Looking for a Maltese cross or any lap dog.

1 hour ago, persephone said:

Phyl.   Just BREATHE :) desperation can make for bad choices . 

Agreed. And Phyl, it may also make people wary, as it may come across that you have not properly considered whether a particular dog or breed is right for you and that's not good for the dog.

You are making an important decision about a family member that will hopefully be with you for 10 years or so. Be patient. Not all dogs are the same, so even if you find one it may not be appropriate for you. Remember the dog's needs should come first not yours. :)

Also the problem you had with your male cat was a behaviour issue specific to that particular cat. It does not transfer to dogs in general or boy dogs specifically. The only times my boy dog has urinated in the house has been when he's had a urinary tract infection. He has never marked in the house.

Edited by Papillon Kisses
  • Like 5

Theres some lovely older fluffers on Pet Rescue in Victoria, gorgeous faces.  Sparrrow

Also some lovely bonded couples, like Lucy Zoolander :love:  LINK

Just be aware that most of the rescue/animal aid places do require a home check, a meet and greet, and it can take weeks.... and rightly so as they are rehoming a dog they have rescued and put time and effort into, and need to make sure they have the best home possible, for both the new owner and the dogs sake.  :)

Patience is the key here, what about volunteering at your local animal shelter to get some cuddles in the meantime?

Edited by Cazablanca
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, juice said:

Bear in mind a dog in rescue will be in a foster home so should already be housetrained so sex wouldn't really matter . 

I agree with what both juice & DDD have said.  How well a dog deals with housetraining depends on the individual dog & the background its had for learning...not just sex alone.  Same goes for being affectionate with their people.

It's one of the big advantages of adopting from a position of good foster care (or from a breeder who provides 'home' experience).  Those carers can then advise you on how to help the new dog, male or female,  apply their housetraining learning to the new home.

Another area where foster care would be useful to you...is how the dog gets on with cats (you have two).  Even some small dogs can be very anti-puss to the point where they shouldn't be rehomed with a cat.  Others are fine with cats.

• Like 3

Patience Phyl! There is a little dog out there that the universe has earmarked for you. One more avenue for you is to contact TARS in Melbourne. Although they are an accredited rescue, they actually do a lot more linking than rescue. Linking being linking up people who need to rehome their pets with people who want a new pet.  Just find the contact details for Michaela on their website and telephone her with the details of the type you seek.

It wouldn't surprise me if you suddenly get a heap of more information please replies from all that emailing you have been doing! The universe has a way of doing that sort of stuff!

• Like 3

Rescue dogs have often been through A lot and rescues don't just hand them out to the first person who says I want it . 

Backtrack and start again , perhaps the replies you are sending are not coming over very well ? 

Remember they want a good home for the dog , I turned people down when I fostered , if the home wasn't better than mine they didn't go .

you need to either take your time and wait or buy a pup from a registered breeder and pay more if you can't wait . 

If you go that route decide what breed you want and do some research before approaching a breeder so you know about the breed a bit more and if it would suit .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RuralPug said:

One more avenue for you is to contact TARS in Melbourne. Although they are an accredited rescue, they actually do a lot more linking than rescue. Linking being linking up people who need to rehome their pets with people who want a new pet.  Just find the contact details for Michaela on their website and telephone her with the details of the type you seek.

Thanks for that tip, RP.  I'd never heard of TARS.  Their linking up service sounds excellent.  I like how people can sign up for an emailed newsletter showing pets presently available, because there's still numbers of people not on Facebook.  Shall let the Tibbie rescue folk know about TARS.

• Like 2

Thank you all for your trouble and good advice.

Perhaps after Anzac Day I might receive interest in my applications.

Every time any of you put a dog female and now male dog/puppy in, I try for it.

You are right about me wanting any or most breeds, but we love animals, so know it dosen't matter to us as long as the dog is happy and loves us, as we will her/him (I do put animals first) :)

We have had a Samoyed, and a Setter and not to long ago two Maremmas when we had a big Emu Farm in Gippsland.

Will just wait patiently - maybe not patiently, but at least quieter.

You have all been very kind and I do appreciate the interest. Vic. is sure not only the State of four Seasons in one day but a place very difficult to find a dog :)

I had a reply (just the one  so far) from a lovely lady breeder with an 8 week King Charles Spaniel for sale, but it is $2,200 and although absolutely georgeous we do not really need a purebred puppy. We would still have to have her spayed and shots. Someone who really wants her should have her as the lady said she has taken of the ad. as  so many applications.

Good morning. To excited to go to bed lol

We are SO lucky we have been chosen by a lovely girl to buy her dog (she was inundated with callers)

We are getting her tomorrow. Jet black Moodle 12 weeks old. Absolutely gorgeous.

Thank you all so very much for your patience, kindness goodwill and help.

Over the moon Phyl.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Phyl. said:

Good morning. To excited to go to bed lol

We are SO lucky we have been chosen by a lovely girl to buy her dog (she was inundated with callers)

We are getting her tomorrow. Jet black Moodle 12 weeks old. Absolutely gorgeous.

Thank you all so very much for your patience, kindness goodwill and help.

Over the moon Phyl.

better edit your post and rename that dog a poodle x or a Maltese x Phil, there is no such dog called a moodle...you will get hammered here for that faux pas

• Like 5

I have been following this thread hoping upon hope that you would find your little girl soon, so happy for you that at last you have a little girl to cuddle.

But, I second what Boronia has said, there is no such thing as a moodle or any other oodle, they are xbreeds, when I was young and that is way way back in history, they were called mutts and given away, how times have changed.

• Like 5

I have also been following this thread and I am over the moon that you are finally getting a new family member. Good luck to you and here's to many good times and memories made. 

Can't wait to hear what you name her. Happy cuddles to you.

Congratulations! :happydance2: Baby puppies are very hard work but so worth it in the end!

Just a heads up - poodle crosses are often very lively and smart dogs so you might want to think about doing some sort of obedience or dog sport in time to keep her happy so that you don't end up with a bored neurotic dog.

Now you need to get busy and email any one who has not yet replied to you LOL to let them know you are withdrawing your application! Some of them might be busy arranging home checks in your area etc. before they reply.

Edited by RuralPug
fat finger typos sigh
  • Like 4