Likely puppy strangles

Hey there. It's been a long time since I have been on here. 

I have a puppy 9 week old happy healthy last of alitter to rehome.

the whole litter have been fine as was mum but no idea on dad. 

Puppy developed some eye gunk which looked like allergy or dust and now recently have found afull blown swollen face and blistering . Awaiting to see a vet re the issue and testing but he has seen photos via email and the consensus is potential Puppy Strangles. 

This must be reasonably advanced and was seeking advice and opinion on viability or the pup. Considering it could well be long term and scarring. Worth a shot or euth?

IMG_7595.JPG

Vet assessment /treatment essential ... we cannot say what the end result will be ..however , at this stage  pup deserves treatment ...the earlier it starts on A/B's the better :) I presume vet has advised on  cleanliness procedures /home first aid  in the meantime . 

Edited by persephone
  • Like 1

Too early to tell if euth required.

Scarring in itself will not be a problem re finding a pet home and the condition itself is not so debilitating as to cause extreme distress to the pup. The danger is possible secondary infection during treatment.

Hopefully the parents will never be bred from again - this condition is hereditary. I assume that this is from a rescue litter raised and the dam has already been desexed and pup will be desexed before rehoming, if so, that solves that!

• Like 3

Pups surrendered and they cam from far out west. Of 8 only one the smallest has been affected. It may or may not have been set off by eating blood n bone. 

All ive been able to do is bathe twice daily in betadine, and crate overnight, the pup still needs fresh air and to stretch.  Hope to see a vet today but he's been overseas. 

The costs may be great? 

The hereditary faction is not yet proven just suspected. 

Just abit flat today  ut it's been a good week

• Like 1

Unlikely to have been triggered by anything the pup has eaten. It is basically an immune system stuff up. To start with, treatment is not going to cost an arm and a leg, you should know within two weeks if he is going to respond well. 
If he is one of the quite rare cases where chemo is required, then you may need to rethink or seek extra funding for his treatment, but usually the only complications are caused by secondary opportunistic infection - being extra vigilant with hygiene should avoid that.

Take a deep breath - it is extremely unlikely to be the worst case, and you will know that within a couple of weeks of treatment starting.

• Like 2

Ok thanks, she's a bit stiff n sore today more glands involved and not so keen to eat, except cat poo grr. I'm off to work and hope the vet will see us this evening but after work and travelling 100 km they may not stay open

If it comes to Chemo I wouldn't put her through it! 

Update we have just gor back from the vet $150 lighter. No mites not nasty bugs in any of the samples placed under the microscope so the dx of puppy strangles is correct.

Anyway we have phyohex, a big needle of Abs and another of  orticosteroids. Tablets of the same to last Abs a week and Steroids about 3 I think.

Stella has a mucky nose and a few lumps and bumps no sign of fever or infection, but we have essentially just started to kill her immune system. 

• Like 1

That is great news of the vet not finding any opportunistic infections yay! :cheer: The challenge, as you know, is to keep it that way.

At the risk of upsetting the cats, put a puppy pen or something around the litter trays so cats have to jump in to use them and puppy cannot access them as it is too risky to let her eat cat stools.
If she is finding cat stools outdoors, you will need to either exercise her only in a run or on leash.

I'm sure that with your vigilant care, she will recover quickly!

And @persephone I beg to differ. She is a pretty girl now LOL, even at the awkward gangly stage!

• Like 2

Thanks it is a huge challenge. I feel so terrible keeping her primarily away from other animals and a lot of crate time. She is coping so well. Tomorrow is town day so I will get her toys to enrich her inside time. We are trying to learn sit lol.... certainly not a kelpie haha! 

Outside is guarded as it is wet and raining so too many puddles to tempt her. It is a challenge too.

i think a course of protexin will benefit her at some stage.

The new  I cern and I will ask the vet, is water. She is drinking and urinating a lot. It could be boredom I guess but I am not sure if the treatment may encourage this or if something else is going on. It is making toilet training a nightmare with big wees every 40 minutes. She is toiletting outside but coming back in to do 1's and 2's....

IMG_7676.JPG

Sending some get well wishes for your girl.

I had a Labrador that got puppy strangles. We were not sure he would pull through at one stage he got so listless but he did and lived for another 16 years and had very robust health from then on. He did have antibiotics for the puppy strangles but it was so long ago I cannot remember what they were. He also had distinctive black patches around his nose from the scaring but I still always thought he was gorgeous! :) 

• Like 2