Coming into season before desexing.

Ghost

Hi all, 

I'm new to the forum. We got a Finnish Lapphund 4 weeks ago. She's 12 weeks old tomorrow. 

The breeder had me sign a contract to not desex until after 12 months. Which is fine by me. But I remember a friends female coming on heat and she dripped blood everywhere. Will that happen to my little girl too? How do I deal with that? I've seen ads for puppy underwear, will I need that? 

I rent at the moment, hoping to build in a couple of years but in the meantime I have no idea what to expect as in the past have had one female puppy desexed at 6 months or only male dogs mostly. 

Sorry, I'm a bit of a novice. 

Thanks for any replies. 

Kitty. 

My Finnish Lapphund girls are impeccably clean little creatures from their first season. I notice my youngest girl's discharge for the first few hours of her starting but after that she cleans herself. 

Most of them came into season around 7mths of age although I have known of some that don't come in until 18mths. 

Your breeder should be able to give you more support and let you know if your little girl has clean relatives or dirty grots :P

Also photos are required!! 

(One of my Kelpies was messy and I did get her some panties for the first week of her season.)

• Like 3

My Springer girls are grubs :laugh: If I need to I use the pants from Petstock - I think they're designed for incontinent dogs. But Em is always getting them off so I tend to just cover the lounge with old sheets, exercise her hard on our back block (multiple sessions), do buckets of training (she goes mental when she's in season) and then crate her for the rest of the time. I have an entire male so the girls sleep in their crates in the lounge room for a few weeks. Just easier. 

To be honest it's not that bad - outside under supervision only and then indoors. Either the bitch or the dog is with me at all times to ensure no accidents. 

• Like 3

Depends if she even comes in before 12 months .

If you work then you need to decide how your going to house her whilst your out  ,

Your breeder if local may board her back during the main stage of her cycle .

Some come bleed everywhere others very little,keeping her pants clean during this time is more time consuming .

Know the  that live close by & what the chances of them being fence jumpers are ,also keep in mind during this time any males that live close by may be affected by your girl so be prepared if your neighbours own boys

Currently having a bitch in heat & dealing with my poor boys it isn't fun on them even though she is hidden away & on chlorophyll .

We don't use the pants either but we are a tiled house so the drips are easy to deal with & we will crate our girls during this time if need be

• 1 month later...

Some girls have lighter discharge on their first season too, so your girl may not be particularly messy if at all.  I keep disinfectant on hand, put polar fleece blankets and sheets down and wash a lot.  The knickers are good to have on hand but they can be a lot of work and some girls really object to them.  The most important part is to make sure your girl is secure when she's in season when you're away from home even if you don't have an undesexed male.  It's very UN-FUN at my place right now as my girl is Day 13 and I also have a 5 yr old ratbag boy who knows all about pretty girls.  He is day boarding at very secure kennels for these main few days while I'm at work so I can be sure of no mishaps or injuries.  Giving her chlorophyll helps too.