Advice needed

Bushriver

I recently purchased a pup from the other side of the country from a registered breeder with the bloodlines I was looking for as a show and breeding prospect. When she arrived I noticed her eyes looked a bit strange (droopy bottom eyelidand I took a photo and let the breeder know the next day. We agreed to let her settle in and see if it may have been a side effect from the plane ride or something that may start to clear on its own. It hasn't improved at all after a week. Where do I stand in terms of not quite getting what I paid for? She's still a lovely dog and I don't think it will affect her health wise, but it does affect her appearance and I don think I would be happy to breed from her if she were to pass on this fault. It is likely she will grow out of it, but still she will never be a show or breeding dog to me. If the breeder was to take her back, who would be responsible for the airfare?

Edited by Bushriver

I have just heard back from the breeder and they offered to put her on limited register and I pay the limited register price for her and I could on sell her if I wish. This doesn't seem fair to me as I wouldn't feel right selling a pup if I thought there was a problem. Also as I was wanting a main registered pup for as a showing and breeding prospect, I don't want to keep her just as a pet. 

I am wondering if the third eyelids are unpigmented?

A photo would help.

I would be asking for your money back and send her back to the breeder as she is not what you were expecting, not suitable for showing or breeding with, maybe the breeder would pay for her return or the two of you share the cost, if the puppy were mine as a breeder I would prefer to pay the transport costs to just get the puppy back and rehome her myself to someone local so as I could meet them and be sure that it was the best home for a pet.

This is the very reason I do not sell out of SA when I have the occasional litter here, I need to meet the people personally.

• Like 1

Are the sire and/or dam wet and/or have loose lower lids? The breeder should know if the pup is likely to dry up as she matures or remain wet throughout her life. And given you know the dogs and have researched, I would expect you would likely know the answers to some of these points too?

If it seems unlikely her lids will tighten as she grows into her skin (that her skin will also keep growing) then I'd be sending her back. Nicely explain you are disappointed. Expect a refund and if you don't get it, be prepared to fight for it or back down.

Good luck, not a nice situation to be in. Difficult when you have a sweet puppy with you that you don't feel you can become attached to :(

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 08/06/2017 at 2:43 PM, persephone said:

:( Ectropion(rolling out)  and Entropion ( rolling IN )  plague labs . 
Definitely not breeding material .

I never knew that labs were prone to entropion/ectropion. 

I've seen a few shar peis having to get surgery for entropion :( 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Scrappi&Monty said:

I never knew that labs were prone to entropion/ectropion. 

I've seen a few shar peis having to get surgery for entropion :( 

yes :( 

ECTROPION  is not only hereditary , it is uncomfortable   as with all that sensitive membrane in the open air .. inflammation /foreign bodies etc  can be  a common occurrence . 

• Like 1

Yes. I did send her back. Her breeder was very good about it, although she didn't think there was a problem, it's not something I was comfortable with. Especially as she was to be a show and breeding prospect, but even so, having her on the farm with all the dust and grass etc. would have been uncomfortable for her. Very happy with my new pup. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Bushriver said:

Yes. I did send her back. Her breeder was very good about it, although she didn't think there was a problem, it's not something I was comfortable with. Especially as she was to be a show and breeding prospect, but even so, having her on the farm with all the dust and grass etc. would have been uncomfortable for her. Very happy with my new pup. 

Good decision . I agree with the country lifestyle problems..eyelids like that are not suitable :)