Looking for a Maltese cross or any lap dog.

Hi Phyl, 

Have you tried any local pounds or shelters? While most usually have bigger dogs you do see the littlies come through fairly regularly. Dealing with a pound or shelter directly should prevent the issue you're having of not hearing back - you can physically go to the premises to meet the pets and if you like a dog you'll usually be able to adopt them same day :)

Good luck, you seem like a wonderful home!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Phyl. said:

melzawelza Oh yes onto pounds but  nothing :(:(:(:( 

It sounds as though you are really looking at all possibilities, but can I suggest (not implying that you aren’t, but just reinforcing) that you actually visit pounds.  Some pounds are wonderfully well run and have their listings right up to the minute, but some are incredibly lax and poorly run ..... and everything in between.   How many people ring up pounds when their dogs are lost only to be told, “Nope nothing like that here,” only to find when they do visit that their dog is there.  And worse, the dog has been euthanised.   

• Like 1

We have been to the Morwell one, but have to admit just e-mailed applications, and phoned the others.

How dreadful to have a dog euthanized when looking for it.

I honestly cannot believe it is so very difficult to adopt a dog without papers, and just wanting a small female I can cuddle and wants to be with us.

and sleep with us. My husband and I love animals and just 3 months ago adopted two dear cats from a Geelong Rescue which is a long way from us, but they graciously brought them to us. I wanted 'one' to cuddle, but we agreed to take the two only to find they will NOT sit on our knees or come into the bedroom lol.

We could not let them go back even though they really seem to just want us for food but that's o.k. we love em.

I have to have a little dog loves me for me though :) We are retired so always home to spend time with our animals.

One of these furrys we have, started jumping on the side table and taking my teabag out of my cup :) so now I make two cups of tea for us, and one cup with a drop of tea in it and a used teabag and she takes it out 7 times a day lol.

• Like 3

maybe it's worth contacting these Tibbie breeders https://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/mature/tibetan-spaniel.asp

or this sweetie https://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/mature/dachshund-miniature-long-haired.asp

and two really neat little dogs here https://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/mature/pekingese.asp

Pekingese are neat dogs; they are much smarter than you :laugh:

Edited by Boronia

I adopted my last dog from the pound. I was looking for a bit and that meant checking websites at least once if not twice a day. When she arrived at the pound I went straight down and I believe met the previous owner on her way out. You have to be quick to get the sort of dog you're looking for. These cute little munchkins do become available but they are usually snapped up very quickly. Have you let your local vets know because sometimes dogs are handed in for euthanasia because their owner has died or is going into a home. Have you let your local rescues know too because they are often contacted if someone needs to rehome urgently.

Edited by sarsplodicus
  • Like 1

Thank you Boronia, and Sarsplodicus. Beautiful dogs.

I think being in Vic. seems to be a hindrance.

I have sent so many e-mails, so patiently (I fib. not patiently) am waiting and checking every 15 minutes :)

9 hours ago, Phyl. said:

Juice, I have advertised willing to pay $1,200 for a 2-4 year old Female any breed affectionate small dog.

I have just checked Gumtree once again but nothing.

We are willing to travel 250 k's as I also stated, and pay petrol/expenses to get her. 

Oh dear with that description people may assume that you are a puppy farmer. Would you be able to add "desexed is fine": to your advertisement?

• Like 2

yep, the puppy farmers love picking up small breed dogs on scumtree, a good breeder would run a mile from that ad and the only people who would reply would be someone who has bred a female or tried and its not worked and wants to offload it and get some cash too.

It does seem you are in the wrong state for little fluffy dogs, they are in abundance here , can you look at rescues who might be only just inside NSW and are driveable?

• Like 2

Oh 'Heavens to Mergatroid', I will have to 'up' my ads. :(

Thank you for your support folks.

I have written to many breeders and always say desexed, female up to 5.

Thinking they may have a darling finished breeding. 

sob sob they do not care I AM DESPERATE.

I would love a Rescue but no replies other than one saying we were not close enough for them to make sure all is well.

Edited by Phyl.

Hi Persephone, I have sent in to Petrescue and asked for 'Dolly' and if not her, gave them my same story on wanting a little female dog.

The only reason we are wary of boys is we had our old male cat pass, and he would pee on anything if we were not VERY careful with him (a bit of a nightmare actually) but we loved him and accepted him for 10 years.

This Oriental was supposedly desexed when we got him (not a kitten) but apparently when we had him checked because of him completely acting like a male with his sister, they found one testicle was still further in, so only one had been removed.

Both my husband and I have looked and looked and looked (my husband knows just how much  I want a cuddly little dog) and he will love her to bits also.

Thanks again folks.

1 hour ago, Phyl. said:

I would love a Rescue but no replies other than one saying we were not close enough for them to make sure all is well.

Please don’t be desperate.  :kissbetter:  You will find your little love. 

If you are applying on line can you add that you are more than happy for/would expect a local rescue group to come and do a house check?

Have you had a dog in the past?  If you have had, perhaps the vet could write a reference?

ETA:  I haven’t found any difference between males and females when it comes to weeing in the house before they are used to the place and are taught to go outside.  .  

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling
  • Like 2