Making "the" decision

Scottsmum

8 hours ago, Kirislin said:

I have just read this thread. It caught my eye because I am about to go through something similar and am trying to work myself up to making that final decision.  Every word you wrote hit home with me, I understand what you went and are still going through.  How lucky he was to have found you in the twilight of his life.

....  you will approach it as you have each aspect of your pack's days ... being sensible, and only ever giving what they need most . 

Thinking of you ...   :kissbetter:

• Like 2

Tough decision. And it never feels any better even when you are told it's the right thing to do but we love our fur babies and never want to see them suffer. Thinking of you.:flower:

You folk are so helpful.   I've done this before .. although for 2 of the 3 dogs I've lost, I didn't have to  .. not sure which is worse.

So my dear old Kirra girl (15 years 2 months, retired agility and tracking BC) is fading bit by bit.   But fortunately, she does not seem to have pain, although she has had a few little collapse/seizure episodes .. only partial seizure, not the full thing, and she recovers within a couple of minutes, although is quite confused  and wobbly for a while after, so she just sleeps it off.   They seem to happen in the mornings, and by the afternoon, she can be 'demanding' to join in training with my boy .. though it's a bit hard to bounce up and down when your legs are getting a bit wobbly.

Also fortunately, the cortisone is keeping her appetite up, and hasn't made her incontinent, although there have been a few times we haven't made it out the house in time... though she does try.   We travelled up to the north end of the island for an agility trial weekend .. she's always loved the car, and is comfortable in her crate, and used to being in her crate in ouir set up at the trial.   In spite of a collapse episode on the Sunday morning, she had a lovely weekend, toddling round with me in between my runs, and mugging friends for treats and/or pats.  Very pleased with herself.

I am blessed in that I am retired, so I can be with her all the time.   We just seem to be progressing peacefully ... I just hope that we keep going like that, until she no longer seems to be coping.   A week ago, our lovely vet gave us 3 more weeks worth of cortisone - which would take us to 2 months post lymphoma diagnosis.  (Average survival according to Dr Google for untreated lymphoma is 1-2 months. )  Not sure we'll need the full 3 weeks .. but we'll see.

Just want to say again, how good it is to have this community have our back.

ETA - Kirra is the old girl sleeping on the bed on the floor    Rory and Bonnie often join her in a post breakfast nap.

sleepy May Day morning small copy.jpg

Edited by Tassie
  • Like 3

So happy to hear Kirra is continuing along peacefully. Fingers crossed you get to use extra cortisone. 

Our thoughts are with you. It's tough on the other side. :grouphug:

Scottsmum .. hope you don't mind me continuing to piggyback on your thread .. but it's still appropriate.   Just wanted to let people know that my dear old Kirra girl let me know yesterday morning that it was time .. she wasn't in pain, but just very tired, and taking longer to recover from the collapse/mini seizures which were associated with the lymphoma.  Her interest in food had diminished over the past day or two .. although BBQ chook was still relished, and yesterday morning, she just wanted to rest.   The stars aligned, when I rang my vet clinic, and 'our' vet (the owner) was on and had an appointment available at 12.  (He had done Kirra's puppy wellness check when she first arrived 15 years ago.)  So I took Rory's crate out of the back of the Rav,and put a crate mat there to put the old girl on .. with a blanket on her, and propped so she wouldn't roll around.   Rory was sitting in the front with me.  The stars further aligned, as the girl from the pet cremation people  was there for another errand, and came down to talk to me when the receptionist told her that I wanted Kirra cremated.   After commiserating with me, she said she would be coming back to collect Kirra.  My lovely vet came out to the carpark, and was able to very peacefully assist her on her way   He was so empathetic .. and after all he'd known her almost all her life.    He took his gear inside, and then came out to pick her up and carry her back inside.   So grateful to the lovely DOLers who shared their experiences, and to my lovely vet .. and most of all to my lovely old girl for telling me so gently and peacefully that it was time.

Vale Miss Kirra ... T.Ch Khayoz Sweet Soul Music RAE TSD ADM3 ADO6 JDM3 JDO6 GD SD SPDX DWDF.S HTM.S ET  27/2/2002 - 13/5/2017

• Like 2

Scottsmum .. hope you don't mind me continuing to piggyback on your thread .. but it's still appropriate.   Just wanted to let people know that my dear old Kirra girl let me know yesterday morning that it was time ..

