Vaccinations, what's the correct amount?

Hi just wandering what people's thoughts on annual vaccinations are. I've always been told by my vet that after the initial puppy vaccinations a yearly c5 is required but after doing a bit of goggleing this seems to be disputed by a lot of experts, with most others countries now following a 3 yearly c3 and just a yearly kennel caugh vaccination. With the yearly c5 now being thought to do more harm by over vaccinating and Messing with the dogs natural immune system.

what vaccination routine do you all follow?

interested in hearing, cheers :)

The AVA has info on its website which you might like to read. Basically they recommend the core vaccines, ie the C3, be given every 3 years after the puppy shots, or potentially even less often, and the non core annually if required. Noting however that local environmental and dog specific variables may call for something different.

I give C3 every three years and canine cough annually. If I didn't show my dogs and sometimes board them I would not give the canine cough - but kennels expect it. 

You may find that many on here titre test instead of routinely revaccinating. 

• Like 2

Yes. You may find some who still try and convince you to do yearly full vacs but if so just ask another vet, the majority seem on board with it around here

The trick is to find a good vet who will listen - in my experience they have much more faith in your judgement if you also take your animals in for yearly check ups regardless of whether they are due for a vax. So it's not about saving money but doing what is right for your pet. I do 3 yearly C3 and Kennel Cough every 12 months. The latter is by no means a fail safe but my dogs do go into high risk environments.

• Like 3

I used to do an annual C5, but last year spoke with vets about my dog's circumstances* and decided to switch to 3-yearly C3 but continue the annual kennel cough vaccine and do a Vaccicheck titre test each year.

I agree with what TSD says above. I think vets fear that people won't bring their dogs in for annual check ups which remain important. And there's a lot of misinformation out there about vaccinations. I think referencing reliable sources of veterinary information e.g. AVA & WSAVA guidelines can be helpful.

*Vaccination requirements can change depending on your dog's health status, age, vaccination history and level of exposure (direct and environmental) with other dogs. And not always how you may think!

• Like 1

I haven't vaccinated any of my adult dogs or cats for almost 30 years. 

You need to weigh up the risks that apply to your dog and continue to assess those risks for the life of your dog. 

Risks include interaction with other dogs, visiting areas frequented by other dogs, humans that visit you that may have come into contact with other dogs, boarding kennels, frail health and low immunity of your dog, the age of your dog and it's breed. 

Speak to your vet about any concerns. My vets are fine with my decision. They know that I rely on them for advice and that I consider every decision carefully. 

• Like 1