Looking for a Maltese cross or any lap dog.

4 hours ago, RuralPug said:

Phyl has said that the seller was inundated with calls so it was her ad that Phyl replied to not vice versa. :) So quite unlikely to be a puppy farmer as pup is 12 weeks already. Most likely being a situation where a buyer has realised that puppy is not best suited to them or a change in circumstances so they can no longer keep puppy. :( 

I know that we all would have expected such a seller to have returned the dog to the breeder first - but poodle cross breeders are quite unlikely to take the puppy back (if they can even be traced LOL)  Just my opinion.

As I said, I was cautioning, given that the examples the rescue folk came upon were not baby puppies, but older puppies as this one is.  And which turned out to be 'surplus' stock being moved by a puppy farmer via an agent with a story.

Speaking only for myself, I'd ask for some documentation of the breeding-ownership trail & where a puppy or dog came from...for security reasons when it's been advertised for sale, as in this case.    Phyl said she's sighted papers.  So long as she's reassured by those papers, whatever they are ... it's then entirely her own business.

By the way...& ironically...the tibbie boy that RP spotted at the Victorian pound, Coby, has been officially adopted by a tibbie-owning family, who are driving down from New South Wales to collect him.

Edited by mita
  • Like 2

Congratulations on your new family member, Phyl! Please post pics soon! :D Does your little girl have a name?

I haven't had the impression that anyone in this thread is looking down on mixed breed dogs, just that the terminology used might be frowned upon if it clashes with the forum rules and guidelines, and that the 'cute' names tie into a trend that has led to countless dogs being bred solely for monetary gain. Certainly, no one here thinks less of the dogs themselves, unless I am sorely mistaken. I for one am happy that a lucky little dog is going to a loving new home.

• Like 5

I don't have a problem if People are stupid enough to pay thousands  for a mongrel , their choice . It's the carnage that comes with it  I object to and the industry it feeds . 

And coming with " papers " is another line they spin , a vet check that merely says it has a head and four legs .  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sarsplodicus said:

When I picked up my dog from the pound she was described as a pug x toy poodle and there was one of those names on her pen. Can't remember what it was. I didn't care. I knew I was getting at best a cross breed dog, or possibly a mixed breed. (My understanding is that a cross breed dog is from two purebred dogs of different breeds and a mixed breed has more than two breeds). Regrettably I can't afford to buy a purebred dog.

Good on you, sars, for giving the little dog who'd found herself in a pound, a good loving home...whatever she was.

You said you can't afford a purebred dog.  We've had to insist that the tibetan spaniel breeders we've adopted tibbies from, take any money or any big amount.  .  They knew & had sussed out our background as pet owners, right down to our socks-tops...& declared their biggest wish was that their little retired show tibbies go to the best of forever homes.  It was the quality of home they cared about.   But, like it or not....we insisted on paying them a darn good amount of money for these beautifully bred little creatures.  The fact that they'd gained their Aus Championship, didn't even come into the conversation.  They were loved for themselves as little characters. 

Nicest thing is how those breeders continue to watch over them, from a distance...they were bred with love & rehomed with love.  Doting godmothers!

At the same time, we had a little mixed-breed dog (looked like cross between a poodle & a spaniel) who was a rescue thrown from a car as a puppy.  She was also loved for herself as a real little character, on equal footing as a pet with our purebred girls.   She lived until she was 22 yrs of age.  So I can relate to how you love your girl.

Grizabella made a good point that having concerns with a 'designer' industry, does not wipe out love, care & concern for the little dogs themselves. 

Edited by mita
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, mita said:

As I said, I was cautioning, given that the examples the rescue folk came upon were not baby puppies, but older puppies as this one is.  And which turned out to be 'surplus' stock being moved by a puppy farmer via an agent with a story.

Speaking only for myself, I'd ask for some documentation of the breeding-ownership trail & where a puppy or dog came from...for security reasons when it's been advertised for sale, as in this case.    Phyl said she's sighted papers.  So long as she's reassured by those papers ... it's then entirely her own business.

By the way...& ironically...the tibbie boy that RP spotted at the Victorian pound, Coby, has been officially adopted by a tibbie-owning family, who are driving down from New South Wales to collect him.

No worries it is always good on a public forum like this to give cautions like that.:cheer: I was really just interested in pointing out that it wasn't in response to Phyl's ad.
And yay for little Cody to go to a tibbie-wise home!!! :walkdog:  I'm not sure that I understand why it seems ironic to you though  @mita ?  Can you enlighten me please - I am a bit thick headed today!

• Like 1

Photos!!!!

I just rehomed one. Listed him as a maltese x poodle but everybody knows the name now anyway. :laugh:  They are Moodles. 

Absolutely lovely boy. My most cautious description was of the shedding aspect because of the urban myth that they are all hypo allergenic. Just wrote "My hair is divine, and doesn't shed properly. That means some work for my new owners but I enjoy being fussed upon and groomed. " :o  Best I could do. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RuralPug said:

And yay for little Cody to go to a tibbie-wise home!!! :walkdog:  I'm not sure that I understand why it seems ironic to you though  @mita ?  Can you enlighten me please - I am a bit thick headed today!

