a query on dog descriptions (seeking homes)

browsing, as one does to look into the eyes of animals lacking permanent homes ...

One dog description  clearly stated that dog was never to have contact with children under 18  at home  , dog was not to be taken to any public area frequented by dogs ...and dog was being worked with by a professional , ongoing - cost to be owner's  , once homed. 

my one thought was ... why is it being offered? (no, not scumtree, or private)

So sad , such a restrictive life .....

Sounds like a certain dog I knew well, and as we know there are people out there that think it's fine to rehome dogs like that because euthanasia is cruelly depriving a dog of life, regardless of what that life would be like and the pressure on the owner and risk to the community :mad

• Like 6

Whether or not this dog should be up for adoption is a separate issue. But their life may not be as restrictive as you think.

I know dogs who don't go on frequent walks due to anxiety. In fact some don't go on any walks. They are actually much happier for it, and do lots of other things at home for physical and mental exercise. I think these dogs actually have much better lives than dogs who get their half or full hour walk each day but nowhere near as much enrichment the rest of the time. Also not all dogs like other dogs and that's fine. I don't like all people either. :laugh:

Something to think about. :)

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Bundyburger said:

What's your query exactly? Bit confused by this post.

It sounds as though the dog is uncontrollable, dog aggressive and people aggressive.  Also sounds like one of those rescue groups which believe ALL dogs can and should be rehomed and bugger the emotional, physical or financial costs to anyone within its orbit.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Papillon Kisses said:

Whether or not this dog should be up for adoption is a separate issue. But their life may not be as restrictive as you think.

I know dogs who don't go on frequent walks due to anxiety. In fact some don't go on any walks. They are actually much happier for it, and do lots of other things at home for physical and mental exercise. I think these dogs actually have much better lives than dogs who get their half or full hour walk each day but nowhere near as much enrichment the rest of the time. Also not all dogs like other dogs and that's fine. I don't like all people either. :laugh:

Something to think about. :)

There was someone on DOL a while ago asking about walking a nervous stressed dog.  I recall I was one suggesting no walks.  There is more to life for a dog than going on walks that scare it to blazes.   It depends what is going on in other areas of the dog’s life: play at home, activities it enjoys, etc etc.   

• Like 2

I suppose its better the potential adopter knows...my dads farm would be suitable above average pet owner. No kids on a regular basis. Secure, large run. Enough room for walks without bumping into joe public. 

But they're "never having another pet". 

Point is I suppose, the right home might exist. 

Should it be adopted out .... well that's another thread.

• Like 1

perhaps funds/time could be better spent on a dog with less likelihood of problems ?

That's all ...never is a long time  to avoid kids & dogs .... I didn't go into more detail .. sorry , didn't want to make it easy to identify ... :o 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, persephone said:

perhaps funds/time could be better spent on a dog with less likelihood of problems ?

That's all ...never is a long time  to avoid kids & dogs .... I didn't go into more detail .. sorry , didn't want to make it easy to identify ... :o 

That's what worries me with dogs that need serious management - slip ups happen, they just do, no matter how careful you are. And I really think asking someone to take on that risk, as either a carer or an adoptive owner, is unfair. 

• Like 8

47 minutes ago, persephone said:

I follow a no kill cat rescue.i often think the same thing. Lots ( i mean often $1000s) poured i to kittens with life long issues. I know its sounds heartless to say... but its the same every kitten season..blind kittens with the flu being saved. 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, persephone said:

browsing, as one does to look into the eyes of animals lacking permanent homes ...

One dog description  clearly stated that dog was never to have contact with children under 18  at home  , dog was not to be taken to any public area frequented by dogs ...and dog was being worked with by a professional , ongoing - cost to be owner's  , once homed. 

my one thought was ... why is it being offered? (no, not scumtree, or private)

So sad , such a restrictive life .....

Considering that we are all "crazy dog people", and we know lots of other "crazy dog people"... how many of us or our friends would be prepared to give a dog like that a home?

Makes you wonder about the mentality of someone who would actually adopt an animal with severe issues like this, yes?

Then again, maybe the dog could be offered to a security company... could make a reasonable guard dog for sites that need protecting from egress by strangers (if it's a larger breed).

T.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Scottsmum said:

I follow a no kill cat rescue.i often think the same thing. Lots ( i mean often $1000s) poured i to kittens with life long issues. I know its sounds heartless to say... but its the same every kitten season..blind kittens with the flu being saved. 

I understand what you mean, Scottsmum, but one of my daughters has, for many years, worked with rescue to nurse many flu kittens back to health.  They are blind mostly only temporarily and yes, some die despite the best of efforts, but that is no reason not to try if there is an experienced rescuer prepared to do so.  My other daughter's big cat is the only survivor of a litter stricken with cat flu and he is the picture of health and a poster boy for saving a life.  Ringworm and cat flu are, in most instances, no reason to kill.

1 hour ago, stellnme said:

I understand what you mean, Scottsmum, but one of my daughters has, for many years, worked with rescue to nurse many flu kittens back to health.  They are blind mostly only temporarily and yes, some die despite the best of efforts, but that is no reason not to try if there is an experienced rescuer prepared to do so.  My other daughter's big cat is the only survivor of a litter stricken with cat flu and he is the picture of health and a poster boy for saving a life.  Ringworm and cat flu are, in most instances, no reason to kill.

I've seen this group remove the eyes from at least 3 kittens in the time I've owned Scottie (3.5 years).

