Injured dog? Please tell me what to do.

Bella9

Hi, 

Yesterday my small dog (9yrs old) jumped out of my arms and landed on a rough floor. She seemed fine at the time just frightened. She was fine all day today but tonight she was shaking and hiding (similar to what she does in a storm). I just went to take her outside and noticed she wasn't using her back legs properly and was limping. However when I called her she walked normally towards me. She has been making a few soft moaning noises when moving but these are also not consistent. She freaks out when arriving at the vet as she doesn't like other dogs, and she doesn't let the vet touch her. So to get x-rays or anything she will need GA. I would prefer not to put her through all of that if I can help it. 

Please can someone tell me what I need to do? 

Could be a  few things. Maybe you can find a vet who does house calls. 

Otherwise, or in the mean time, I'd be keeping her quiet & warm.  

There could be other things going on too. It might be worth chatting to your vet & sedating her for a really good senior check up - full physical & doing a full senior blood panel. 

Good luck with it all. 

• Like 5

What a worry :( Obviously a vet will be able to answer .. and being sedated /having a GA may be the best way to go ? then she can have a thorough check up /get her nails done/whatever needs doing , as well as finding out how severe here injury is . 

• Like 3

She may be bruised or worse internally.  No matter how well she is moving, please still take her to the vet for a thorough check.  Maybe the vet could prescribe some Valium.  It transformed my storm phobic little girl from a quivering wreck to totally relaxed within about 20 minutes of dose.  

• 3 months later...

Also consider - after the vet - taking her to a chiro.  My  little man was in a lot of pain - crying out when trying to get up & warning me off when l went to help him up. My vet - whom l love - prescribed pain relief only after x rays etc but he was still in pain.  In desperation l took him to Robert Humphries who gently manipulated his neck and hip - voila, Immediate improvement! I burst into tears the affect was so immediate. 2 days of rest much improved able to get up with no help.