How much is that doggy?

battycatlady

Hi,

Is there anywhere that anyone knows of where I can find out the average cost for a particular breed?

I'm interested in buying a puppy as a companion to my 18 month old Labrador and for 2 disabled members of my family.  Our needs are quite specific so I've been looking at several breeds but I hesitate to enquire about a puppy because I don't know how much I would be expected to pay.  I'm not in a hurry to buy a puppy and I'm happy to answer any questions from a breeder.  To me it's about making sure that we blend as a family with our new dog.  I believe we need to meet our new dog's needs just as much as our new dog needs to be able to meet our needs.  I'm happy to take on a disabled dog because obviously  disability is already part of our lives.  I want a dog as a family member so definitely not for show or breeding.  I really do believe a dog is for life so we will keep and love our dog no matter what happens.

The breeds I'm interested in are:

Labrador

Golden Retriever

German Shepherd

St Bernard

Great Dane

I have owned some of these breeds before but prices change over a dog's lifetime.  For example, it's been 13 years since we bought our Great Dane and it took us 4 years after she died to find her replacement (our current Labrador).

I'm just after an average price.  I'm not in any hurry to buy a dog because it has to be right for all of us (including the puppy) and I'm willing to wait until the right puppy comes along.  One breed I was looking at (but have now discounted) had considerable variations in price (from $2000 to over $6000).  Most breeders don't advertise their price and I feel really inhibited about asking each breeder for a price just to work out an average. Really I just want a ball park figure. 

Please can anyone help?

Thanks

Best wishes for a successful search.  You might find exactly the right fit for your family and vice versa at your local pound or rescue group.  I don’t know about St Bernards, but all the others have breed specific rescue groups and you will find these by a simple google search.  

Good luck.   :) 

1 hour ago, battycatlady said:

Hi,

I want a dog as a family member so definitely not for show or breeding.  I really do believe a dog is for life so we will keep and love our dog no matter what 

Please can anyone help?

Thanks

If I can just mention this. As a breeder if you wrote the above re family member not for showing etc that would get my back up. Most breeders dogs are family members. Can't help with prices but don't send that

Edited by Rebanne

20 hours ago, Rebanne said:

If I can just mention this. As a breeder if you wrote the above re family member not for showing etc that would get my back up. Most breeders dogs are family members. Can't help with prices but don't send that

Hi,

I'm sorry.  I worded that sentence badly.  I didn't mean to imply that breeders don't treat their dogs as family members.  Certainly, from the few breeders I have contacted, they do. Hence, as I stated,  my willingness to answer any questions a breeder has about our family as an potential owner of one of their pups.  I was simply trying to explain that at 61 I'm not interested in breeding or showing a dog - I don't have the skill set.  I was trying to indicate that I'm not  wanting to purchase the next Australian Champion and that limited registration was OK for me.

Thanks for your response.  I will be more careful about how I word that sentence next time.  I appreciate your help.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, juice said:

I wish breeders would put prices or a range on their listings, it really does help and then people don't feel worried about asking and it could be out of their range.

I don't have a problem at all with polite inquiries asking about price, there's no need to be worried about asking. 

It's the 'how much do you want?' one line emails and calls that get breeders backs up - and they come in thick and fast when you advertise. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, JulesP said:

Asking the price is ok. Haggling over the price is not so popular! :)

Thanks JulesP.  Haggling is way outside my comfort zone.  I've never haggled for anything in my life.  In seriousness, I believe a breeder sets a price based on many things.  Some things I probably don't even know about  because I'm not a breeder.  But I do believe they care about their dogs and puppies and therefore set the price accordingly.  If you set the price too low, you run the risk of people loving the idea of a puppy but unable to fund its proper care.  No amount of love will make up for an inadequate diet or vet treatments.  I'm sure it's not always easy to weed out this type of buyer but I'm sure that price is one way to do it.  I have trouble using the word pet - to me anything with a heartbeat is a family member (including the blue-tongue lizzard who sometimes lives under my verandah).  And that makes it a life long commitment.  I promise each animal that comes into my house that I will give it the best care I can for the rest of its life and I work very hard at honouring that commitment.  Haggling over price is not an option for me.  I choose to believe that the breeder has set the price with the best interests of the pup (or dog) in mind and therefore the price is not negotiable.

• Like 1