how often to use a young stud dog?

bridgie_cat

Hello, 

I have a question for the lovely experienced stud owners here! 

I have 2 bitches here to mate to the same dog, and of course they have ovulated 1.5 days apart (by prog testing) - one came in much earlier and has risen slowly, the other came in 5 days later but came up much faster!  They have ovulated wednesday morning and thursday night/friday morning, respectively.  The first we got a tie Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings (yes, started a bit early - it is a 24hr wait for prog results here and cannot get any Friday - Sunday done so we were guessing by behaviour and days etc).  The second we got a slip mating Saturday night (was able to hold him in for 10mins, everything in but the bulb), and then a long tie Sunday night.  She is the one who is rising fast... and I wonder if she will go off again fast.  

The boy is 2yo, but has not sired anything at this stage. Had his sperm tested the week before doing the matings and he does appear to have a good number and quality of sperm. 

Now - he is absolutely DESPERATE tonight to get to the second girl, probably more so than yesterday, at least equal.  I had planned to give him a 48hr break being a young dog and not used to this kind of work (he is no physically tired at all - keen as a bean! just thinking that I dont want to exhaust his store of swimmers) given we have done matings all of last week (with 48hr breaks) but now have done 2 with only a 24hr break ... but not sure if I should let them if they are seeming that keen? And am thinking it is very possible the second girl will go off quickly now as whilst she only ovulated thursday night/friday morning her numbers were coming up quickly... 

So what do you all think? 

The breed is a Shetland Sheepdog.  

a bit late to help you now but thoroughbred stallions served mares 3 times a day back in the day when they had a restriction of 60 mares a season. No one missed out if several were ready at the same time. I think the number they can now serve is 100 so I imagine they are still serving 3 or even 4 a day (24 hr period) when needed. I would have let your boy mate your 2nd girl again. Fingers crossed for puppies from both girls.

Thanks Rebanne - I did mate them again that night. So she ended up with 3 days running, slip, tie, tie. Break the day after and by Wednesday she is growling at him so going off. 

Time will tell now how it has all gone!!  

Love this dog and borrowed from a good friend 10hrs away so everything crossed that at least one has taken!  Hopefully both as quite different combinations, even if it means we will be a bit busy :) 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

have done ultrasounds in the last week - first bitch has a good size litter - i count 5-6? rough count.  Second bitch has 2 that I can see.  She is however the smaller/more compact and older bitch (3yrs vs 2yrs) - both are first time litters. Second girl obviously did not get mated over longer period so would not have been covering whole fertile window as with first - went off quickly too. So, many factors could be influencing litter size - but just reporting back that both are preg and now fingers crossed that all goes well :)  

• Like 1