Potty training issues Sutherland shire8

Sarah88

Hi all, 

i have 8 month old beaglier that I've had for about 4 months now. Considering she's Half beagle she hasn't been to bad to train except for the potty training now that has been a nightmare! My partner and I live in a apartment so unfortunately the potty training will obviously be a little harder. The first two months she'd basically relieve herself around the apartment even tho I'd be taking her down stairs quite abit during the day. Anyway since then I've placed a fake grass pee pad outside on the balcony for her. Which she has been using ... sometimes the rest of the time she's just basically peeing on the tiles outside on the balcony. Which felt like a win about a month ago.. but now I'm daily washing the tiles before I go to work so they balcony doesn't stink. I've been waking up at 5:30 every morning and running her down to the front of apartment so she can relieve herself. To try and train her to well hold it till she goes on walks/ gets her ust to using grass. Unfortunately I've had a few scares the last few times I've run her down to grass area in front of the apartment . The area we live in well isn't exactly the safest area to be walking around in the dark. 

The other residents with dogs in our complex have successfully trained there dogs to either hold there business till they go on walks. Or they only pee on there grass pads and poo on walks. Which would be awesome! my little puppy has no issues peeing outside but I'll take her for nearly 2 hour walk. And she'll hold the poos in till we get back to the apartment. So frustrating!  Umm extra info during the day to stop her from destroying the apartment while we are at work we lock her in the bathroom where she pees in the bathtub... gross but let's face it easiest to clean. This is only a short term till we can trust her not to Destroy and urinate everywhere. 

Please help!! 

psst...you may want to check forum guidelines  at the top of the page - the forum  prefers  mixed breed dogs be called what they are , a Beagle x , Pugx , etc ;) 

Has she been speyed yet ? Sometimes , approaching a season , bitches will pee a LOT more . 
It would also be useful to know what surfaces she used for a toilet before you got her ... 
a 2 hr walk!!  That's a long way for a youngster .. can you take her twice  a day , instead of once ? She may be more inclined to try & hold on if she thinks there's a regular walk :)
I have never had a dog in an apartment long term, so can't really help .
The only things I can suggest  off the top of my head ..are to clean with a good biologically based cleaner .. 'urine-off' or similar named products :) AND .. teach her to associate toileting with a word you choose . Remember though, you'll be using this in public . I use 'Quick, or Quick, quick.

I found this old thread for you - hope it can be of help :)

CLICK HERE

• Like 2

Cheers Persephone

she has been desexed thankfully..as to the surfaces she used before I'm guessing  the pavement she's from a puppy farm.Possibly why she prefers to relieve herself on the tiles rather then grass. As for the walking she gets two regular walks a day once in the morning before I go to work usually 20 min as well as an afternoon walk as soon as I get home usually an hour walk.. that 2 hours was a one off sometimes my partner may even take her for a 20 min run when he gets home to burn that puppy energy. I'm also training her to ring a bell near the door so alert me me as to when she needs to go relieve herself. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Sarah88 said:

Hi all, 

i have 8 month old beaglier that I've had for about 4 months now. Considering she's Half beagle she hasn't been to bad to train except for the potty training now that has been a nightmare! My partner and I live in a apartment so unfortunately the potty training will obviously be a little harder. The first two months she'd basically relieve herself around the apartment even tho I'd be taking her down stairs quite abit during the day. Anyway since then I've placed a fake grass pee pad outside on the balcony for her. Which she has been using ... sometimes the rest of the time she's just basically peeing on the tiles outside on the balcony. Which felt like a win about a month ago.. but now I'm daily washing the tiles before I go to work so they balcony doesn't stink. I've been waking up at 5:30 every morning and running her down to the front of apartment so she can relieve herself. To try and train her to well hold it till she goes on walks/ gets her ust to using grass. Unfortunately I've had a few scares the last few times I've run her down to grass area in front of the apartment . The area we live in well isn't exactly the safest area to be walking around in the dark. 

The other residents with dogs in our complex have successfully trained there dogs to either hold there business till they go on walks. Or they only pee on there grass pads and poo on walks. Which would be awesome! my little puppy has no issues peeing outside but I'll take her for nearly 2 hour walk. And she'll hold the poos in till we get back to the apartmenstop her from destroying the apartmenUmm extra info during the day to t while we are at workt. So frustrating!   we lock her in the bathroom where she pees in the bathtub... gross but let's face it easiest to clean. This is only a short term till we can trust her not to Destroy and urinate everywhere. 

Please help!! 

Do you think you have enough time for this dog , locking a dog in the bathroom every work day must be quite boring for her.

