Feeding 9 week pure breed lab

After some suggestions on what we can feed him. He had a stomach bug when we got him to has been on chicken mince and rice

Have received a bucket of royal canin kibble from the breeder with some barf and tin of sardine

Anything more that I can mix with the kibble?

Thank you.. anxious first time Doggy mum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Talk to your breeder, they should be able to help. Hopefully they gave you a diet sheet or similar. But some of the things I add in for my puppies is eggs, pasta, chicken wings/necks. Wait until his upset stomach has settled before changing too much.

• Like 1

What sort of stomach bug?

I used to breed Labs and have brought 100+ pups to at least 8 weeks.  Don't remember ever encountering a tummy bug.  Have had pups puke from eating too much or too fast, but not often. Have had pups get VERY carsick and scare their new owners... before I decided it's best to fast them for several hours before travel.

If the pup is showing serious Sicky signs, see a vet.  Infections can wipe out little guys pretty badly.

BARF and sardines are good :)

Personally I'm not too sure about Royal Canin but if it works for you and your dog that's good, just go with what your breeder says while he's a pup :)

My dogs get kibble for breakfast and some variation of "raw" for dinner.

Either BARF, raw Chicken drumsticks/wings, or homemade raw mix (For it to be balanced, you should meet a ratio of 80:10:10 of meat:bone:organ.) It isn't necessary that every meal is to this ratio, but it is best to balance it over a week or so. In our house we feed the bones for one dinner, and then a mix of meat & liver for the next dinner.

When your Lab is fully grown it would be feasible to balance the one meal since Labs are quite big.

Say maybe 1 chicken drumstick, 1 chicken liver, and fill the rest of the meal out with meat. (And extras if you like.) check out

http://www.raw4dogs.com/calculate.htm

http://perfectlyrawsome.com/pmr-barf-dog-cat-raw-feeding-calculators/

For meats we get cheap lamb or pork offcuts and cut that off the bone, and then add either chicken hearts, chicken giblets, lamb hearts, beef hearts, or any other meat, and then for the organs I give a very little piece of chicken or lamb liver.  All of this you can buy at woolies. We just buy a few weeks worth and portion it out into meal-sized plastic tubs and freeze it, defrosting the night before as needed. :)

To add on top of kibble you could try;

- a whole raw egg (incl. shell is fine, dogs will usually eat it) once a week or so, not too often.

- fruit & veg safe for dogs such as carrots, sweet potato, banana, apple (no seeds), blueberries, leftover strawberry tops  (my dog's fave) 

- a spoonful of plain sugar free yoghurt or a little cottage cheese (special treat only) 

-a teaspoon of coconut oil (healthy and delicious to dogs!! This is the best on the list I think) 

- sardines as you mentioned, sometimes a little bit of tuna (in water)

Edited by Scrappi&Monty

Woollies Homebrand Mackerel in spring water is a good cheap alternative to tuna (and is a more sustainable fish). Here is a piccie of the Mackerel in oil; the mackerel in water is similar in appearance. It costs around $1.70

Henry and Saffy think all their birthday's have come at once when I put it in their bowls

591580cc41dc7_Screenshotfrom2017-05-1219-23-54.png.206c2a543615e1295d2c1fcc246991d4.png

Edited by Boronia
  • Like 2