Mental Health Assistance Dogs

Jodipug

Although they aren't brilliant sheddingwise, if she is looking for a dog that is a big cuddle bug that ADORES their humans and is irresistible to cuddle;

staffies! Or American Staffies! 

I have my cuddle bug Monty fast asleep on my lap in front of the bonfire right now, he just loves us so much and vice versa :heart:

If you can find a rescue staffy who's passed a temperament test to be suitable as an assistance dog they'll love you forever! :) 

Though most dogs are loving of course, regardless of breed they're all dogs! The most loving souls on earth hehe. 

• Like 2

MindDog do indeed have a Facebook page and they are also on Instagram. :)

There are lots of little psychiatric service dogs with coats that shed to varying degrees.

Like this cutie:

A Papillon may be suitable but they do shed, albeit much less than Pugs. The fur is also easier to remove as it's not so tiny and sticky!

Edited by Papillon Kisses
  • Like 4

As Pug owners you have one of the worst shedding breeds in the world! :laugh:

So if you change your requirements from a hypo-allergenic dog to a single coated silky coated small breed (which are low-to-moderate shedders but their hair doesn't stick into things like short-coated breeds, so sweeps or vacuums easily) OR a woolly low shedding small breed, that widens your choice. I would avoid all of the smooth coated breeds as they often have the spiky shed hair that sticks to everything.

Of the woolly breeds, I think that the best for your purpose would be the Havanese or the Lowchen, both these breeds are usually fairly bombproof, friendly and easy to train with sturdy bodies. If you can get an adult whose temperament is suitable, then definitely add Miniature Schnauzers to this list, but don't gamble on a puppy, as temperaments vary so much in this breed. Adult temperament is half genetics and half environment, so don't gamble that your perfect nurturing of a perfect mini schnauzer puppy will lead to a perfect adult.

Of the silky low shedders I would suggest that Papillon should top your list, if brushed daily for 5 minutes they are very low shedding, if only brushed weekly you are going to get moderate shedding. They are the smallest of the spaniels and very easy to train. The next one to look at would be the Japanese Spitz, they are the easiest to train of all the spitz breeds and smart to boot. They can get can a bit wary with strangers and they do blow their coat twice a year, which would probably send your other caregiver bananas when it happens, but are only moderate shedders the rest of the time (and extremely clean dogs, their coat seems to repel dirt, and they have almost zero doggy smell). 

They are the breeds that come to mind when looking at your requirements. The downside is that there are very probably waiting lists for puppies from ethical breeders,

So I would urge you not to overlook adults - what you see is what you get and you know before getting the dog whether or not it is bombproof and readily trainable.

And don't overlook the foster care network rescues where the carers live with the dogs and will be able to honestly tell you about temperament and shedding, For your needs you should avoid pounds, shelters or rescue groups that kennel the dogs, simply because they can't tell you as much as someone who has been living with the dog.
A few of the very many maltese crosses and poodle crosses in rescue might suit - but some of them will be high shedding and they will vary wildly in temperament but there will probably be more of those to choose from than puppies in the breeds I have recommended.

• Like 4

I wasn't aware that Japanese Spitz were an easy to train dog... ya learn something every day :-) I suppose that being a Husky owner I assumed that all Spitz breeds are somewhat challenging to train LOL. I wonder if German Spitz or even a Keeshond would also be suitable?? Notwithstanding the shedding issues but the odour free coats would be a bonus and they are very clean dogs, and if anything like their bigger cousins - they don't require clipping or regular baths. So the occasional brushing is often less work than with non-shedding dogs. 

I would also imagine that gentle brushing such a dog would be very therapeutic. And I can 100% say that plucking out little clumps of undercoat when it starts to blow is such a satisfying pastime LOL 

Also, for some reason I always pictured a medium sized dog to be ideal in such a role, but I will freely admit that I don't know much at all about mental assistance dogs at all. What I am seeing from reading the posts, is that there are a lot of choices and that it will be a case of perhaps making some compromises in coat etc to find the ideal dog. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DogsAndTheMob said:

The Lapphunds I've met have been wonderfully calm and loving. I considered the breed when I was looking for a puppy, but I didn't think I could give the coat the care it needed.

A  lot of people think it must be hard to look after my husky's coat, but I can honestly say, it is less work than my previous mini schnauzer :-) 

Yes the combination of requirements really does narrow the list. Japanese Spitz is the only Spitz I know that is easy to train - all the others no matter what size, are stubborn and independent.That doesn't make them untrainable, but it does mean that they are not the best match for a first assistance dog of any type.

