Moving vets

Caitlin888

Hi everyone, 

My 5 month old poodle cross is going to be desexed very soon and I think it would be best we move vets for many reasons,

1) The current vet is much more expensive than the vet we are considering moving too

2) our pup has a much better connection with the other vet (as she was his puppy trainer) and he growls at our current vet

We don't just want to leave our current vet without an explanation, calling her could make it quite awkward and I don't feel comfortable telling her it is too expensive and that our pup likes another vet better. What and how should we tell her we want to move on. Is an email a suitabale form of response? Or will they then call us and start questioning us on why we are leaving? Any tips on what we could say to her?

thanks so much all tips much appreciated!

Do you have a history with the vet prior to having this pup?

For me personally, unless I had a pretty close relationship with the vet or they had been through a lot with me and my pets and gone above and beyond, I would just move without telling them anything. Unless they know you well I wouldn't think they would go beyond maybe sending you standard reminders to pursue you.

Edited by Simply Grand
  • Like 5

I doubt they'd call, they may send a letter/text/email but they aren't likely to have the resources to chase people up on it, and they understand that people move vets for various reasons. Plus many vets understand that whether to desex and at what age depends on a whole lot of circumstances and don't chase clients to do it at any certain time.

Don't stress about it :)

Edited by Simply Grand
  • Like 1

Simply grand, but we recently got a letter in the mail saying"Fudge is due for desexing" so I assumed if we moved vets without saying anything they may call us to arrange an appointment. I guess we will move vets and wait and see if they contact us

It will be a standard letter they send out, you'll probably get a 'Fudge is due for vaccinations' one at some point too  (and just quietly it's a great business practice because many people do respond to letters like that by just saying ok and making the booking without thinking any further about it) but you aren't under any obligation, it will be something the computer system flags for the receptionist or vet nurses to send out. 

Going with a vet you and your pet feel comfortable with is the most important thing, you want to feel comfortable asking them questions if you feel unsure about something or want to know more, and you don't want your dog stressed at the vet.

It's something to remember in all dealings with your pup and other people, as decent humans we often feel obligated to be polite above all else but really we are our dog's only protectors (especially when they are puppies and/or only small) so sometimes we have to do things other people may not love in order to stand up for our pups. I really don't think you need to worry at all in this circumstance but there may be times when you have to yell at someone else or someone else's dog to give yours space, or tell someone they can't pat, or tell a trainer or vet you aren't comfortable with something, and that's fine, that's our job as owners! We know our own pets better than anyone else does and a good vet, trainer or dog owner will understand that :)

Edited by Simply Grand
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, persephone said:

Just move - as SG explained .. :)

I regularly use more than one vet and have never been asked to justify going to another clinic.

• Like 3

My decision would be based on the vet that provides the best honest care  and listens to me as a client .

Your pup may hate your new vet too after awhile or if that vet isn't on Not likethe other vets so not a reason I would base a change on solely .

We are very pedantic about a vets ,we base our decision on quality care,realible service,we use two clinics both privately owned and those vets are full time ,great surgeons,have farm backgrounds and common sense,we don't use chained owned clinics where the vets come and go like you change your undies and there all about selling package deals .

Price is a factor and our vets are way cheaper than the chained owned clinics and both offer superior knowledge and consistency.

you don't need to to tell your vet anything ,you can use who you want but ask about after hr care ,if dogs need overnight care what is there system(most vets in WA for example are clinics only and send dogs to Murdoch uni overnight ,a place we would never ever use)

Also ask vets about hidden costs ,some give a base price for spaying and then when you drop off suddenly inform you of optional extras .

16 hours ago, Caitlin888 said:

Thanks for the reply Simply Grand, we haven't had any pets before this and our current pup has only been there twice.

Yep.  Just move.  Your pet’s health and happiness is more important to you than the vet’s feelings.  

Unless it is a practice with several vets and one in particular is failing in the ability and caring stakes and then I would report to the practice owner/manager.  

It's your choice which practitioner you use, whether it be a Vet, a Doctor, Dentist, Electrician, Lawn Mowing man etc. Do you explain to those people why you move to another?

No need to respond to any reminders you get from the current Vet. They will not follow it up and if in the rare case tehy do then you just tell them it has already been done. No need  to elaborate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Airedaler said:

No need to respond to any reminders you get from the current Vet. They will not follow it up and if in the rare case tehy do then you just tell them it has already been done. No need  to elaborate.

I keep getting text reminders from a vet I’ve never heard of about a dog I’ve never owned LOL.  I have advised them of their mistake - to no avail :laugh:  :laugh:

• Like 1

Yes I'm about to move down the south coast.  And the thought of changing vets is enough to send me into a spin (I love my vets!).  And because I'll be bouncing up and down to Adelaide I think I'll keep my current vets (for continuities sake - big believer in continuity) and introduce myself to a local south coast vet for emergencies.  A sort of 'shared care'. Then when I get a new dog I'll start them off at the local vet (assuming all goes well there).  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, westiemum said:

Yes I'm about to move down the south coast.  And the thought of changing vets is enough to send me into a spin (I love my vets!).  And because I'll be bouncing up and down to Adelaide I think I'll keep my current vets (for continuities sake - big believer in continuity) and introduce myself to a local south coast vet for emergencies.  A sort of 'shared care'. Then when I get a new dog I'll start them off at the local vet (assuming all goes well there).  

I did that when we moved a good 40 minutes away (without traffic) - It was crazy hard but worth it.  I even took Scottie out to our old vet for a "pre-purchase" check up with a vet I trusted. 

To the OP - Changing can be hard - but at the same time you have to feel comfortable. 

WM depending where you are moving too on the South Coast, but the Encounter Bay vet looks after one of my friends dogs and she is an advocate for them as they are caring and thorough, the  vet owns the practice, not one of those vet clinics owned by a chain.

Of course I highly recommend my vet but we are at Aberfoyle Park, not quite the South coast.

I hate to jump in on someone else's topic but I too am considering changing vets. Very unsure though. We have been using the same practice for approx. 20 years now. It is a small home based practice so he has always been very good on prices. His care (after hours also) has always been extremely good. Everyone is very friendly and knows us and our animals. Our first problem arose when our vet passed away a few years ago. All the good ones go too soon. The practice is still run from his home and everything is still the same except now there are 3 different vets working on alternate days. I always like the idea of seeing the same person. Unfortunately we can't always see the same one now. Animals don't need attention just on the days the favoured vet works. When my Zena first showed symptoms of something being wrong the vet that we saw couldn't find anything wrong with her although she did do a blood and urine test. These tests showed nothing Four days later Zena was unwell again and due to a problem with the vets phone service ( I couldn't contact them about getting an appointment)I decided to take her to another practice. This guy I have heard exceptional comments about and within minutes of Zena being examined he had detected a mass on her spleen. My mind went frantic and thought how come 4 days earlier at my other vets nothing had been picked up. Her belly to me hadn't changed and neither had her symptoms. Now I am left wondering how good are they. Is this new guy that I went to a bit more experienced. I only want my pets to receive the best of care. Obviously in Zena's case even if they had found it earlier it was always going to be the same outcome but I just don't know if I can trust them. But I feel my loyalties lie with my original practice. I honestly don't know what I am going to do. 

• 2 weeks later...

If it was me I'd just call and ask for my pet's medical history to be sent to my new vet. Clear, honest and upfront. Hopefully stops reminder letters being sent unnecessarily (it would cost the clinic time and money to send out reminders too).