Great Dane x Mastiff

We just rescued a Great Dane x Mastiff, He is 11 months and only 33kgs. We are currently feeding him black hawk puppy large dog chicken following instructions on bag 1 3/4 cup 2x a day and 4x chicken wing tips. Should we be doing anything extra?

14 hours ago, Ethangreatdane said:

We just rescued a Great Dane x Mastiff, He is 11 months and only 33kgs. We are currently feeding him black hawk puppy large dog chicken following instructions on bag 1 3/4 cup 2x a day and 4x chicken wing tips. Should we be doing anything extra?

I can't believe that is any way enough food for him. I feed a 31 kilo greyhound a minimum of 600 grams minced chicken carcasses and 2 cups of dry per day. This is really in the wrong forum, I'll ask for it to be moved to the health/nutrition forum where more people will see it.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Ethangreatdane said:

That is what the rehoming centre told us to feed him. Hence why we thought it was wrong and posted the enquiry here.

Is he skinny? If he is a true cross of the breeds named I would imagine he is quite underweight. If he is well covered then maybe he is not that cross and the food you are feeding him is fine. But wing tips are nothing for most breeds of dogs, agree with persephone whole carcasses would be much better. I don't like Black Hawk as a food, my dogs don't do well on it but others do. I'd be adding whole eggs, sardines, meaty bones etc to your dog's diet. Lamb flaps are excellent for putting weight on if he needs to do so.

• Like 1

I would love to provide photos but this site won't let me upload any of the photos? Does anyone have any ways of getting around this? And he not as tall as he should be about 10cm to short from what I have read online. We want to get him to a suitable weight but in a timely fashion he is a really good eater. We just don't want to over feed him and cause health issues.

poor boy  is definitely thin , and at 11 mths needs good nutrition to grow with .   Not a nutrition expert ..esp not quantities ..as I work off what the dog looks like ...  BUT suggest  3 meals a day(so he gets the amount he needs, but not  a huge mass at once ) of good meaty food .. beef brisket / chicken/ lamb ..whole eggs ... a good pet mince containing bone for his calcium , perhaps ? all sorts of meat/organs/offal  

• Like 4

He will be indeed. Just got to get this food thing right. We just want him to be happy, healthy and loved. We have a female amstaff she is little miss independent and only cuddles when it suits her. This little (huge) man hasnt left our side since we bought him home and she won't admit it but she is smitten just as much as we are haha

• Like 2

@Ethangreatdane you have had some good responses so far, but not many have seen your post in this subforum. I have requested that it be moved as suggested by Krislin above, so that many more knowledgeable people can see it.

100% agree that the chicken wing tips might be perfect for a chihuahua pup, but your boy needs chicken carcasses NOT wing tips. 

• Like 2