Can I retrain a retired stud dog not to mark?

jemappelle

Just thought I would update even though it is early days.  I picked him up Sunday afternoon and by Monday night he was squatting on the grass.  He has only marked 3 things that I can see, in the yard.  He is crated inside as that is what he is used to when being inside, but we get in and out the door without any problems.

Fingers crossed it continues! :)

• Like 4

I am having trouble getting him to wee on the grass.  It seems the barbecue and house are good objects.  And he seems to be able to hang on forever.  Today it is a bit wet, which didn't help.  If I ever see him do it on the grass when we are outside he gets lots of praise but I don't see it very often.

The Cav is peeing every time I walk them onto the grass and I say 'hurry up' but he just stands and looks at me.  I'm surprised he doesn't want to pee over hers.  There is no sniffing, he just goes up to an object and pees on it and it's a long stream so not just marking.

I'm happy for him to pee on the clothesline upright and the plastic chair on the grass but he doesn't like walking on the grass much!  

Get a stake or a box or something, and put a few drops of  his ,plus hers pee on ?

I'm happy for him to pee on the clothesline upright and the plastic chair on the grass but he doesn't like walking on the grass much!  

Maybe you can try popping him on a leash at first and leading him to the desired target e.g. clotheslines and then praising him excitedly when he pees there. Dead silence and staring at the sky if he pees where you don't want him to. It won't be long before he twigs...

• Like 2