It was the 'state' thing.  At this point in time, the small-type dogs that Phyl was looking for,  kept turning up in other states, like NSW & Qld, rather than Victoria.  And with 'no interstate adoptions' label.

Coby's case went in reverse, a NSW family spotted him in Victoria...& fortunately were able to drive down to adopt him.

• Like 2

Don Burke has a lot to answer for, he was the one that encouraged cross breeding them and he was the one that started these oodle names.

I know that as a fact, when he had his program Burke's backyard and they road tested different pedigree dogs, I was approached to road test the French Bulldog, I was glad to oblige, I had to get 24 Frenchies, very difficult in those days, not like today.

After the filming of the segment he came over to me and suggested that I cross breed the Frenchie, I guess he would have made up a"breed" name for them too,

from that day on I never watched the program and whenever I hear him on radio as a guest my blood boils.

So Phyl enjoy your little girl but please please realise she is just a mutt/mongrel.

A question? why could you not have gone to where this person lived? raises a question to me, anyone who has nothing to hide would invite you to their place to see the pup, could not fly?????? I send puppies interstate and overseas all the time from nine weeks of age and never a problem, I hope that this is not from Gumtree.

Lot of money paid for a cross breed, could have got a purebred for about that much money $1650.

• Like 3

Just to clarify, I have no problem or bias against mixed breeds dogs, mutts, mongrels etc, I have owned them my whole life with the exceptions of a Rottie and a Bull Terrier.    My current dog is a Staffy x from ARF rescue here on Dol.

The only problem I have is with the puppy farms and backyard breeders who breed designer dogs, who  are at best shonky, and at worst, well, we've all seen the results of those places, they are in it for the money, they don't care about their dogs, they don't health test and they are happy to provide pet shops and any body with the cash a puppy. 

I have nothing against the dogs themselves whatsover, I'd much rather rescue a mixed breed than pay thousands for one with a made up name though.

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, Powerlegs said:

Photos!!!!

I just rehomed one. Listed him as a maltese x poodle but everybody knows the name now anyway. :laugh:  They are Moodles. 

Absolutely lovely boy. My most cautious description was of the shedding aspect because of the urban myth that they are all hypo allergenic. Just wrote "My hair is divine, and doesn't shed properly. That means some work for my new owners but I enjoy being fussed upon and groomed. " :o  Best I could do. 

With all due respect Powerlegs how do you know that the dog you rehomed was a maltese x poodle? Also poodles come in three sizes so even if it was a poodle cross how would anyone know what size it would be just from that description?

Because the op came on saying they wanted to rescue a dog and wouldn't pay more than $1200 so a quality purebred was not likely , then proceeded to pay almost $500 more than that because they were just impatient and wanted a dog now , and the only people who supply " now" are puppy farmers . 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, sarsplodicus said:

With all due respect Powerlegs how do you know that the dog you rehomed was a maltese x poodle? Also poodles come in three sizes so even if it was a poodle cross how would anyone know what size it would be just from that description?

What do you mean? :o It wasn't a guess. 
he was a private surrender so I have all his paperwork with his cross and where he was purchased incl the "supplier's" details ( known oodle breeders). And he looked like what he was sold as. Miniature not toy. And who knows if he was pure x pure. He has a lovely home now who wasn't fussed on breed, just looking for an SWF. 

Anyway, off topic. :) 

Phyl, best wishes for the future with your new baby. x

Edited by Powerlegs
adding extra

14 minutes ago, Powerlegs said:

What do you mean? :o It wasn't a guess. 
he was a private surrender so I have all his paperwork with his cross and where he was purchased incl the "supplier's" details ( known oodle breeders).

Okay. Apologies. I thought it was a guess.

• Like 1

Thank you to the kind people wishing Peter and I and our gorgeous, beautiful natured little girl, well.

I am deliriously happy and love her so much.

We have found a treasure.

• Like 8

22 hours ago, mingaling said:

Yes I'm off to find a dog forum that appreciates dogs, all dogs.... 

Such might exist, but I doubt it.  Forums are dieing out, we are lucky that dol keeps a good core of members, and that is probably mainly down to the solid base of its reason for existence - pure-bred dogs and their breeders and owners.

The horse forums are all but gone, which has been a major loss of the sharing of information and experience.

And the replacement or alternative - the glorious misinformation world of the f word.

My dogs are cross-breds, and as Persephone said there is always an appreciative welcome here for owners and lovers of every kind of dog (and other animal).  I for sure don't think it is too big an ask to simply not insult breeders here by bastardising the names of pure-breds.   

• Like 4

I did not realise PossumCorner  I for sure don't think it is too big an ask to simply not insult breeders here by bastardising the names of pure-breds. 

and just found a site I thought may help me, and people have, been nice and tried to help, so if anyone had come up with any breed I would have been so happy.

I will butt out now, and hope I did not upset people but it was just naivety on my part.

• Like 1

Yes I think that's just it, we aren't born 'knowing these things' and all it takes is a bit of conversation to explain points of view without having a go at anyone.

More important, your pup sounds gorgeous, have you named her or waiting for the right name to come along?  You will have noticed the Photos threads - if you can put a shot of her there more of us will see it.

• Like 1