Simparica

I haven't seen Budget's Simparica ads but have seen their ones for Nexgard Spectra, a new product that combines Nexgard and Interceptor Spectrum / Milbemax (milbemycin oxime). I'm going to have to do my sums to see whether it's cheaper than Nexgard + Milbemax. It'd definitely be cheaper than Nexgard + Interceptor Spectrum.

ETA actually not the same has doesn't have praziquantel. Oops!!

Edited by Papillon Kisses

This is a fairly comprehensive rundown (as at late last year) on what product covers what. No product in Australia covers everything.
Here is the website for Simparica - for flea and tick control only.
The active ingredient in it is fairly new to Australia and I don't know if it would be effective against paralysis ticks. 

Edited by RuralPug
forgot the first link OOOPS

The active ingredient in it is fairly new to Australia and I don't know if it would be effective against paralysis ticks. 

Hmm, they should probably disclaim that... 

It's like when we were using Sentinel  a few years ago (or interceptor (?) can't remember which is which) 

It says kills several different worms and fleas. It says in tiny fine print that it doesn't kill adult fleas, only the younger stages, which I'd read at one stage but must've forgotten.

We have never seen a flea on Scrappi, but he kept getting flare ups of itchiness and sore skin in Spring. The vet thought it was seasonal allergies for ages until the next Spring she found a tiny bit of flea dirt on his back. Turns out fleas had jumped on, bitten and jumped off, probably living in the grass and dogs who he sees, but since he is so allergic to flea saliva he was reacting really badly with dermatitis.

Since I'd never seen fleas on him, and I thought  he was covered with flea treatment, and since the vet told me it was grass allergies I thought nothing more of it (until we realised of course) 

So now we use Advantage instead... (and with good food & coconut oil) we haven't had any issues since :) 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ok, so I wandered into petbarn today and they tell me that it has been tested on paralysis ticks in studies (paid for by zoetis I imagine) and that it's supposed to have a close to 100% kill rate of fleas and ticks within 8hrs. So whether it kills fleas as fast as comfortis (about 30 mins I think, though that doesn't do ticks) they didn't know - as in the data/advertising they've been shown only listed 8hrs as the earliest. It may not have been tested in a shorter timeframe yet. I guess where it differs is instead of 30 day protection it's guaranteed to 35 days so you get a few days leeway if you forget.

It also does mange mites, demodex mites and ear mites. It would be interesting to see tests comparing something like advocate to simparica for mange treatment and see if you'd need to treat the dog for as long.