I know flu isn't a reason to kill and I know it's easy for me to say sitting at the other end of the keyboard.  Literally thousands of dollars to save these kittens - are they worth it?  Yes, absolutely.  Should these people be the ones to be making these choices - no - people should be more responsible with their cats.  Could they do a lot more with their money - in general I think so. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, tdierikx said:

Considering that we are all "crazy dog people", and we know lots of other "crazy dog people"... how many of us or our friends would be prepared to give a dog like that a home?

Makes you wonder about the mentality of someone who would actually adopt an animal with severe issues like this, yes?

Then again, maybe the dog could be offered to a security company... could make a reasonable guard dog for sites that need protecting from egress by strangers (if it's a larger breed).

T.

I've seen trainers (second hand, not personally) like Steve from K9 pro make real differences to dogs like this.  Some people might have it in their hearts & homes to take on a dog like this.  Me? no, not knowlingly.  After living with separation anxiety I wouldnt willingly take on a project dog, but I'm sure others would. 

• Like 1

This is one of the things that upsets and angers me about rescue, some animals should not be rehomed and this sounds like one of them, there are so many needing homes why do people waste money and resources on those that clearly are potentially dangerous or have such severe issues.

Anyone that thinks every animal should be saved should not be in rescue.

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, Scottsmum said:

I've seen trainers (second hand, not personally) like Steve from K9 pro make real differences to dogs like this.  Some people might have it in their hearts & homes to take on a dog like this.  Me? no, not knowlingly.  After living with separation anxiety I wouldnt willingly take on a project dog, but I'm sure others would

(Part emphasised)

This is true.  When I was a volunteer at a pound and then involved in rescue, I used to say that there is a home for every animal -- it was finding that home.  If you have unlimited resources and could advertise every dog/cat/other on the front page of every newspaper in the land, well that home could probably be found.   Whether it should be or not is a whole different question.  Remember there was the discussion once about taking dogs out of a pound and putting them into kennels where some were left to languish for not months, but years because the rescue person/group did not have a foster carer or could not find a home for the dog.  That sort of thing is totally unethical in my book and so is rehoming people aggressive dogs.  I don’t believe others should suffer because someone thinks all dogs should be saved.  There are enough idiots in the world without deliberately putting into their control an aggressive dog.   

• Like 6

It's a big ask of an open adoptee but obviously dogs with issues like this sometimes become foster fails if they have other redeeming qualities. I'd put Tempeh in this category. We manage because she chose us when we were fostering her and we felt like her best forever option with her issues. She is quirky and loveable in her own way and luckily as she ages and we keep her fears under control she is mellowing.

As anyone with a difficult dog knows it takes commitment. How many committed open adoptees exist for dogs like this though and where do you find them?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dame Danny's Darling said:

(Part emphasised)

This is true.  When I was a volunteer at a pound and then involved in rescue, I used to say that there is a home for every animal -- it was finding that home.  If you have unlimited resources and could advertise every dog/cat/other on the front page of every newspaper in the land, well that home could probably be found.   Whether it should be or not is a whole different question.  Remember there was the discussion once about taking dogs out of a pound and putting them into kennels where some were left to languish for not months, but years because the rescue person/group did not have a foster carer or could not find a home for the dog.  That sort of thing is totally unethical in my book and so is rehoming people aggressive dogs.  I don’t believe others should suffer because someone thinks all dogs should be saved.  There are enough idiots in the world without deliberately putting into their control an aggressive dog.   

No.  I think I agree.  

I'm not even sure if there is a home for every animal.  I owned a blue bitch back in the mid 90's - incredibly well breed - came from one of the premier foundation breeders.  She was a crazy as a cut snake, and was so from the day we picked her up.  I ended up with her because she hated the man my mother was married to (and rightly so LOL) - she was aggressive to all males, she was hyper protective of me, she'd hide under the house for days if I wasn't around and howl (actually yodel like a dingo).  She was nuts!  Should have probably been put down early on, then one day - out of the blue she dropped dead.  We never did a PM on her - but it was really odd.  She'd been in the run with the other dogs for less than an hour while we moved some stock.  She never really was OK :(

Fast forward 20 odd years and lets face it S.A. (well for us) was not all that serious.  Scottie was never a danger to more than himself, my carpet and anything below knee height. But it consumed my life. I can't genuinely compare him to a dangerous or reactive dog - so I should have stressed "project dog" in the broadest of terms.   I do not agree with years in kennels just waiting, I have very strong opinions that the case that unfolded here on DOL recently came to the right outcome and the alternative was not even remotely right (there may have been a middle ground).  

All in all, as I said up further - I think its great the add is honest.  Do I think the dog should be re-homed...  Maybe, possibly no, erring on the side of no. 

• Like 3

Well in the case of your Scottie and your blue bitch, they did find a home that was caring, understanding and committed.   :)   :thumbsup: . The main point that needs making with the rehoming of “difficult" dogs though is the level of commitment an owner makes, wants to makes, thinks okay, etc etc and what is the right amount of commitment needed to make the dog happy and the owner and others safe.  Each dog is an individual; it is a discussion that could go on forever and, if the dog is languishing in kennels while the discussion goes on, I think that is wrong.  (Just speaking generally - I don’t know where or with whom the dog persephone posted about is.)

• Like 2

I have seen numerous like that from rescue groups and I think it's scary .

One I read even statedhuman aggression issues that requiredon going support and a home that didn't have visitors .

Questions the liability factor 

• Like 2