I guess it had to happen at some stage - the Universe has spoken

7 hours ago, tdierikx said:

Resizing is easy as pie with this little program... http://www.fookes.com/easy-thumbnails

T.

Nothing is “easy as pie” for me when it comes to IT.  Most of the time I don’t even understand the questions let alone figure out the answers  :( :(.  Apart from the fact that (and I hope I am not jinxing myself) I don’t need to worry so much about viruses, I still regret getting the Apple iMac.  With my old PC I could do anything just about. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dame Danny's Darling said:

Nothing is “easy as pie” for me when it comes to IT.  Most of the time I don’t even understand the questions let alone figure out the answers  :( :(.  Apart from the fact that (and I hope I am not jinxing myself) I don’t need to worry so much about viruses, I still regret getting the Apple iMac.  With my old PC I could do anything just about. 

felt that way about our Mac too - so much so I stopped using it and hubby took it over. I was lucky and got a new PC when I went back to uni.  That said, it lasted 7 years, worked like a mongrel dog and never once got a virus - my pc craps it's pants, so to speak, fairly regulary and is as buggy as all get out, so the mac was worth every penny. 

• 3 weeks later...

Many years ago on DOL when the Rescue forum was much more active, someone started a thread on emotions when foster dogs went to their new homes.  I was pretty sanguine and said that I happily waved them off to their new homes.  Someone else said they cried buckets.  I certainly didn’t feel superior :laugh: :laugh:, but I did feel a sense of relief that I wasn’t a mess when foster dogs left me.  

Well the years have passed and many dogs have come and gone, my own have grown old and crossed the ‘Bridge with just the oldies Jeune, Tamar and Bunter still with me.  On Satuday, Benji goes to his new home and guess what?  I am already feeling very teary.  

It will be such a lovely home for him (another similar age, size and playful dog and people home all the time, several walks a day), but I will miss his gorgeous blocky face and the way he pushes his nose against my legs as he follows me around the house.  I will miss his soft and warm body keeping me warm at night.  

And then Stevie has a meet and greet on Friday and a home situation that sounds very attractive.  

Soooooo things is changing around here :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  .

It has been only three months since I embarked on looking after dogs again (Stella in late March while her mum was in hospital) and then fostering Benji and Stevie the day Stella went home, but I think because they are all young and lively, I have invested a lot of emotion and care into them.  

Aren’t I silly? I know I will be fine, just rabbiting on.     

• Like 7

I agree. Not silly. Just sounds like you really care and love them. Sounds like you have done an awesome job and you should feel very proud sending them off to their new homes. But you're still allowed to miss them. :flower:

• Like 2

I think it takes a very special person to foster full stop and an "even more specialer" one not foster fail.  I don't think I'd have it in me to foster - and I'm sure I'd fail with the first.

Of course you'll miss them - they seem like lovely little pooches and you've poured your heart and soul and time into having them. :heart:

Glad to hear it sounds like they both have great homes.  The best possible outcome!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Experienced the shortest trial ever yesterday - 3hours.  Rescuer and I took Stevie off for a meet and greet.  I had previously said no to this party because they lived in a unit without even a balcony.  They did have another little dog, the man often worked from home, the woman worked a few days a week for 4-5 hours.  Their current dog is walked twice a day and in summer they spend every weekend at their house near Port Stephens.  Even so, I did not believe Stevie was a suitable dog to live in an apartment even with owners dedicated to walking and taking outside to pee.  

Rescuer spoke to the woman on a few occasions and during one conversation she said that they hoped to move full time to their beach house in 12-18 months’ time.  Eventually, I agreed that it couldn’t hurt to at least meet them.  

After we’d been there for a couple of hours, including a long walk with both dogs and lots of playing in the house, the woman asked if we could leave Stevie for the weekend.  Now this is not something either I or the rescuer would normally do, but it did seem to be a good idea as the man was going to be home all weekend and the woman was working for just a few hours on Saturday.   Their dog was a lovely little fellow and the house was full of toys, the dogs were allowed on the bed and the furniture.  

Less than three hours later the call came through:  they just couldn’t cope, because, despite being taken downstairs every 1/2 hour, Stevie was peeing everywhere and after a while their dog (who was 100% reliable while they were gone) started peeing over the top.  Please note that they were told over and over again, that this would happen, but I guess until it does, people don’t realise how bad it can be.  Their house was carpeted end to end with lots of rugs and scatter rugs and I can tell you that, knowing Stevie, my heart did sink when I first walked into the house as I thought of the commitment and management required to make it work.  

Unfortunately, I didn’t check my phone for some hours and so didn’t see the message from the rescuer until much later at night, otherwise I would have gone straight away and collected him.  Even so, the rescuer had to dissuade me from hopping in the car LOL.  

