Brit group develops non invasive tests for brachy airway disease

RuralPug

They are also collecting data to pinpoint genetic markers so that breeders will in future be able to use DNA testing to select out animals with severe BOAS.

This is a fascinating video and well worth a few minutes to watch.

• Like 2

I passed a couple walking their flat faced dog the other day and the poor thing was being hurried along while it gasped and wheezed

trying to breath.

I am appalled that these types of dogs are even bred let alone anyone supporting such cruelty by buying one;but i guess some people think the poor things are cute and if they also have a pedigree somehow that makes it ok.

While Vets can making huge amounts of money from trying to repair the damage done to these poor creatures some vets will support them being bred.

Breeding dogs should be about breeding healthy dogs  not cuteness or the dollar.

• Like 1

I was skeptical that any would breath easily but the video RuralPug post was illuminating, the researchers were clear that their testing has found examples in the breeds that are just fine. So I don't go along with the call to stop breeding those breeds completely, it is about ethical well informed  breeding and ethical well informed buying. Trouble is so many unethical breeders have been drawn to these breeds by their extreme popularity. Popularity destroys quality in many breeds, the traditional serious breeders get swamped by those jumping on a profitable band wagon. And the public are largely to blame because of their addiction to fashion in all things, including dogs. Any traditional serious  breeders that push back get labelled 'elitist'.

Edited by Diva
  • Like 4