Puppy without papers?¿

Anna1557

Hi guys!

I am looking at this chihuahua pup which the breeder states that is a purebred but is coming without papers. I'm not sure as to how the whole paper business works as our last dog was a rescue (golden retriever, lovely boy) and would like to get them if it was possible to? Does any one know how I would be able to obtain them?

Thanks!!

sorry if I put this in the wrong area, I'm new! :)

Unfortunately you can't. The breeder has to register the litter and transfer the pup to you (or in some states they can register directly in your name). They can't register the litter if both parents aren't on the main register, so the puppies in that scenario can't have papers. They can't register the litter  if they aren't registered breeders themselves either.

Even if the pups are registered, if the breeder won't transfer the registration and hasn't entered into a contract that says they will,  the buyer can't do anything to get papers. If they had said you could have the papers and then didn't supply them you might have legal recourse, but they haven't done that. Of course the puppies may not even be purebred, you can only take the breeders' word for it in that situation. Or the parents may have limited registration, meaning purebred but not meant to be bred from, so again puppies can't be registered. Or they may be from generations of unregistered dogs bred by unregistered breeders, plenty of those about. 

Edited by Diva
  • Like 5

i see lots of breeds advertised as purebreds and they are not, Some are in colours the breed doesn't even come in, but people don't know. If there are no papers you have no idea if it will actually be a Chi or there is something else in the mix.

I suppose it depends on price and wether you can see both parents and decide wether its worth the risk, plenty out there with papers.

• Like 3

If the pups are registered and the breeder sells the puppies they must be transferred to the new ownership within 14 days.

By the sounds of things it could be any of the situations that Diva mentioned.

Personally if you want a pure bred Chi I would have a look on here with the registered breeders  just go to home page of DOL and click on "Puppies for sale".

You have no guarantee that this particular puppy is purebred.

• Like 5

As mentioned above, if the pups aren't from a registered breeder (sounds like they aren't) they could be from a bit of a dodgy situation, and might have some other breeds in the mix. 

Might be a good idea to look on here (Dogzonline, 'puppies for sale')

if you want a purebred, pedigree, registered pup. Or you could check out something like Petrescue if you don't mind a chi cross. Personally I would be a little skeptical of that breeder, often times the breeders that aren't registered breeders are up to no good, or they are people just wanted to breed their pets/an 'oops litter.' If you're paying a lot of money for that pup maybe you should have a little look elsewhere just in case. :) 

• Like 1

It means they have 2 dogs & have breed them & aren't a registered breeder .

I would be wanting to see the parents to make sure they are proper looking Chis ,after that its a risk you take.

Ask lots of questions about what after sales support they will give you,ask about there diet sheet they supply you ,what age pups will be vacc & microchipped ,what age they are sending them home.

If you have research the breed truly you should have a good grasp of all the right questions to ask about the breed especially raising a baby & some important factors regarding the breed

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Diva said:

Unfortunately you can't. The breeder has to register the litter and transfer the pup to you (or in some states they can register directly in your name). They can't register the litter if both parents aren't on the main register, so the puppies in that scenario can't have papers. They can't register the litter  if they aren't registered breeders themselves either.

Even if the pups are registered, if the breeder won't transfer the registration and hasn't entered into a contract that says they will,  the buyer can't do anything to get papers. If they had said you could have the papers and then didn't supply them you might have legal recourse, but they haven't done that. Of course the puppies may not even be purebred, you can only take the breeders' word for it in that situation. Or the parents may have limited registration, meaning purebred but not meant to be bred from, so again puppies can't be registered. Or they may be from generations of unregistered dogs bred by unregistered breeders, plenty of those about. 

Thank you! I just wanted to see if we can go about away from the breeder but that's fine we are getting her really cheap and she has been answering all my questions so far and has been helping a lot! 

Thanks again! :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, juice said:

i see lots of breeds advertised as purebreds and they are not, Some are in colours the breed doesn't even come in, but people don't know. If there are no papers you have no idea if it will actually be a Chi or there is something else in the mix.

I suppose it depends on price and wether you can see both parents and decide wether its worth the risk, plenty out there with papers.

Hi!

ive seen a mixture of information regarding colours online? Dad is cream while mum is a godly cream colour! We are getting her cheap compared to some other prices I have seen online! 

Thanks for your quick reply:)

5 hours ago, showdog said:

It means they have 2 dogs & have breed them & aren't a registered breeder .

I would be wanting to see the parents to make sure they are proper looking Chis ,after that its a risk you take.

Ask lots of questions about what after sales support they will give you,ask about there diet sheet they supply you ,what age pups will be vacc & microchipped ,what age they are sending them home.

If you have research the breed truly you should have a good grasp of all the right questions to ask about the breed especially raising a baby & some important factors regarding the breed

She has said that she will be vacc and microshipping and has helped so far with all the questions! We will be picking her up at just over 8 weeks old! From research it seems tone an average age with some pips earlier! The only question I haven't really asked yet is the diet she is currently on, but I'll definitely find out now!

Thanks! 

Have you seen the parents in the flesh ? Do they have pedigree papers ? Cheap doesn't mean good . Have you checked what health issues the breed is prone to and parents are clear of them ? 

• Like 9

15 minutes ago, juice said:

Have you seen the parents in the flesh ? Do they have pedigree papers ? Cheap doesn't mean good . Have you checked what health issues the breed is prone to and parents are clear of them ? 

Yes a cheap puppy can end up costing a lot in vet bills.

• Like 7

Most ethical  breeders sell older than 8 weeks as they vaccinated older due to the size and also wait for the skull to have covered more ,many also make sure there eating well so the risk of hypos is lowered ,the parents should have there patellar certified and ideally parents should have teeth .

The issue is you have already committed so our answers are irrelevant No such thing as a cheap puppy and the price shouldn't be a factor when buying a breed that lives a long life ,vet bills if poorly bred will not make your cheap pup cheap .

• Like 7

1 hour ago, showdog said:

Most ethical  breeders sell older than 8 weeks as they vaccinated older due to the size and also wait for the skull to have covered more ,many also make sure there eating well so the risk of hypos is lowered ,the parents should have there patellar certified and ideally parents should have teeth .

The issue is you have already committed so our answers are irrelevant No such thing as a cheap puppy and the price shouldn't be a factor when buying a breed that lives a long life ,vet bills if poorly bred will not make your cheap pup cheap .

Thanks for the depth in your reply! Do you know what kind of questions I should ask about the parents and the pup regarding health conditions other than patellar certified?

thanks.

The breeder should have openly informed of all these things if there breeding for the right reasons .If they have no clue then they will be no use to you info wise.

A good breeder will inform you what the parents have been tested for and there status.

A good Chi breeder will also have informed about the breeds special needs as a puppy and making sure you are aware before committing to the breed.And by special needs Chris do have a need more important than other breeds 

If your doing all the asking then that's a worry 

• Like 4

And Anna please do some homework on the prices for papered and guaranteed purebred chi's so you can compare it with situations like this where it is likely you will get neither. Don't go paying a silly price for a dog that someone just says is purebred. That is how new owners get ripped off and why the backyard breeder industry continues to flourish.

I hope you find the pup for you!

• Like 7