Behavioural changes in 18 month old English Staffordshire Bull Terrier

Meg_1985

Hi all,

Could someone please give me some advice re behavioural changes. 

My 18 month old female has been exhibiting tractable behaviours including ignoring direction, running off while on walks on our farm and showing agressive stances to my husband in particular.

She is coming up to her next heat cycle at the end of May so I though it may be hormonal. She has never been like this even on her last heat cycles. And has always been very obedient and friendly. I have been doing extra training and have been understanding. I was just wondering if there is something else I could do for her.

I am in the process of becoming a registered breeder and have tried to outsource information on the subject but have found nothing helpful.

Many thanks in advance.

Your very first move should be a full health check with full bloods done, to see if there is a medical reason for the change in temperament.

If no medical reason is found, there may have been an incident of some sort (unknown to you)  that has triggered this change. The best way to reverse the change is to have a reputable (and there are a heap of shonky ones) behaviourist assess her and give you a behaviour adjustment plan. If you give your area, others here may be able to recommend a good behaviourist local to you.

Another possibility, which you might need to consider if the above does not help, is that at 18 months she has reached an age where she is pushing the boundaries, so to speak. If you cannot reverse this behaviour you may need to consider the possibility that there is a genetic component working here. Needless to say, you shouldn't consider breeding from her until all of this has been sorted and a good temperament restored, just in case there is a genetic component at work here. 

And, I don't mean to carp but PLEASE learn the correct breed name. Only in the USA is Staffordshire Bull Terrier prefixed with the word "English". By the same token, here in Australia their version is prefixed with the word "American" but you would be considered quite gauche if you used that term there! 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, RuralPug said:

Another possibility, which you might need to consider if the above does not help, is that at 18 months she has reached an age where she is pushing the boundaries, so to speak. If you cannot reverse this behaviour you may need to consider the possibility that there is a genetic component working here. Needless to say, you shouldn't consider breeding from her until all of this has been sorted and a good temperament restored, just in case there is a genetic component at work here. 

I second this. She is now just reaching maturity ..and you may be just now seeing the 'real' adult her . 

DEf a full vet check /blood tests  before anything else :)

• Like 2

Oh ..it's also useful if you can chat with her breeder :) She may have info on what that line are like generally - when they matured, that sort of thing. Are her line show dogs , or pets , or ? 

Answered my own question here .. I looked back on yr posts, @Meg_1985   

The breeder I got her from just bred blues and didnt seem interested in discussing genetic diversity.  

sorry there seems no sound advice from there. It  may make starting off with choosing excellent foundation stock a bit tricky! 

Edited by persephone
  • Like 2

18 months is testing boundaries/maturity reaching stage. I consider it completely normal for dogs to start blowing you off and being little turds at this time, and it's very common for dogs to mature in to being less tolerant of other dogs at that age, but showing aggression towards a person (and a family member) is a worry. 

Vet visit first, then behaviourist. 

Edited by melzawelza
  • Like 5

On ‎23‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 1:56 PM, RuralPug said:

And, I don't mean to carp but PLEASE learn the correct breed name. Only in the USA is Staffordshire Bull Terrier prefixed with the word "English". By the same token, here in Australia their version is prefixed with the word "American" but you would be considered quite gauche if you used that term there! 

Actually, not true.  The Staffordshire Bull Terrier is known as the Staffordshire Bull Terrier universally and the English Staffordshire Bull Terrier or English Staffordshire Terrier by those who simply don't know, are ignorant or don't care.......  Just as the American Staffordshire Terrier (no "Bull") is known as the American Staffordshire Terrier, or Amstaff.  In the USA, the Amstaff is sometimes referred to as the Staffordshire Terrier (again, no "Bull").

I think you're possibly getting confuzzled with the Cocker Spaniel which is known as the (English) Cocker Spaniel in most parts of the world, except for the USA, where the breed name Cocker Spaniel actually refers to the Cocker Spaniel (American) which is called the American Cocker Spaniel pretty much everywhere else.........

• Like 2

Get your husband to feed her at least one of her daily meals... most dogs tend to like the humans that feed them... *grin*

As for the other behaviours, I think some intensive obedience training with both you and your husband might be beneficial, so she learns that her boundaries are not negotiable.

T.

• Like 2

On 4/28/2017 at 8:47 AM, ellz said:

Actually, not true.  The Staffordshire Bull Terrier is known as the Staffordshire Bull Terrier universally and the English Staffordshire Bull Terrier or English Staffordshire Terrier by those who simply don't know, are ignorant or don't care.......  Just as the American Staffordshire Terrier (no "Bull") is known as the American Staffordshire Terrier, or Amstaff.  In the USA, the Amstaff is sometimes referred to as the Staffordshire Terrier (again, no "Bull").

I think you're possibly getting confuzzled with the Cocker Spaniel which is known as the (English) Cocker Spaniel in most parts of the world, except for the USA, where the breed name Cocker Spaniel actually refers to the Cocker Spaniel (American) which is called the American Cocker Spaniel pretty much everywhere else.........

Thanks for that,ellz! I'm always happy to be set straight.:) Never too old to learn, in my book!

One golden rule that ethical registered breeders have is never to breed from dogs that have aggression issues - whether it's people, other dogs or both.  Aggression can be inherited and it will mean that some of the puppies will have issues, you'll either get them returned or they will be handed to home after home or euthanased.    Once you understand what is happening with your dog, it may mean she  may or may not be suitable for your breeding plans.  

Edited by Her Majesty Dogmad
  • Like 8