The man dropped him back at my place just after 9 the following morning.  Pour little boy was soooooo subdued.  Apparently he’d been sick and had had diarrhoea.  So lesson learned, but hard on Stevie.  I took him out with me yesterday afternoon to PetStock hoping to teach him that car rides didn’t result in his being left behind.  

2 hours ago, Dame Danny's Darling said:

Experienced the shortest trial ever yesterday - 3hours.  Rescuer and I took Stevie off for a meet and greet.  I had previously said no to this party because they lived in a unit without even a balcony.  They did have another little dog, the man often worked from home, the woman worked a few days a week for 4-5 hours.  Their current dog is walked twice a day and in summer they spend every weekend at their house near Port Stephens.  Even so, I did not believe Stevie was a suitable dog to live in an apartment even with owners dedicated to walking and taking outside to pee.  

Rescuer spoke to the woman on a few occasions and during one conversation she said that they hoped to move full time to their beach house in 12-18 months’ time.  Eventually, I agreed that it couldn’t hurt to at least meet them.  

After we’d been there for a couple of hours, including a long walk with both dogs and lots of playing in the house, the woman asked if we could leave Stevie for the weekend.  Now this is not something either I or the rescuer would normally do, but it did seem to be a good idea as the man was going to be home all weekend and the woman was working for just a few hours on Saturday.   Their dog was a lovely little fellow and the house was full of toys, the dogs were allowed on the bed and the furniture.  

Less than three hours later the call came through:  they just couldn’t cope, because, despite being taken downstairs every 1/2 hour, Stevie was peeing everywhere and after a while their dog (who was 100% reliable while they were gone) started peeing over the top.  Please note that they were told over and over again, that this would happen, but I guess until it does, people don’t realise how bad it can be.  Their house was carpeted end to end with lots of rugs and scatter rugs and I can tell you that, knowing Stevie, my heart did sink when I first walked into the house as I thought of the commitment and management required to make it work.  

Unfortunately, I didn’t check my phone for some hours and so didn’t see the message from the rescuer until much later at night, otherwise I would have gone straight away and collected him.  Even so, the rescuer had to dissuade me from hopping in the car LOL.  

The man dropped him back at my place just after 9 the following morning.  Pour little boy was soooooo subdued.  Apparently he’d been sick and had had diarrhoea.  So lesson learned, but hard on Stevie.  I took him out with me yesterday afternoon to PetStock hoping to teach him that car rides didn’t result in his being left behind.  

Is he still available? I might know someone ... 

2 hours ago, Dame Danny's Darling said:

Is he still available? I might know someone ... 

Also @Dame Danny's Darling all your photos have gone to photobucket hell :(

Edited by Scottsmum
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Cazablanca said:

Poor Stevie, hope he settles back in okay, till his forever home comes up.   You're doing a great job with him DDD, how is Benji going in his new place?

He was very subdued when he came back.  I think he felt as though he'd been punished or deserted.  He has been okay today.  

Benji is going great guns.  Officially adopted now and we could not want for a better home.  I feel very happy when I think of him and how it all worked out for him.  

• Like 4

Something has gone radically wrong with my plans to “downsize” ......  I now have six little dogs.  Stevie’s meets and greets have not turned out, I have another little mini foxie and another little oldie.  

Why do people lie? A couple had been talking to Stevie’s rescuer ever since they saw him on the website.  Many phone conversations, very detailed discussions about fences, deck balustrades, the importance of 100% security, photographs, etc etc  and the fact that a yard check was not negotiable.  The man visited me on Saturday to meet with both Stevie and Minnie with a view to adopting them together.  Fencing and security have been discussed many times and even when the man was here on Saturday, we discussed fencing and how if there is the slightest gap foxies will find it. I even pointed out that I thought I had Fort Knox, but Stevie found a weakness which has, of course, long since been plugged - much to his annoyance LOL.  The man was here for a couple of hours and at one stage said that he thought he would be able to take them home with him after the visit and he’d bought some things for the car !!   After he’d left, I texted the rescuer saying that if everything went to plan and she was happy, Stevie and Minnie would be adopted.   When she phoned them to organise a yard check for Monday the people kept tripping themselves up causing Tania to probe more deeply until, finally, the truth came out:  despite it being discussed many times they did NOT have a fence because the man had taken it down.  Hours and hours of wasted time on the phone, via texts, emails, etc etc.  I was absolutely furious with the couple.    

I have some delightful photos of Stevie’s new cougar girlfriend but now I can’t use Photobucket, I am a bit stymied.  If I can email them to someone wonder if that someone would do it for me.   :) :)

The other little girl is a fully paid up member of the geriatrics club and looks to be a cross between a Poodle and a Bedlington.   Very sweet, very cuddly ........ and very unreliable with her toileting  :( :( Luckily she is not interested in sleeping on the bed :eek::eek:. I think (everything possible crossed) that she might be on the improve, though.  Ditto with photographs.    

• Like 4