Were it not for the low shedding requirement I would have recommended any of the small spaniels (providing health tested and temperamentally stable parents) but they are all, excepting the Papillon, heavy shedders even though it is silky coat. And I agree that it is not worth the risk of having the dog banned from somewhere that your daughter spends one third of her time! To force the issue and impose a heavy shedding dog on a person with possible OCD issues might mean that you end up with two mentally injured people on your hands, so I respect the reason for that requirement.

It is also makes sense to me to select a snalll breed, given that the assisted person is constantly moving between three residences. It is so much simpler move a small dog, its bed and other accoutrements, than a medium, large or giant!

• Like 3

@Jodipug
It will be a tricky search :) A WONDERFUL  partnership when it happens  :D 
here are a few of my thoughts -  just ideas .

A smaller dog may be the more convenient option with much transporting most days .
less shed fur will mean dog is more welcome/accepted in many places  .
smaller dog may be easier for your daughter to walk/carry / cuddle with ? 
Tactile contact - depends on your daughter what she finds the most grounding/comforting .. she may enjoy losing her fingers in fluff..or she may enjoy the shiny sleekness of a very short coat ..  does she like dogs with sticky-up ears, or droopy ears ...as well as bonding  like a second soul , she needs to be proud of her new companion , and to absolutely adore the physical presence .

• Like 3

the easy solution to having a non shedding breed, eg  lowchen, poodle, bichon frise, just buy a clipper and a thick blade that doesnt clip to the skin and shear it every 6 to 8 weeks.  They don't call the lamb clip that name for nothing, although I'm recomending the shorn sheep clip instead, so you just hve a short coated breed with a little help.

think this a more like I was thinking, owner is pretty nice too.

https://au.pinterest.com/pin/403353710360389672/

e.g.

.https://www.google.com.au/search?q=shorn+sheep+clip&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwixz7jEud3TAhULwrwKHeTRCp4QsAQIJA&biw=1920&bih=974

Plenty of opportunity for creative fun too 

https://clipartfest.com/download/c41417ba2c1b772815656a80c2dac146b6d6a7f6.html

or even a mohawk?

https://au.pinterest.com/pin/452893306248429096/

some pretty serious imagination at play on this page!

https://au.pinterest.com/pin/401383385511438087/

Edited by asal
  • Like 2

There is a Keeshond that is an assistance dog for a man in a wheelchair in my local area.

I wouldn't say any of the larger spitz breeds would be a good choice, as the PAT is very demanding and many of the larger spitz breeds can have issues around strange dogs which would be an instant fail.

--Lhok

• Like 2

I know you said smaller but I thought at one stage the guide dog people would sometimes have dogs that had failed as guide dogs but made suitable therapy dogs?  That way you would be sure to get the right dog for the job.  Just a thought anyway :)

• Like 3

HI Everyone!

I did do quite a long post, replying to everyone, but it didn't upload for some reason.

Firstly, thank you so much to everyone who has shown interest, made comment, or offered advice.  You have helped more than you could imagine.  We've narrowed down the search to a few breeds; Havanese, Lowchen and Miniature Schnauzer.

We've had a few really bad weeks with my daughter, and I started back at work after 6 months on Carer's Leave.  Today, whilst my daughter and I were having a snuggle in bed with our dogs, I checked Puppies for Sale on Dogzonline.  It seems everyone's got puppies for sale!  I've emailed a few breeders about puppies available, and have had contact from 2 already!

There is a 4.5 month old Havanese male that sounds perfect - past the really 'silly' stage.

I'll keep you all updated on the progress.  We're really excited and its great to raise the awareness of Assistance Dogs in the Dogzonline community.

Thanks again.

Jodi and Sienna xx

• Like 7

I met Sienna's new puppy yesterday afternoon - I am not going to give anything away, as that is for @Jodipug to share, but I did take a couple of snaps, but will only share with her permission.

I can say that the puppy is just PERFECT!!! Such a sweet boy and in my brief meeting (with my Husky) I can say that this dog has a temperament to die for.

I cannot explain how truly happy I am for them, sometimes things just seem to align :) 

PS. I know Jodi has been super busy with starting back at work, her Pug having surgery and now with the new addition, so I am not sure when she will see the post to update. 

• Like 5