I think being half Beagle she should be enjoying a nice out door grass yard. 

Will you be moving into a house with yard any time soon , good luck with toilet training if you are not home much.

I would suggest you need to set up a day pen in the house to allow your pup Amore stimulating environment .

The bathroom is not an option nor really suitable .

A 2 hr walk is to long at its age as is running the puppy you need to meet the mental needs daily and tiring the puppy won't work ,you teaching it to get stronger but training it to enjoy confinement and a li tied lifestyle  ,your lucky it hasn't started to bark .

Toilet training in an apartment can become very confusing because in your case your expecting it to toilet inside for greater majority of time but then outside at others  .It spends most of its life licked up reliant on humans to be there to toilet so reality is home is for toileting ,if puppy hasn't been taught to poo onlead that can be an issue not all will poo on a leash .

What you need to both decide is what your plan is in winter as often most do t want to stand outside waiting for the dog to toilet so if it's important to go at home then set pup up for success there ,get some real turf and place in a tray 

• Like 4

Sarah, I've got the conni critters pet pads and they are a godsend. Soak up wee, but you can wash them and they stop wee getting on the floor. Do you have an outside area to your apartment (other than the balcony)? I live in a unit and have a 200m2 courtyard. That's about a third of a houseblock, so a great yard. Despite having a doggy door open all day, the cocker spaniel isn't the best at going outside. She does however pee on the pads, so no longer any stink. I'd put pads all over your balcony, so she has to pee on them, then work to reducing the number and her still peeing on them. You can do that in the bathroom too, stick some in the tub, so she wees on them. Leave them smelly for a few days so she gets the idea that is where she's meant to wee, then relocate to where you want her to wee.

• Like 3

Look for a good quality, low salt, low filler dog food. Many dry dog foods use salt as a preservative; as a result, the dog is thirsty, drinks more and wees more. Cheap dog foods tend to be bulked up with cereals, beet pulp and other fillers that produce more frequent, more voluminous stools.

• Like 2

On 07/05/2017 at 1:16 PM, karen15 said:

Sarah, I've got the conni critters pet pads and they are a godsend. Soak up wee, but you can wash them and they stop wee getting on the floor. Do you have an outside area to your apartment (other than the balcony)? I live in a unit and have a 200m2 courtyard. That's about a third of a houseblock, so a great yard. Despite having a doggy door open all day, the cocker spaniel isn't the best at going outside. She does however pee on the pads, so no longer any stink. I'd put pads all over your balcony, so she has to pee on them, then work to reducing the number and her still peeing on them. You can do that in the bathroom too, stick some in the tub, so she wees on them. Leave them smelly for a few days so she gets the idea that is where she's meant to wee, then relocate to where you want her to wee.

Thankyou so much Karen15 for your help I really appreciate the advice. I just purchased the Connie pee pads hopefully they'll work. Unfortunately no I only have a balcony no courtyard. Shelby is quite good when she wants to be I can get her to do her business outside when I take her out for walks. Which is what we have been doing the last four days. She as of Monday has had free range of apartment.. she's been okay except for the two days where she pee in the apartment  first time was due to Bordem the second time... she had pooed on the grass pad so she peed in the apartment. 

Edited by Sarah88

F

On 08/05/2017 at 5:17 AM, DogsAndTheMob said:

Look for a good quality, low salt, low filler dog food. Many dry dog foods use salt as a preservative; as a result, the dog is thirsty, drinks more and wees more. Cheap dog foods tend to be bulked up with cereals, beet pulp and other fillers that produce more frequent, more voluminous stools.

That's good to know! What would you recommend?  But she's on science Diet? The vet recommended it 

On 04/05/2017 at 6:58 PM, showdog said:

I would suggest you need to set up a day pen in the house to allow your pup Amore stimulating environment .

The bathroom is not an option nor really suitable .

A 2 hr walk is to long at its age as is running the puppy you need to meet the mental needs daily and tiring the puppy won't work ,you teaching it to get stronger but training it to enjoy confinement and a li tied lifestyle  ,your lucky it hasn't started to bark .

Toilet training in an apartment can become very confusing because in your case your expecting it to toilet inside for greater majority of time but then outside at others  .It spends most of its life licked up reliant on humans to be there to toilet so reality is home is for toileting ,if puppy hasn't been taught to poo onlead that can be an issue not all will poo on a leash .

What you need to both decide is what your plan is in winter as often most do t want to stand outside waiting for the dog to toilet so if it's important to go at home then set pup up for success there ,get some real turf and place in a tray