CARERS FOR DESPERATE KOOLIES

If you have ever wondered what it would be like to live with a Koolie here is your opportunity.

Australian Koolie Rescue is about to have a massive influx of dogs needing foster carers. There will be 50+ dogs, they're currently getting medical care before they're ready to go. But wwe are looking for as many people as possible, preferably with knowledge of working dogs, to put their hands up to help.

Anyone who is wanting to help in any way(even for transport) please pop out to AKRs website (https://www.koolierescue.org.au/forms) and download, fill in and send the foster form, so they can locate you when transport or assistance is needed. Send it to [email protected]

We are always looking for foster carers and an amazing number of fosters end up as foster failures.   Let me know when you are ready.   It could be up to 75 - we are only a small rescue so don't know how we are going to cope but we will give it our best shot.

Oh I wish I could foster!! My heart is constantly trying to figure out ways I could foster but my head knows that realistically I shouldn't at the moment. I could potentially foster baby pups but I figure they are all adults? 

I would be reluctant to foster adults due to one of my dogs having reactivity issues with new dogs, and also probably even if they do get on well I wouldn't want to leave a new dog unsupervised with mine, just until they get to know each other and sort out who's who, just to be sensible and cautious. 

Could possibly transport though, whereabouts are you based? I might be able to (do you mean just in a regular car?) if you are in the Sydney or Hunter Valley area. 

Edited by Scrappi&Monty

What happened is sub judice and I cannot say anything, not least because I don't know anything.   Transport may be very useful, yes in ordinary cars, just fill in a form and contact Christine at the email address on the top post.

• Like 2

OMG - I only knew of one person with that many Koolies - but he was so old - wasn't sure if he was still going...  They were extremely well trained tho.  Not sure about house trained.   Probably not.

Will they be available in SA - maybe we could put something on the agility pages?  They're very popular for that.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket
  • Like 1

Have you tried the ACT Companion Dog Club? Some of their agility people might be interested. Also I know a retired farmer who loves dogs and who used to have Koolies. Is there an information page I could give him?

Both emails should work.

The ACT Companion Dog Club is a good idea.   We don't have the dogs yet and have no more information than I have already put in here - we are just trying to prepare for the deluge.   If your farmer friend contacts one of the email addresses someone will keep him informed.

Will there be any info about the dogs put on the website at some point PM?  Anything about where they've come from or potential social\behavioural issues someone considering fostering should be aware of?  Have any of them had any training or been working etc?  

• Like 3

Same question from me.  I've mentioned them to some poultry people looking at a new dog for house-pet plus just backyard chook protection.  I know Koolies have done well at this, same as Border Collies, (and same as my own dogs) not herding chooks but keeping a protective eye - and without being full on livestock guardians like Maremmas, just a happy medium.  But can't promote too much until a little more of what is available is known. 

It's good to know about them at this early stage so can make more widely known when the time is right, I'm still a bit stunned at the numbers.

Edited by PossumCorner
fixt lazy spellink

Well, I volunteered to take one in or help with transportation. I sent the form a couple of days ago, but haven't heard anything yet. They must be overwhelmed with 50 neglected doggies (and not just any dogs, but koolies!).

I was a bit overwhelmed with the foster care form and I couldn't see anywhere on there where I could put that I was happy to provide transport but didn't have any vacant foster places, so I just messaged their FB page, telling them the size of my dog float, areas I could transport to etc. and that worked well.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE!
The first five Koolie Rescues have completed their medical needs.
All are desexed, micro-chipped and inoculated and in good health, no flea/worms.
Transport has been organised and they will be joining their foster cares over the next few days.
Though initially very frightened many have calmed down and give us every confidence with a little rehab, training, patiences and a lot of TLC these Koolie Rescue will be available for adoption soon

• Like 3