I guess it had to happen at some stage - the Universe has spoken

Updates on Minnie are wonderful.  According to her new mum, she is the most popular resident of the village.  The village is amazing, by the way, must cost a fortune to buy into, but it is more like a village than a village LOL.   Lots of walks, beautiful gardens, some of the vantage points have breathtaking views; there are communal places, an indoor swimming pool where (when we visited)people were doing aqua aerobics, a restaurant, such a great place.  So happy for Minnie and her new mum.    

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I am in shock.  The situation that pushed me back into fostering was that a lady had to go into hospital and needed her little dog looked after has taken a sad sad turn.  Just checked my messages after spending most of the morning in the garden to have one telling me that Stella’s mum has passed away.  I didn’t even know her, but feel so sad and shocked.  Cancer is such a horrible disease, so many hopes raised and dashed and raised and dashed.  At least she knew that Stella would be safe as she will be coming back here for fostering.   :cry: :cry: :cry:.  It will be lovely to see Stella again, but the underlying sorrow will be hard to shift.  

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve finally registered with Flickr, still finding my way, but after a bit of fiddling, here are some photos:

I have my very own little Lion[ess] King.  Behind the houses across the road from me is the top of the Lane Cove Reserve.  I’ve never gone very far into it as I am not as steady on the old pins as I used to be, but a couple of weeks ago, I took Tamar and Stevie because I know I can safely let Tamar off the lead.  I probably could let Stevie off as well, but he is a foster and off lead is against the rules and rightly so.  I turned to check on Tamar and this is what I saw:

36142560494_39a4863884_n.jpgIMG_0496 by Cynthia Waters, on Flickr

• Like 7

This is how Orla sleeps - hanging off the edge of whatever bed she is on.  Bunter looks as though he is wondering what of earth his mum had brought into the house.  Orla is nearly 16 (in December) and she is doing really well.  Had a few problems at the beginning, but things are looking up.   

36806772072_f974bac1f7_m.jpgIMG_0492 by Cynthia Waters, on Flickr

• Like 5

My very first Frenchie, 1982, Emma always slept hanging over the edge of whatever she decided to go to sleep on, I always worried that she would slip off so put a pillow straight underneath her, she never ever slipped off :) she lived until she was 12 years old and always slept this way, bless her.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Scottsmum said:

Yay. Im so happy you're back sharing photos DDD. Photobucket have no idea of the devistation they caused when they made sharing dog pics harder. :scold:

They're all looking well. :)

There will be no stopping me now, @Scottsmum :laugh: :laugh:   I posted a couple in a new thread LOL - because I could and because Stella is totally entrancing.  But no one comes close to my Lioness Queen LOL.  

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Well, this afternoon is going to be very tough.  After six months, dozens of applications, a few meet and greets, one trial (which lasted a couple of hours), Stevie is going to his new home.  He has been such a lovely companion and I am going to miss him so much, but he needs so much more playing with and walking than I can give him.  The mind is willing, but the body isn’t :cry: :cry:.   He is going to live with a family of three (mum home most of the day, dad and 10 year old daughter).  They have another rescue mini FT who is lively, alert and good natured with lots of spark.   I think he will be very happy, but I am going to need my tissues.    

• Like 4

I think having happy lively girls (one two legged and one four legged) will get him over the line.   And he will have someone home most of the time.  He is a sensitive little soul, so it might take a little while.  His new house is on about three levels so he will be lost for a while.    

• 1 month later...

Today has been totally devastating and I am feeling shocked and so so saddened.  Today, we said goodbye to Orla who had been here only for five months and was so contented and so totally at home.  My heart is broken for that funny, smelly, pooping little girl.  

Last night at about 1/4 to seven, I started getting dinner for the dogs. As Orla is usually in the kitchen under my feet at the first sound of the frig door opening, when she didn’t appear, I looked into the lounge to see her panting very heavily and holding out her front right leg.  I picked her up and gently went through the routine of trying to find where she hurt, whether she had a burr in her pads, the usual examination.  Only when I reached her shoulder did she react and took my hand in her mouth to tell me that hurt.  My immediate thought was a pulled muscle and I quickly phoned her rescuer who met me 1/2 way between her place and mine with some pain medication.  

I made up a little pen in the lounge with barricades as the crate wasn’t big enough for her to stretch out in and at 6.30 the following morning gave her another Tramadol.  She was hungry and after I’d taken her downstairs to pee, gave her a little bit of food.  Her leg was useless and knuckling over so as soon as they opened, I made an appointment to take her to the vet.  The vet was very concerned that Orla had torn nerves, but said to continue with her pain medication, watch her over the weekend and bring her back on Monday.  The time elapsed between leaving the vet and getting home would have been about ten minutes and as soon as I’d put Orla on a bed in the lounge she threw up, something she’d never done.  I picked her up and she went into one of the worst seizures I’d ever seen.  Well I’d never seen anything more than a dog have a little fit and be out of it and fine within a couple of minutes.  This just wasn’t stopping.  I couldn’t stop holding her, but managed to call a neighbour who rushed around and drove me to the vet and I met the rescuer there.  Orla was still in a bad way and I honestly thought she might pass away even before we reached the vet.  

To cut a long story short, the processes that the vet said we would need to go through to just perhaps find out what was wrong with her, filled me with dread at the prospect of this elderly, already health compromised little girl going through it, being all alone in hospital and then perhaps not making it.  We discussed it for a little while and it was decided we should let her go.  She was obviously in a very poor way, the seizure had taken a huge toll and even when she was given a calming injection, it was obvious that another seizure was coming on.  

Goodbye my little darling:

IMG_0596

• Sad 7

Bless beautiful Orla, she was a precious girl and lucky to have had you with her when she went to the :rainbowbridge:

It must have been a terrible shock for you to see her have such a terrible seizure. 

:grouphug:to you for being so caring.

• Thanks 1