Kidney failure

Gretel

Ingrid is 15 and was diagnosed with chronic kidney failure nearly two years ago. She's been on hills kd diet and done well. She wasn't too well over the weekend and today I've realised she smells terrible. After googling I realise it's probably uremia and I think we're near the end now. When she was first diagnosed I didn't think she'd last this long so I should be grateful but I'm still heartbroken.

On 07/04/2017 at 6:55 AM, Zena's mum said:

Know where you're coming from. I'm currently dealing with a sick little girl who has never shown pain. Some are just too tough for their own good. 

Best wishes to you

Thanks. I hope you're doing okay too. 

Shes had a good day today. Shes on pain meds and her spirits are pretty good.

• Like 1

Tough times for you Gretel   And you're so right .. 15  years is a blessing , but never long enough.  My BC girl Kirra has been showing blood test results of kidney failure for 18 months ..progressing slowly.   But now we're dealing with lymphoma.  So far, thanks to cortisone, she's doing OK .. but getting weaker.  She's lost a kilo in a week and a half, partly because of cutting out carbs.  She's still eating well, taking her meds, and happy to do little bits of 'training' to join in with the boy.  I'm blessed in that I can be with her or have her with me all day.  But it's going to be tough.   H ugs to you and your little Ingrid.  :heart:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tassie said:

Tough times for you Gretel   And you're so right .. 15  years is a blessing , but never long enough.  My BC girl Kirra has been showing blood test results of kidney failure for 18 months ..progressing slowly.   But now we're dealing with lymphoma.  So far, thanks to cortisone, she's doing OK .. but getting weaker.  She's lost a kilo in a week and a half, partly because of cutting out carbs.  She's still eating well, taking her meds, and happy to do little bits of 'training' to join in with the boy.  I'm blessed in that I can be with her or have her with me all day.  But it's going to be tough.   H ugs to you and your little Ingrid.  :heart:

Thanks Tassie. It's so hard watching them fade. I feel for you.

Hey Tassie. Glad to hear Kirra is still doing ok. Hopefully you will get a lot more time with her. Hurts too much when they leave.

I hope your little Ingrid continues to have good days too Gretel

• Like 1

On 12/04/2017 at 8:31 PM, Zena's mum said:

Hey Tassie. Glad to hear Kirra is still doing ok. Hopefully you will get a lot more time with her. Hurts too much when they leave.

I hope your little Ingrid continues to have good days too Gretel

Thanks. She's had a couple of good days but then yesterday wasn't a good one. I got so upset.

Totally understand Gretel. It's not nice. We said goodbye to my baby girl on Monday but whenever she had bad days I would always get upset too. I hated what was happening to her. 

Now I'm just constantly upset and it hurts real bad. Miss my little girl.

1 hour ago, Zena's mum said:

Totally understand Gretel. It's not nice. We said goodbye to my baby girl on Monday but whenever she had bad days I would always get upset too. I hated what was happening to her. 

Now I'm just constantly upset and it hurts real bad. Miss my little girl.

I'm so sorry :(

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Tara and Sam said:

How is Ingrid going ? ( and you )

Hi, thanks for asking. I thought her time had come but we've upped her pain meds and added cortisone and she's rallied. She's amazing. I know she can't be this good for long but I'm enjoying it. She even chased a toy the other day!

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

My Lulu is having kidney troubles as well, she's been on the k/d for about 6 months or so I guess. She can eat other stuff but seems to prefer the k/d the most, other stuff she will go off after a couple days. She's still in good spirits although has lost weight, not skinny but just enough cover. I'm in a facebook group for people with dogs with kidney problems and they recommend giving subcutaneous fluids to keep them hydrated and help the kidneys so I'm going to ask the vet about it next time I take her. 

I should have updated this thread. We had to put Ingrid to sleep a few months ago. She went downhill fast and wasn't interested in food. It was time. Never an easy decision to make though and there have been many tears. She was such a tough little girl. RIP darling girl.

• Sad 2