. A couple of months later it erupted. Was quite the show - I was fascinated and Mr TSD was totally grossed out :laugh: Hasn't recurred either. 

• Like 3

It's the one you don't get checked that will bite your arse! For peace of mind get it checked. 99% of the time they are benign fatty cysts and sebaceous cysts etc...... 

The vet can check it out, and record its size for future reference.

if you decide not to have it checked now, check it regularly. If it changes colour or shape, or grows rapidly, off to the vet immediately.

the other thing to consider is the location of it. I have seen so many pets with benign fatty lumps left until it grows so large that they end up stepping around it, chafing against it, or having not enough skin cover left when removing a giant lump that would have been super easy to remove when small. . So consider what would happen if the lump continued to grow, would it impact on the dogs mobility and comfort etc. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Scrappi&Monty said:

Thanks PK :) 

I thought so too, just a bit of a hyperchondriac when it comes to the doggies haha. 

Poor Malcom, that wouldn't be very fun for either of you. :heart:

No no you were absolutely right to pop into the vet and ask! I'm always asking questions haha. I don't care if they think I'm a worrywort, it's my job as my dog's advocate. Mal's Addison's was diagnosed early because I took him in for something that others may have dismissed or not noticed. Usually it's dx'd during a life-threatening crisis.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mingaling said:

It's the one you don't get checked that will bite your arse! For peace of mind get it checked. 99% of the time they are benign fatty cysts and sebaceous cysts etc...... 

The vet can check it out, and record its size for future reference.

if you decide not to have it checked now, check it regularly. If it changes colour or shape, or grows rapidly, off to the vet immediately.

the other thing to consider is the location of it. I have seen so many pets with benign fatty lumps left until it grows so large that they end up stepping around it, chafing against it, or having not enough skin cover left when removing a giant lump that would have been super easy to remove when small. . So consider what would happen if the lump continued to grow, would it impact on the dogs mobility and comfort etc. 

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Better to be safe than sorry and to be honest I would rather find out early rather than let it cause issues.

It is about the size of a very very small pea and on his chest/rib bit behind his left elbow. Hasn't grown and wouldn't cause mobility issues and I definitely wouldn't let it get big. 

what breed is he? My staffy had a number of mast cell tumours removed. Most were small. The one that killed him was pea sized. It became grape sized and was removed. However it was an aggressive type and developed into a subcutaneous mast cell which can't be removed. Initially just looked like a bite then a small rash. Took two months before he had to be put down - it started bleeding and cancers don't heal :(

I asked about breed as some breeds are apparently more prone to tumours than others.

my advice - don't panic but when you next visit the vet get them to check it out. Most tumours are easily removed IME however the smaller they are the less margin that needs to be taken.

my guy had a fair size one on his belly. Got sent away and vet had to reoperate to remove more margin - that's the area around the edge of the tumour that's removed to hopefully get all cancerous cells. The pea sized one on his ear was tricky as there wasn't any more margin that could have been taken. Luckily that came back with the vet had removed enough.

• Like 1

I would get it checked, it will only be a short consult and a simple cytology and your answer will be there. Why stress over it and it won't be very expensive. 

Working in the industry we see all sorts of lumps.. even some you think from the outside don't look worry some can sometimes turn out to be melanomas or mast cell tumors. We never make light of someone who is worried about lumps and make sure to test everything! 

• Like 5

On 4/8/2017 at 10:10 AM, karly101 said:

I would get it checked, it will only be a short consult and a simple cytology and your answer will be there. Why stress over it and it won't be very expensive. 

Working in the industry we see all sorts of lumps.. even some you think from the outside don't look worry some can sometimes turn out to be melanomas or mast cell tumors. We never make light of someone who is worried about lumps and make sure to test everything! 

I agree, I always suggest cytology when we come across a new lump or bump. It's a simple test to do, often results can be given to you in the same consult (if assessed in house) or within a day or two if sent away to the lab. I would be disappointed if one of my nurses told an owner not to worry about something like this. 

• Like 3

On 07/04/2017 at 9:11 AM, karen15 said:

what breed is he? My staffy had a number of mast cell tumours removed. Most were small. The one that killed him was pea sized. It became grape sized and was removed. However it was an aggressive type and developed into a subcutaneous mast cell which can't be removed. Initially just looked like a bite then a small rash. Took two months before he had to be put down - it started bleeding and cancers don't heal :(

I asked about breed as some breeds are apparently more prone to tumours than others.

my advice - don't panic but when you next visit the vet get them to check it out. Most tumours are easily removed IME however the smaller they are the less margin that needs to be taken.

my guy had a fair size one on his belly. Got sent away and vet had to reoperate to remove more margin - that's the area around the edge of the tumour that's removed to hopefully get all cancerous cells. The pea sized one on his ear was tricky as there wasn't any more margin that could have been taken. Luckily that came back with the vet had removed enough.

He's an 8yo rescue corgi x terrier.

Will definitely ask to get it checked next time we go to the vet. Or maybe during the week I might take him for a check up so I don't know if he needs everything else done.  He only had the annual checkup in Dec/Jan and she said he was all good. (She said his teeth were probably better than her own haha) 

• Like 1

Just randomly stumbled upon a chart of dog Lymph Nodes... there is one smack bang where the lump is. :(

I've heard that if there is problems with Lymph nodes and they can have lymphoma which is pretty bad right?? Anyone know much about this? I think we will try to get him into the vets!

Yes but lymphoma is way way less common than a simple inflammation. :) It's not abnormal to have a firm lymph node for any number of reasons, please don't worry. A trip to the vet will sort everything out. x

Edited by Powerlegs
/
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Powerlegs said:

Yes but lymphoma is way way less common than a simple inflammation. :) It's not abnormal to have a firm lymph node for any number of reasons, please don't worry. A trip to the vet will sort everything out. x

Thank you :heart:

Thats good to know. 

Classical lymphoma usually present with most of, if not all of the peripheral lymph nodes being grossly enlarged. A single enlarged lymph node usually means that it is reactive and doing its normal job in response to some kind of inflammation. A consultation, thorough examination and cytology (if indicated) will go a long way to sorting it out. (That's also not exactly where you will find the axillary nodes, so it more likely that it's just a lumpy bump)

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

Hello all, 

thought I should update you. 

Vet checked him recently and turns out it’s just a smooth wart! Apparently harmless and only removable by surgery, but it’s tiny and doesn’t worry him. Thank goodness! :) 

He’ll just get more as he ages & become a warty old man. Haha.

Also he does have arthritis and (as suspected) the annual yeasty paws. :( 

• Like 2

On 1/22/2018 at 7:02 AM, Scrappi&Monty said:

Hello all, 

thought I should update you. 

Vet checked him recently and turns out it’s just a smooth wart! Apparently harmless and only removable by surgery, but it’s tiny and doesn’t worry him. Thank goodness! :) 

He’ll just get more as he ages & become a warty old man. Haha.

Also he does have arthritis and (as suspected) the annual yeasty paws. :( 

whew!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

My dog had what looked like a cyst- the vet sad it was probably an embedded grass seed and he needed an anesthetic to remove it. I said I wasn't happy with that and would like to try drawing it out instead. He was given a course of antibiotics and an appointment to have his anesthetic in a week. I decided to try BLACK SALVE - usually a no-no with doctors and vets. I appllied it as  would to myself and left it for 24hrs and low and behold - it drew out the seed and left a nice clean hole which I put betadine on.

• Like 2