Fish Oil - how to determine dosage

kamuzz

My vet suggested my oldie should be having fish oil added to his diet, and the only fish oil she trusts is the PAWS brand.

The kind PAWS advice line people helped me calculate the correct dosage for a 30 kg dog:

The calculation for the Fish Oil 500 dosage for your dog is as follows –

30kg (his weight)^0.75 (for metabolic body weight) = 12.8….

12.8… x 310 (recommended dose rate for osteoarthritis) = 3973mg of EPA+DHA

3973/250 (each pump of Fish Oil 500 contains 250mg EPA+DHA) = 15 pumps per day

When I was telling one of my breeders about this, she laughed at me and suggested getting fish oil capsules when the expensive stuff is finished.

Now I have my fish oil capsules (with both EPA and DHA). Do I give one capsule once a day or twice a day? Or perhaps it doesn't matter?

I've been using the PAW brand fish oil for my old girl, recommended by my vet too. I give her 12 pumps per day, she's probably not quite 30kg. Found the cheapest place to by is budget pet products (free shipping over $50)

Can't help with the dosage of the tablets sorry but thought I'd mention the PAW product seems to be highly recommended 

My vet suggested I give some fish oil capsules to Henry, she said one capsule daily. Henry weighs 8.5kg.

I also give him a smidgen of vitamin E powder (old Dogz topic below is informative)

Edited by Boronia

I have come to the conclusion it is an absolute waste of money supplementing fish oil, whether it is for our dogs or for humans. Fish oil oxidises very quickly even in capsules. The method of production is also questionable, and at the very least unsustainable, as many brands use the by catch of super (factory) trawlers. I used to feed raw salmon heads and spines but having visited salmon farms in Tasmania and the conditions under which the fish are farmed, I'm looking for new sources of omega 3s and currently researching phytoplankton.