New strain of Parvo

According to Dr Chris.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1827992940855318&substory_index=0&id=1512166082438007

HEALTH ALERT: A new strain of one of the most deadly dog diseases has just been discovered in Australia. Here’s all you need to know…

Merely the mention of parvovirus sends a shiver down the spine of vets and pet owners. And with good reason. It’s highly contagious and often deadly thanks to it’s dangerous combination of severe vomiting, lethargy, loss of appetite and bloody diarrhea. And while vaccination has kept it under relative control, a new strain has just been detected.

This Parvovirus 2.0 (or CPV-2c) has been detected in Victoria and South Australia with evidence it may also have spread to Queensland and the Northern Territory. While there is no vaccine available as yet, the severity of the virus is seriously lessened by having the current, conventional parvovirus vaccination. If your dog starts to show the signs listed above, please see your vet as soon as possible. I’ll keep you updated as soon as more information on CPV-2c becomes available…

This is my only source but figurerd it was worth sharing.

• Like 1

They were discussing this on talk back radio this afternoon.

The Veterinary School at Roseworthy is doing research and wants to hear directly about any cases - especially in South Australia.

One lady called in to say her vaccinated adult rottie died of it.  So you're not completely safe if your dog is vaccinated.    She didn't say where she was, or where her dog had been or have any clues about where it is in SA.    I guess if your dog gets any symptoms (the runs etc) get to a vet and get tested.

My dog has the tri-annual vax due for booster next January - so I hope we manage to avoid it.  It's very scary - given the (regular) parvo areas (Salisbury and Elizabeth) are also where a lot of agility comps get held.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket
  • Like 1

Scary. My adult GSD had a few days of bloody diarrhoea a couple of years ago after a stay in a boarding kennel near Cairns. When I got home the vet diagnosed EPI but I have had him off creatin for almost a year now with no issues. So now I am wondering..........

• Like 1

It is scary. I've seen parvo too many times, having vet nursed. We also had 2 pups get it when I was younger. One didn't make it. Maj, who made it to the age of 15 did survive but its a nasty disease.

• Like 1

This is the abstract from the study, from here

Canine parvovirus (CPV-2) is an important cause of hemorrhagic enteritis in dogs. In Australia the disease has been associated with CPV-2a and CPV-2b variants. A third more recently emerged variant overseas, CPV-2c, has not been detected in surveys of the Australian dog population. In this study, we report three cases of canine parvoviral enteritis associated with CPV-2c infection; case 1 occurred in an 8-week-old puppy that died following acute hemorrhagic enteritis. Cases 2 and 3 were an 11-month-old female entire Saint Bernard and a 9-month-old male entire Siberian husky, respectively, both which had completed vaccination schedules and presented with vomiting or mild diarrhea only. Full genomic sequencing of parvoviral DNA from cases 1, 2, and 3 revealed greater than 99% homology to known CPV-2c variants and predicted protein sequences from the VP2 region of viral DNA from all three cases identified; glutamic acid residues at the 426 amino acid residue, characteristic of the CPV-2c variant. Veterinary professionals should be aware that CPV-2c is now present in Australia, detected in a puppy and vaccinated young adult dogs in this study. Further characterization of CPV-2c-associated disease and its prevalence in Australian dogs requires additional research.

Edited by kayla1
  • Like 4