Chicken frames

How much do you pay for your chicken frames? I have discovered that we are near a chicken abattoir and am hoping to be able to make a deal with them for regular bulk pick ups. Which is exciting for me as cold storage and distance was an obstacle for fresh produce for my dogs. 

In Melbourne cheap from factory shopfronts is around 2.50 a kg. ($25 a 10kg box).  Worth double-checking they are guaranteed hormone and antibiotic free etc.  (And free range? - not likely and not that it means much to the poor little meaties, as they can barely walk when old enough to slaughter (really nasty industry we are all stuck with for the time being)). 

We will soon have a massive meat poultry raise-and-process 'facility' built near us, middle of no-where as they like to be.  Local farms all put up a long fight against it, as every kind of pollution is involved, but after a few hearings etc opposition has now been steamrolled and it is apparently going ahead.

Just a note...in Australia there are NO meat chickens raised with hormones nor are there any raised in cages. It's just clever marketing. And most so called free-range chickens rarely venture outside the barn. There's some good research happening in this area at the moment. Yes ABs can be used. 

• Like 1

For sure Bushriver, and as Westiemum said in one of the tooth threads, chicken frames etc keep their teeth in great shape.

SD the latest Australian free range stocking-rate legal density is to be ashamed of - 10,000 per hectare.  On clever marketing, it's not so much clever, it's deceptive devious and intended to mislead/misinform.

No point caging meat birds, that would be un-necessary and expensive separation for no reason.  Easier and cheaper to shed-raise at max density.  Re the research you mentioned, I would love to know the outcomes and recommendations - is anything available yet or are results restricted/confidential?  Antibiotics have always been used, our reliance is on producers to honour the withholding periods.  This link indicates that's not always a given, who would have thought?  It was also being discussed in the context of superbugs on the ABC this morning.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-06-29/concern-over-banned-antibiotic-superbug-found-in-chicken/5556068

Not hijacking your thread Bushriver.  I don't buy commercial chicken for the dogs - a local farmer raises chooks to despatch legally on-farm for their dogs (breeders, so quite a few).  I don't feed chicken regularly, but when I do I buy whole chicken from them (of which legs'n'feet are dogs' most favourite bit, no accounting for dog taste). 

On 4/21/2017 at 10:45 PM, piper said:

I get a 10kg box for $6.00 or 2 boxes for $10.00. That is from a pet food place but they get them from Inghams on a daily basis - they are still in the Inghams boxes when we get them.

That's about what I paid in Perth, years back.  It's worth noting all frames aren't equal.  Some sources give you skin and a LOT of fat along with the frame, others give you just bone with a little meat clinging to it.  My cheaper source was very fatty.  I had mostly Labbies, and had to trim of a lot of fat lest the dogs develop a layer of blubber.

• Like 1

$5.50 a kilo for frames is pretty extreme! You can get whole chickens for less than that. I only buy frames occasionally but they work out about 50c each from the local chicken place, twice that from the supermarket. 

• Like 1

On 4/26/2017 at 2:59 PM, DeltaCharlie said:

Wow! no way would I pay that. Better off getting drumsticks from Coles/Woolies for $3.50 a kilo

Except that drumsticks have way too much fat for my liking - unless they are the guaranteed lean ones which cost up to $7 a kilo! 

But I shop in a regional city and still only pay $1.50 kilo for frames, good quality frames from a chicken specialty butcher.