puppy enquiries - texting stories

MonElite

"They will teach her not to wonder"    -  I've seen this so often on lost and found sites, when they are describing a dog wandering!   Just  hate it - the dog is not wondering, it's wandering!! 

This is so clever and so annoying at the same time.  I'm sure puppy breeders must tear their hair out at some of the conversations.

• Like 1

I had a nice one recently

It was all good and I would have been happy to sell them a dog, until they told me that they spoke to another breeder (Dalmatians) and want the dally docked if I can help with finding a vet that would do it.

I said I won't be helping them with info about docking and their breeder should be informing them of it all, they told me there is no need to be rude 

I think maybe they had the two breeds mixed up with the docking part of it LOL but regardless I'm not selling them a puppy if they are getting another puppy of the same age of a different breed.

• Like 4

MonElite

I had a quick look at your puppy page - I can see why some people would be confused about docking and ear cropping - as one of the parents features this - I'm guessing that's because the father is from OS.   And you have one puppy that has been legally "trimmed".   I think it might be helpful to add to the page that docking and cropping is not legal in Australia and you won't be helping buyers get their dogs done. 

And maybe add that the legal puppy is also imported or had an accident that resulted in... or explain it in a way that people won't want to "try this at home" but can understand how you have one but don't normally.

All the puppies are gorgeous and mum looks very tolerant and forgiving with the ears on... I can understand why you're getting all sorts of enquiries.  Hope you find the right homes.

Also you put "show" and "competition" on the list together - does that include competition like obedience / agility / IPO ? Not that I'm thinking of getting a puppy at the moment or a dobe but obedience/agility/IPO are the dog obsessed people I know.

I love the videos you made.  Have shared them on FB...

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips.

I get the cropped ears and docked tails all the time, even if both parents have full tail. People see does in movies and in photos form overseas and want to have one like that.

Do you think that when I say that the sire is Aragon Sav San imp LTV that is not enough for someone to know he is an import? Should I change it?

Re competition - yes I mean any dog sports, that is tracking agility IPO etc etc

• Like 1

I don't know that people would take from that that the sire is imported and that's why he's docked/cropped and I don't think a lot of people are aware that docking/cropping is illegal - I've had many conversations with people who think that natural bobtail Aussie Shepherds are docked.

I don't think you necessarily need to change how you name the sire but it probably wouldn't hurt to put a statement on your website that docking and cropping are illegal in Australia and that you do not do or support it. No doubt you'll still get idiots that ask for it, offer to pay extra etc but that's unavoidable.

• Like 2

the sire is Aragon Sav San imp LTV

I guess that would separate the newbies from the savvy breeders... Cos i guessed that "imp" might mean imported and not small fairy goblin mischievous creature.  Still could not guess what LTV means.  When I google "dog LTV" I get something about vertebrae but not sure how that applies in this context or if it applies.  Does the sire have it or is he clear?  And if that's the case - why is there no code for clear of hip dysplasia or healthy score or something.

And I'd count myself as one of the dog obsessed (but more so with training than breeding or dobes specifically).

I also wasn't entirely sure if the sire was here in Oz with you (ie customers could meet him and see what he was like beyond a photo), or if it was imported semen and AI litter.

Jargon is always fun.  Does BC mean Border Collie or Blind Cross? Blind cross is an agility handing move not a breeding accident...

I'd just put a short paragraph to explain about ears and tails - on the puppy page.   And maybe even have a check box on the enquiry form to say that people understand that  surgery on dogs to alter tails and ears for cosmetic reasons (aka docking and cropping) is illegal in Australia .

Some breeders also put something about the breed - what their lines are like - what kind of person the breed might suit.  The explanation might go there too.   Most of the "tyre kickers" won't read it (cf responses to women's profiles on dating sites that suggest the men do not read what the women wrote at all).   The ones doing more serious research might. 

I guess I'd have a page that answers the FAQ you get that you'd rather not be answering over and over as a way of separating out the more serious buyers or somewhere to send people back to if they ask the same old same old.  But I guess there is a balance or limit somewhere or you end up with a website like woodhaven labs or ruffly speaking or even Jane Killion pigs might fly - tho I think she's more about training people to train dogs than breeding.

So bottom line - changing the website a bit might help a few people, but will it help the ones who want a dobe that looks like the ones from Magnum PI - probably not.   If only we could fix "stupid" (as featured in your sms conversations).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MonElite said:

Thanks for the tips.

I get the cropped ears and docked tails all the time, even if both parents have full tail. People see does in movies and in photos form overseas and want to have one like that.

Do you think that when I say that the sire is Aragon Sav San imp LTV that is not enough for someone to know he is an import? Should I change it?

Re competition - yes I mean any dog sports, that is tracking agility IPO etc etc

Yes. 
You do need to spell things out on your website to cut down on the number of moronic enquiries. Avoid abbreviations and acronyms. I know it is what is on his registration certificate but you need to change (imp Ltv) to "imported from Latvia" or where ever. And I would agree with Mrs RB that instead  of "show" and "competition" it is much better to define as "conformation, tracking, agility, obedience," etc etc|

And definitely a great idea to remind puppy seekers that in Australia has been illegal to crop ears (since 1901 or whenever- dunno - before my time anyway LOL) and illegal to dock tails since 2004.

A great way to proof your website against jargon is to have a friend, neighbour or family member who knows zilch about dogs to read it and then tell you what they have understood and what they have not. It is amazing what we assume that others know!
Plus (tongue in cheek) you can always add a "for other breeders" page that swims in jargon to show that you know it LOL!

• Like 2

Thank you so much for your input.

ii've changed the import bit and put a short statement about cropping and docking  (can't put that I don't support it, because I do)

I might do a FAQ page

i really do some funny and weird questions all the time 

On on another note - got a enquiry text at 11.30 pm!!

ive answered at 5.45am lol

• Like 4

I think I'd keep all the font at the bigger size - the smaller font stuff is a bit hard to read and I have to zoom the page - being old and all.  Even tho I've got my bifocals on.

You could indent it or italic it to make the quoted bit on the main puppy page clear if you wanted.

And just wondering (wandering thoughts) what "WAC" means...

Keep thinking "knick knack paddy wac give a dog a bone... "

WAC Thank you so much for your input.

ii've changed the import bit and put a short statement about cropping and docking  (can't put that I don't support it, because I do)

I might do a FAQ page

i really do some funny and weird questions all the time 

On on another note - got a enquiry text at 11.30 pm!!

ive answered at 5.45am lol