Questions for breeders from prospective buyers

Airedaler

Hi All,

I'm updating our club webpage and it has been suggested we include a list of questions that prospective puppy purchasers should ask breeders they contact.

As a breeder would you please share with me what you would expect a buyer to ask of you and also questions that you may ask of them.

Many thanks 

Buyers should ask about health tests for both parents and be able to sight any test results. I actually don't like giving a person a list of questions, too easy for them to rehearse the answers. But health tests, what rego papers - main or limited and what dog owning experience they have are the basics. I ask them why the like my breed and to tell me about themselves and family and give them a price and also no one gets a pup until after I have chosen mine. All by email, then go onto phone contact if I like what I read.

Hi Rebanne, 

I agree with you what you say.  I'm under pressure from a splinter group to do this and I'm not sure it is the best route to take.

We do however, somehow need to educate prospective buyers how to distinguish between the responsible ethical and knowledgeable breeders and the pseudo breeders. 

• Like 1

I like people to ask questions relevant to their reading/knowledge about both dogs in general and about my breed for example "I read on the DOL web site that . . . . . .  ." or "one of my friends told me that . . . . . ."   because this gives me a chance to get a conversation going  and educate them not only in my ideas but also in a range of other people's thoughts on the same topic.

Does that make sense? 

Like Rebanne, no one gets to choose until I have decided what I want to keep and I prefer, least initially, that people come without small children or their extended family!!!!! 

• Like 3

There is a big difference between the questions prospective puppy people should be asking breeders and the questions the breeders ask the puppy people.

I can see how advising of the latter might create knowledge in inquirers that might assist them in securing a puppy when perhaps they might otherwise not qualify. But providing info on the former is definitely helpful.

I have done this on my website. In no way does this assist a person in obtaining a puppy, but it helps them negotiate their way through the labyrinth of information they should know when researching the purchase of a particular pedigree dog... required health testing, registration types, breeders and so on.

Feel welcome to have a look if you wish http://www.starkehrerottweilers.com/you-want-to-add-a-rottweiler-puppy-to-your-fa.asp

• Like 3

Actually the list should be easy ,your not rehearsing answers but making puppy buyers aware of important questions relating to the breed and understanding options .

Its a good move by the club to encourage anyone thinking of buying this breed savvy to important breed specific info 

health testing 

mains v limited what the difference is 

• Like 1

What about your club looking at this whole thing from a different perspective.  Get the club to run a couple of Meet and Greets each year.

Anyone interested in getting a pup of your breed can organise to come along to an open day. This is a chance for prospective buyers to meet the adults and see the activity level and trainability of the dogs. It is really important for families to make decision based on the Adults and not be swayed by the cute pups. They also learn about the testing available and what issues to consider when looking for a pup.

They can have a chance to meet different breeders on a semi social environment where everyone has the chance to show their true personality and not feel they need to "tick the right boxes" to be accepted for a pup - After all, it is important that the breeder and buyer create some sort of connection so that ongoing support can be offered if needed.

Myself and a breeder friend have run these Meet & Greets for the last few years as a way to promote our breed.

We try to organise families to visit once we have mated one of our girls - we even invite some of our previous aussie people to come and provide a mixed group of aussies for the prospective buyers to meet and chat - It is actually a lot of fun and we have met some great people. Some keep in touch hoping for a pup in future, some get puppies from other breeders (which we are more than happy about) and some even decide the breed is not suited or they are not ready. We see it as a big chance to educate the public about what an ethical breeder really means.

• Like 4

This is more about educating prospective puppy buyers about the difference between good dedicated breeders and ones that really are only breeding for the sake of breeding.

It seems we are dammed if we do and dammed if we don't. One group of members complaining we don't do enough to educate and another lot complaining that we do too much. 

Alpha-bet we simply would not get the support to have meet and greets from the breeders. It would come down to the same two members who do all the work doing more and neither of us are breeding any more.

Frankly I'm just about over it.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 30 April 2017 at 5:56 PM, Airedaler said:

This is more about educating prospective puppy buyers about the difference between good dedicated breeders and ones that really are only breeding for the sake of breeding.

It seems we are dammed if we do and dammed if we don't. One group of members complaining we don't do enough to educate and another lot complaining that we do too much. 

Alpha-bet we simply would not get the support to have meet and greets from the breeders. It would come down to the same two members who do all the work doing more and neither of us are breeding any more.

Frankly I'm just about over it.

I don't worry about what the other breeders in my breed do - the Aussie Club do very little if anything towards helping or educating the public - there are not huge numbers of them in this State and they are spread far and wide... most seem more interested in showing and hence perhaps little time for anything else.

So I just do my own thing...... Holding a M&G is just my way to help new people learn about the breed.... people who have been involved with me over the last 10 years with the breed enjoy getting involved... and it is a great way or us to get together.

So I don't worry that it might just be the same breeders making the effort... the main thing is you get to meet some wonderful families and these are the ones that will make great homes.