(Pet) Dogs on Patrol/Qld Police Initiative

mita

The Qld Police have a program where pet dogs of all shapes, sizes, breeds & ages can be ‘Dogs on Patrol’.    It’s hosted by Stafford Police District in Brisbane North but owners & their dogs come from other parts of Brisbane or near Brisbane.

The Police, in conjunction with Neighbourhood Watch, realised people walking their dogs cover many areas, like suburban streets, parks, bushland areas etc and are well placed to notice things that might warrant a call to police.

As the dog walkers tend to be regulars on their routes, they can notice things that change.  Like an elderly person they say 'Hello' to, in passing, seems to have disappeared but mail is piling up in the letterbox.  Could the person be lying helpless on the floor?  A call to police to check on their welfare could be helpful.

The Police hold an event each year in a suburban park where dog owners can get a free blue collar disc for their dog which says 'Dogs on Patrol An Initiative of the Qld Police Service'.  Officers, on the spot, engrave the dog's name & phone no on the back.

It's a fun afternoon, too..... with stalls & displays and visit from the Police Dog Squad & police puppies.   There's also free coffee, hot dogs, drinks and ice-cream.  

We went to the first event couple years back so our 2 small dogs wear their 'Dogs on Patrol' discs on their collars.  

The event for 2017 will  be next Sunday, 7 May at Roy Harvey Park, Shand St, Stafford, Brisbane from 2.30pm to 4.30pm.  All info on the police website below...with lots of puns that Qld Police seem to like:

http://mypolice.qld.gov.au/brisbanenorth/2017/04/13/fureal-dogs-patrol-back-2017/

Edited by mita
  • Like 3

Very true, S&M.  The Police just remind people to be aware of what could be important as they walk their dogs.... & to take their mobile phones.   The Dogs on Patrol collar disc is a reminder.   They also give some tips to dog walkers how to stay safe themselves.

But the Stafford Police District who hosts the park event are known to be dog lovers!  Officers there foster police dog puppies & on Cup Cake sale day for rescue, the front porch of their main police station is full of goodies they've baked.

Which is why the officers enjoy the afternoon as much as the owners & pet dogs.  And they get to pat & cuddle hundreds of dogs as pics from last year show! 

http://mypolice.qld.gov.au/brisbanenorth/2016/04/19/hundreds-new-recruits-sign-dogs-patrol/

Edited by mita
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, westiemum said:

This is a great initiative.  I hope other jurisdictions take it up.  Whiel my Sarah is a bit old, Andy would be terrific.

Yeah if they did that here I'd totally be up for it. :)

At one stage I thought briefly about how cool it would be to be a Police dog handler... but I'm too much of a softy, definitely not a policey type but it would be pretty cool. 

4 hours ago, Scrappi&Monty said:

Yeah if they did that here I'd totally be up for it. :)

At one stage I thought briefly about how cool it would be to be a Police dog handler... but I'm too much of a softy, definitely not a policey type but it would be pretty cool. 

I bet you'd make a great one, S&M!  

Our neighbour's new tibbie came from a registered breeder who was a retired police officer who started the Qld Police Dog Squad in the 1970s, using a couple of military dogs donated by the RAAF.  When he retired he showed & bred tibetan spaniels.  Several months back he tragically died.  Our neighbours adopted his favourite boy, Creedence.

Don't you reckon he must've been a bit of a softy to move from his beloved Shepherds to little Tibetan Spaniels?:)  

To round the circle, our neighbour took Creedence to the police event today so he could get his collar disc saying he's in a Qld Police Service program.  Just like his late 'dad'.

Edited by mita
  • Like 1