Brisbane trainer advice

Hi there!

So sorry to hear about your Staffy.

First up I'd recommend a vet check as there may be some health problems responsible for the change in behaviour.

If all is good, you'll find some good trainers listed here who work behaviour cases. You can also check out Delta and PPGA.

It may be that you need to see a veterinary behaviourist so keep that in mind. The best trainers and vets will know when to refer you on.

Finally, although it may seem like a quick fix it is very important not to punish your dog for showing aggression. Punishment has been shown to worsen aggression and fear/anxiety (which is usually what's behind the aggression) in the long run.

Let us know how you get on?

• Like 2

I live in Logan and can recommend Jane Harper with Dogs On Track. She is based on the Sunshine Coast but travels. We had made a decision to put to sleep one of our dogs for unpredictable serious attacks on our other dog and at the eleventh hour I decided to give it one more chance with a different professional. She had been kept crated since the last emergency vet visit for them both. Jane was brilliant and she gave us strategies that were very manageable. We have two different dogs today - some is due to age and some is due to the changes we have all made. We have also lost another dog from our pack (cancer, not aggression) and Jane was on hand to give us advice on additional changes that needed to be made to rebalance the two in question - a good behaviouralist does not just come in once and then leave again. We have not even come close to their being another incident and it is about 16 months on now since the last major fight. We are all much happier but we did make a serious commitment to implementing the recommendations and sticking to them. That is the key. You understand your dogs better and remain vigilant to triggers and divert them immediately before they escalate. So if it is not a medical issue causing the behavioural problems then you need to be in this for the remainder of your dog's life. Also I don't think the fee a behaviouralist like Jane charges is excessive for the outcomes that are possible. If your dog is injured or injures another animal it costs a lot more in vet fees! So off to the vet first for a full check up then check out Jane (or someone like her) and see what can be offered to manage the behaviours and get things back on track for your bubba. Using this approach has saved both our dogs lives.

• Like 3