Taking things off tables

Caitlin888

;) you definitely have a puppy !

Basically , pup and you need some education . 
YOU need to learn a bit more about how pups/dogs think , and HE needs to learn that  NOTHING in the house is HIS . 
It is normal behaviour ..and it is the Humans' responsibility to make sure pup CAN'T make a mistake ;) 

I hope these articles will give you a bit of help :) 

https://www.thespruce.com/stop-dog-from-counter-surfing-1118233

https://ferndogtraining.com/how-to-stop-counter-surfing/

Edited by persephone
  • Like 1

Do not let him have free range of you home, he needs time out and should have a crate to be put into and ignored for an hour or two, then you have to start being the "boss" and train him that everything in the house is not for his pleasure, you have some good things to read up on as sent to you by Persephone.

I notice that you have posted on several things that your puppy has been doing, is this your first dog? may I suggest that once the pup turns six months that you enrol in an obedience club they will not only train your dog but they will train you.

• Like 2

Whoops sorry saw the age.

The are some trainers who offer 'senior puppy' classes for dogs of your poodle x's age. This might be a good way for you to get extra support from a professional to help with these puppy issues. A home consult is another option.

Here's a list from Delta sorted by people offering Senior Puppy classes.

You may also find a suitable trainer listed on the PPGA site.

Edited by Papillon Kisses
  • Like 2

I haven't dealt with a puppy in an age, but my last dog was anxious & one thing that helped was a program / philosophy called "nothing in life is free" (or NILF). I resisted for ages because I thought it sounded harsh & mean, but when i really put effort into it it was great. Its worth looking at. 

(& please note NOT saying that your dog is anxious. Just that sometimes new training ideas can seem "not quite right" - i discounted a few that I wish I'd tried earlier. )

Good luck!

Edited by Scottsmum

Most dogs thive on NILIF because it gives them a clear and consistent idea of how things work in the household, which they prefer to the way we as humans will often have different expectations on different days, depending on our moods, what else is happening etc. Although it could sound strict and "mean" on the surface it actually also gives the dog a sense of control because they learn they can get and do things they want most of the time, they just have to figure out how to earn it :)

Edited by Simply Grand
  • Like 3

NILIF

http://k9protraining.com.au/2007/03/07/nilif-nothing-in-life-is-free/

its yer choice

http://dogsthatlisten.com/tim/

The whole Tim Ferris podcast interview with Susan Garrett (and lots of games for training the well behaved house dog)
http://tim.blog/2016/11/14/susan-garrett/

Scottsmum and Simply Grand what is 'Nothing in life is free"?

Thanks SG & Mrs RB. Both well said. 

I wish I'd clued in earlier & been more consistent. 

• Like 2

Do not let him have free range of you home, he needs time out and should have a crate to be put into and ignored for an hour or two, then you have to start being the "boss" and train him that everything in the house is not for his pleasure, you have some good things to read up on as sent to you by Persephone.

I notice that you have posted on several things that your puppy has been doing, is this your first dog? may I suggest that once the pup turns six months that you enrol in an obedience club they will not only train your dog but they will train you.

Sorry Mjosa but I have to say I disagree with some of this.  A crate shouldn't be a place of punishment and timeout doesn't necessarily teach a dog anything. Feedback has to happen the moment a behaviour occurs or the pup will have no idea whats going on.  By the time they're carried to a timeout area the lesson is gone. 

Rather than allowing a situation where you feel you want to punish behaviour you don't like, its best to manage the environment to make sure it doesn't happen in the first place (or again).  Anything you don't want in a pups' mouth should be out of reach and if that's impossible an exercise pen (or crate if you have to) is handy when they aren't being supervised. I agree free range isn't great until you know they can be trusted.  

To keep a pup busy with things you want him to do, you need to make sure you have plenty of enrichment on offer.  If he's left with nothing to do, or with things he doesn't chew or play with then he'll find his own entertainment and it might not be what you like. Mental enrichment can also include behavioural or trick training as well.  Hopefully every day some type of training is occuring, Poodles are smart little dogs and most animals love to learn new things.  This is a series of great videos on things to train a puppy to help create a well behaved adult.  It wouldn't matter your puppy is a bit older, the lessons will still be valuable for you both :)  Kikopup:  things to train and not to train

I've never seen NILIF but, after reading the link, it seems that is how I train my animals, even the horse and cat. It is very simple and very effective. The trick for people is getting out of the 'no' habit. No is not a command. Instead of No, replace it with what you want the animal to do. You kill two birds with one stone doing that. The animal becomes attuned to the command, which can later be used in varying situations, and you get to reward a correct response. No has nothing you can reward for. Leave it and drop it are good replacements for touching / chewing / looking to chase. Sit, drop, even bang are good options to stop jumping. Think of what you want the dog to do instead of what it is doing.

• Like 2