Fake pedigree pappers?

lots of stupid people I think. You don't have to be involved with dogs to know what pedigree papers are. To confuse that with council / microchip registration..... Well that was my opening line! I've had a total of 5 dogs in my life, two as a kid, the current two and my staffy. Even before the advent of the internet, people knew what a registered purebred was. Much harder to find breeders, but you still knew what constituted a registered purebred.

Now with the internet, there is no excuse not to know. If you can use the internet to search for a puppy, you can use it for basic research around common dog terms.

Edited by karen15
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, karen15 said:

lots of stupid people I think. You don't have to be involved with dogs to know what pedigree papers are. To confuse that with council / microchip registration..... Well that was my opening line! I've had a total of 5 dogs in my life, two as a kid, the current two and my staffy. Even before the advent of the internet, people knew what a registered purebred was. Much harder to find breeders, but you still knew what constituted a registered purebred.

Now with the internet, there is no excuse not to know. If you can use the internet to search for a puppy, you can use it for basic research around common dog terms.

I disagree & think its unfair to call people stupid. There's almost too much info out there & with people being deceptive on purpose it's easy to see how it happens. 

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, Scottsmum said:

I disagree & think its unfair to call people stupid. There's almost too much info out there & with people being deceptive on purpose it's easy to see how it happens. 

I agree with Karen15 its exactly because people are liars, con artists and thieves that you must have rocks in your head if you don't do your research and inform yourself.

1 hour ago, Canisbellum said:

I agree with Karen15 its exactly because people are liars, con artists and thieves that you must have rocks in your head if you don't do your research and inform yourself.

I've seen & done some really stupid things in my time, and i dont entirely disagree. But I do think that sometimes its easier said than done. Especially when you're  excited about a new puppy & have explicitly been told something misleading  Would I hand over 1000s of dollars without hours of research?  No. But I think does cut both ways.   It can be hard to see the wood for the trees & you don't know what you don't know

But that's just my own personal opinion. 

• Like 3

On 4/20/2017 at 8:13 PM, Mrs Rusty Bucket said:

yes but you have to meet a bunch of criteria described in the link.

Like provide your ANKC controlling body membership number to a would be buyer so they can check.  

And microchip and vaccinate (but I think all the dog sellers have to do this now)...

And then you have to meet the ANKC code of ethics.   

I have noticed more ANKC registered breeders advertising but as best I can tell they say "ANKC registered" and are very specific about what you get regards paper and puppy.   I don't think that's what happened for OP.  

The gum tree ads where it just says "registered breeder" and doesn't provide any ANKC stuff like membership number or prefix...  those are the ones "Registered with council" not ANKC and may or may not be puppy farms.

Personally I think that people who think they are buying from a registered breeder - expect ANKC registered and papers and all that.   So it really helps if the ad is clear.   If the ad is unclear - I wonder what else they're avoiding telling us that we'd want to know.

I just advertised my new Maremma babies on Gumtree. I was asked if I was a breeder and if I was registered.Clicked yes to both. Ticking anything else such as vaccinated etc was optional .I was never asked for my member number, or chip number of puppies etc and the fact that I put my Dogs NSW member number in the ad was by choice because of DogsNSW rules not because I was compelled to do so to place the ad via gumtree. 

Agree Steve. Gumtree is relying on seller honesty, which isn't protecting the buyer at all, really, only Gumtree!

I am at a bit of a loss how to protect buyers from shonky breeders, let alone scammers - who we know steal breeders' details from online sites and use them in their scams. Breeder's membership numbers and other ID have even been stolen from DOL ads and used in scams on other sites. The very few buyers who know only to look at reputable sites where breeders are scanned and monitored (such as MDBA) are far outnumbered by those who don't know. :(

Flame suit on - I have no objection to people buying from puppy farms - provided they are aware of exactly what it is they are supporting in doing so and those puppy farms are subjected to regular thorough welfare checks. If people want to spend thousands of dollars on a cross breed with no health testing of parents that is their choice. I hate designer names, that is one big scam.

But people who pretend to provide quality puppies and don't but hide under what should be trustworthy registries, taint every member of that registry. This is really apparent with ANKC bodies, who for so very long have been slack in policing their members to protect their own name. :(

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, RuralPug said:

Agree Steve. Gumtree is relying on seller honesty, which isn't protecting the buyer at all, really, only Gumtree!

I am at a bit of a loss how to protect buyers from shonky breeders, let alone scammers - who we know steal breeders' details from online sites and use them in their scams. Breeder's membership numbers and other ID have even been stolen from DOL ads and used in scams on other sites. The very few buyers who know only to look at reputable sites where breeders are scanned and monitored (such as MDBA) are far outnumbered by those who don't know. :(

Flame suit on - I have no objection to people buying from puppy farms - provided they are aware of exactly what it is they are supporting in doing so and those puppy farms are subjected to regular thorough welfare checks. If people want to spend thousands of dollars on a cross breed with no health testing of parents that is their choice. I hate designer names, that is one big scam.

But people who pretend to provide quality puppies and don't but hide under what should be trustworthy registries, taint every member of that registry. This is really apparent with ANKC bodies, who for so very long have been slack in policing their members to protect their own name. :(

At least once a week I have to go after someone who is advertising as an MDBA member who is not and that's not just on gumtree - it can be anywhere and nothing anyone can do to stop it except what we are doing and belt them when we catch them and answer questions about whether someone really is a member when we are asked.  So as with everything else someone can buy from anywhere - its buyer beware and good ethical breeders shouldn't have to be over regulated and treated as potential criminals because others are doing the wrong thing. No matter what the laws say or requirements to advertise are on any site if the buyer is going to buy without doing some basic checks at the end of the day nothing will stop it. If anyone really thinks that being registered with a state CC is some kind of tick that they wont be stung or that the pup will come from a good home should take a good look at this.  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4454400/RSPCA-rescue-31-dogs-puppy-farm-New-South-Wales.html

• Like 2