Kidney failure

Gretel

3 minutes ago, Gretel said:

I should have updated this thread. We had to put Ingrid to sleep a few months ago. She went downhill fast and wasn't interested in food. It was time. Never an easy decision to make though and there have been many tears. She was such a tough little girl. RIP darling girl.

:( All my love Gretel. xxxx

10 minutes ago, Zena's mum said:

So sorry to hear of your loss. It certainly is a tough decision but we know when the time is right. Take care. My thoughts are with you.

Thank you, she was a little dog with a very big personality! And she's left a big hole in our family.

29 minutes ago, Mjosa said:

Gretel I am so sorry to hear that your precious girl has gone to the :rainbowbridge: she is free now to play with our precious ones already there.

:kissbetter: To you as I know what a difficult time it is for you.

Thank you :) It's so lovely when people understand.

My hubby has said many years ago he might have thought, "it's just a dog". But he loves them as much as me now and understands they are so much more!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gretel said:

Thank you :) It's so lovely when people understand.

My hubby has said many years ago he might have thought, "it's just a dog". But he loves them as much as me now and understands they are so much more!

Funny how men change. My hubby is the same. He said losing  Zena was so much harder than he ever imagined. He was absolutely gutted when we said goodbye to her and between us so many tears have been shed. 6 months on and we still can have a good cry.

Ingrid sounds like a sweet little girl who was obviously loved a lot.

• Like 2

You wouldn't remember, Gretel, but I signed up to DOL shortly after our Papillon passed away and you were so very kind and had a piece of the puzzle that helped me locate his breeder. Sadly she too had passed away a month prior, but I will always remember your kindness to me when I was hurting. Malcolm and I send our love back to you at this time when you are hurting. :heart:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Papillon Kisses said:

You wouldn't remember, Gretel, but I signed up to DOL shortly after our Papillon passed away and you were so very kind and had a piece of the puzzle that helped me locate his breeder. Sadly she too had passed away a month prior, but I will always remember your kindness to me when I was hurting. Malcolm and I send our love back to you at this time when you are hurting. :heart:

Thank you :) I'm glad I was of some help to you.

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

Hey Gretel, 

I just started this process. I hope to get 2 years. I think about the inevitable days that you had to go through.. Heres to many good days. Hope you are doing ok since your loss. 

What is the one thing you suggest to prolong my buddy's time.

Edited by canine_rock
realised it was an old post.

7 minutes ago, canine_rock said:

Hey Gretel, 

I just started this process. I hope to get 2 years. I think about the inevitable days that you had to go through.. Heres to many good days. Hope you are doing ok since your loss. 

What is the one thing you suggest to prolong my buddy's time.

Thanks CR. I’m lucky that I still have her daughter with me :) 

Not sure I can suggest anything to prolong life except that I was very strict with her diet until very very close to the end when she got some treats she’d been missing out on. And be sure to always have lots of water available day and night cause they really do need to drink a lot. I also gave Ingrid cranberry as it’s supposed to be good for kidneys.

I hope your friend is with you a good long while yet!

On 4/9/2018 at 1:37 PM, Gretel said:

Thanks CR. I’m lucky that I still have her daughter with me :) 

Not sure I can suggest anything to prolong life except that I was very strict with her diet until very very close to the end when she got some treats she’d been missing out on. And be sure to always have lots of water available day and night cause they really do need to drink a lot. I also gave Ingrid cranberry as it’s supposed to be good for kidneys.

I hope your friend is with you a good long while yet!

Thanks Gretel. I appreciate your response. Wilson is on a strict renal specific kibble food from Royal Canine. He too is very much missing treats. It is so hard not to give them to him. However, I have always justified these types of tough decisions with the knowledge that I have to do things to protect him even if he doesn't like it. But it is so hard to dissapoint him every meal when I am the one that taught him it was ok, by giving him bites of my food. I will know better with my future dogs not to do this. What we sometimes think is making them happy is sometimes a bad decision.

• Like 1