Vale Miss Kirra ... T.Ch Khayoz Sweet Soul Music RAE TSD ADM3 ADO6 JDM3 JDO6 GD SD SPDX DWDF.S HTM.S ET  27/2/2002 - 13/5/2017

Oh Tassie :heart:

I'm so sorry,  It sounds as peaceful for everyone as it could have possibly been.  

And no - I honestly have no issues with anyone jumping in here. If you need it - please use it. I hope to not need it again for a very very very very long time. 

• Like 1

:( I am so sorry to hear about your sweet Kirra. At least it sounds like she went very peacefully. I guess our fur babies are very clever and give us a helping hand in knowing when to make the decision. My girl let me know.

My thoughts are with you. It's a hard and difficult time. I guess one day the pain will ease but for us it's taking time. All the best to you and your family. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, He's finally sorted. 

34020596633_03c582b289.jpg

His box is slightly darker and just slightly larger than Guins - but they look totally fine together and it means that Guineas box sits nicely on top of his - which is how they are just at the moment while I figure out where to put them. 

I'm really happy (well, as much as I can be) that this is done. I feel like it's a step. Not sure where :) but it's a thing - I can't say "step in the right direction" - because well grief doesn't work like that. 

We've donated and sold all the gear we're not keeping which is also ...  a step :laugh:. It's nice that it mostly went to dogs I know and the rest went to rescue.  I can now talk about him in public without crying ... but ... you know...  I still well up at home or when I see a photo especially when it's a super cute one (*they're all basically super cute ha ha) and I did pluck a hair off a freshly washed dress that I've worn weekly since he went.  LOL...  The mysteries of pet hair. :rofl:

Looking at puppies...  just dreaming really.  Hub has made me kind of promise / at least try to hold off until we buy - which we hope will be in the next 3-5 years but between me and DOL  - I don't see that happening.  A friend at work suggested fostering Guide Dog pups the other day and he didn't say no outright.  LOL.  But I dunno - you have to agree to take them everywhere including work and I can see that actually being a huge pain. Occasionally look through the adds on Trademe (Kiwi gumtree) and hurl verbal abuse at my computer at the prices and stupid names or things people say about their mutts / designer dogs. My two personal faves lately have been "almost a pug" (Mum is pure and Dad has a little bit of chi in him) and something with a really terrible name I dare not repeat here - which was a cross of 4 things.  $1000 and of course, the puppies "don't shed hair and are non allergenic". For $1000 they'd want to tap dance and also be able to do my tax return. 

Anyhow... dog, puppy, rescue or otherwise, is NOT on the agenda at this stage. We're just taking a (massive) breather. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
Guest crazydoglady99

Dear SM, 

Haven't read the whole thread. 

Am so sorry for your loss (have seen some of your other posts and couldn't work out what I'd missed).

He was the luckiest boy to have such a great 3.5yrs with you, and now he runs free. 

Something new is always just around the corner, so make the most of your uninterrupted sleep!

Big hugs x

17 hours ago, animallover99 said:

Dear SM, 

Haven't read the whole thread. 

Am so sorry for your loss (have seen some of your other posts and couldn't work out what I'd missed).

He was the luckiest boy to have such a great 3.5yrs with you, and now he runs free. 

Something new is always just around the corner, so make the most of your uninterrupted sleep!

Big hugs x

Oh @animallover99 you're so right on many counts.

Missing him a lot this week (hub is away & its just me on my own) but it was the right thing. :heart:

Edited by Scottsmum
Fat fingers

5 hours ago, Scottsmum said:

Missing him a lot this week (hub is away & its just me on my own) but it was the tight thing. :heart:

Sometimes the enormity of the loss just hits unawares @Scottsmum.  My darling Tirra died over 8 years ago - he was a little black and white Chi x Pap.  Tamar has a little black and white coat and when she is wearing it she’ll pass by me and, for a nano second, I think Tirra is still here.  Still cuts deeply.  

• Like 3